mtbr member
    May 2004

2003 Intense tracer

I'm trying to justify a new bike. Is my 2003 intense tracer outdated? I did upgrade the rear shock
    to an RP23.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I've ridden "vintage" mountain bikes for years, so maybe this will help you think it through. My bikes were older full suspension designs, but good designs (all 1998 timeframe). Then I eventually bought a 2009 Tracer VP, somewhat on a whim. I've done a lot of bike demos, and what I've found was that with good components (I had fairly modern fork and shock on my '98 bike (2008 fork, 2004 shock), modern wheels, etc), the new bikes were better, but not thousands of dollars better. Don't get me wrong, my Tracer VP is the best bike I've ridden (once I got it tuned in). But the older stuff still holds up well if it was a good design to start with. Your Tracer has the FSR suspension, a proven design, so if you're happy with it, no need to get a new one.

That said, nothing makes you get out on the bike more than having a new bike, so don't feel guilty if you get a new one!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think you have answered your own question. If you have upgraded the shock, then you have noticed the changes in technology. Well they do not stop there.

Take a new tracer or carbine or whatever out for a test ride and see for yourself. Maybe you are comfotable on your bike now, but have not noticed the change in updated geometry.

Buy used if you cannot afford a brand new one. There are tons of good tracers and spiders out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've spent the last decade trying to justify a new bike. Finally after consistent pleading I have got the 'order number' from the home financial controller (cited mid-life crisis) and my 1999 Uzzi SL is about to become the spare to my new T275.
    Feel like a kid again so excited waiting for it to arrive. Still a couple of weeks away but has renewed my passion and the Uzzi is getting a flogging at the moment.
    I think the new technology, bigger travel and more efficient peddling platform certainly justifies the expense. But that is me.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Foeg View Post
    Finally after consistent pleading I have got the 'order number' from the home financial controller (cited mid-life crisis) and my 1999 Uzzi SL is about to become the spare to my new T275.
    Feel like a kid again so excited waiting for it to arrive. ....

It is never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Tom Robbins