on my 3rd wind...

2001 Tracer's exact location of common crack area

I just purchased a '01 Tracer as a backup to my 01 Tracer. Yes, I love my Tracer. I love it even more after having my Fox shock "pushed". I have a few questions for regarding older (prior to '02 model) where some riders have experienced cracked in seat tower and seat post interfaced area. I am fully aware that it's not an issue with every Tracer. I've heard that, however, few larger riders have experienced cracked in this particular area, and as a result, Intense has reinforced the area on '02 and later model. I just want to do a thoughral checkup on the used frame I just bought. Questions:

1. Can anyone explain the exact location of cracked prone area? I got an idea but I need more detail explanation that seat tower/seat post area. Picture would be nice.
    2. If it's a hairline crack, starting of a crack, or small crack you can't see, how do you go about determining there is one?
    3. If there is one, what can be done? Weld by local weld shop? Send to Intense for new weld? New front triangle frame from Intense? Does Intense still offer new front-end for $250?

Thx to anyone who can enlighten my curiosity.

STH

the refurbished one
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackHound
    ...1. Can anyone explain the exact location of cracked prone area? I got an idea but I need more detail explanation that seat tower/seat post area. Picture would be nice...
    here you go.

cheers,
    hball
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

on my 3rd wind...

2001 Tracer crack area

Holy crap! I almost threw up looking at your photo. I guess there's no secret on where that area is. How did your crack happen? What did you do to fix it? What year, size, and rider weight at the time of the incident? Thx.

Does anyone have input on other questions (#2 & 3) I have beside the picture (#1)? Thx.

STH

the refurbished one
    Holy crap! I almost threw up looking at your photo. I guess there's no secret on where that area is. How did your crack happen? What did you do to fix it? What year, size, and rider weight at the time of the incident? Thx.STH
    the crack happened by sitting on the bike. i got a new frame from intense (german distributor). the frame was from the middle of 2002. size was L, ridersize 6'1", riderweight 190lbs with gear.

cheers,
    hball
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upset Just Cracked Mine

I have a 2001 Tracer and just cracked the frame in the same exact place. Intense just got my frame and I have yet to talk to them. Any idea on my options?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Here are mine...

Mine cracked here after about a year. Intense repaired it, and paid shipping back to Norway.

And here after 2 and a half years:

I drilled holes at the end of the cracks to stop them from spreading further. It worked for a few months. Intense gave me a new front triangle, even though the warranty had expired. I called them to enquire about the price of a new front, and Bobby at warrany said they were going to give me a new one, since they had seen a few large frames crack in the same location. Great service!

Ole.

on my 3rd wind...

2001 Tracer crack area

I wish I can tell. I don't think I have a craked frame but I am just trying to get all the info I can get now, so if I do, I know what to do. Once you find out what Intense will do for you, let me know.

What size frame and rider weight are you? It seems like all same cracked area happens to large frame with heavier rider.

FYI, I dont' want people to worry about their Tracer frame cracking as all frame does will crack at some point when ridden continously many or abused. I am trying to find out on a rare occasion, when Tracer frame does crack, where does it crack the most and what needs to be done so I can get back on my bike ASAP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Just talked to Intense

I wish I can tell. I don't think I have a craked frame but I am just trying to get all the info I can get now, so if I do, I know what to do. Once you find out what Intense will do for you, let me know.

What size frame and rider weight are you? It seems like all same cracked area happens to large frame with heavier rider.

FYI, I dont' want people to worry about their Tracer frame cracking as all frame does will crack at some point when ridden continously many or abused. I am trying to find out on a rare occasion, when Tracer frame does crack, where does it crack the most and what needs to be done so I can get back on my bike ASAP.
    My choices are: 1) Fix my Frame for $175.00 2) Get a Spyder frame for $1064.00 3) Get a 5.5 frame for $1164.00. I think I am fixing my old frame. Good Choice? They said the frame looks good other than the crack.

on my 3rd wind...

Good job! 2001 Tracer crack area

Quote Originally Posted by Brihombre
    My choices are: 1) Fix my Frame for $175.00 2) Get a Spyder frame for $1064.00 3) Get a 5.5 frame for $1164.00. I think I am fixing my old frame. Good Choice? They said the frame looks good other than the crack.
    If my frame is cracked, I wish I have the same choices as you. If I was on a budget, I'll take the option 1 in a heart beat since I think so highly of Tracer and Intense product. If I can afford the option 3, I'll take that route for sure. You are sitting on a good situation. You can get your three year old frame for $175 or get the Intense's new bad a$$ frame for half the cost. Seems like Intense is taking care of their customer who own older frame they even make anymore. Nice!

Marty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Folks At Intense Were Great

If my frame is cracked, I wish I have the same choices as you. If I was on a budget, I'll take the option 1 in a heart beat since I think so highly of Tracer and Intense product. If I can afford the option 3, I'll take that route for sure. You are sitting on a good situation. You can get your three year old frame for $175 or get the Intense's new bad a$$ frame for half the cost. Seems like Intense is taking care of their customer who own older frame they even make anymore. Nice!

Marty
    They said it would take about 4-5 weeks. I thought about the 5.5 but I love the Tracer I have and all of the parts will slip back on easily. You know how it is with a new frame, it always seems some parts don't always transfer and the cost just gets higher.

on my 3rd wind...

Choices, choices...

They said it would take about 4-5 weeks. I thought about the 5.5 but I love the Tracer I have and all of the parts will slip back on easily. You know how it is with a new frame, it always seems some parts don't always transfer and the cost just gets higher.
    Since you love the Tracer, as I, you should suck it up and get it repaired. At least it's the end of biking season. While you have your bike sent way to Intese, if you haven't already done so, have your Fox rear shock "pushed" by Push Industries. They will charge you $139 but it will be the single biggest improvement you can make to your Tracer. Your bike will never ride the same. They custom tune your shock based on your weight & riding style, and shock becomes SPV style of shock that has a low & high speed compression circuit with much better rebound control. It's the real deal. Look into it!

STH

Trail Rider
    I have a 2001 Tracer and just cracked the frame in the same exact place. Intense just got my frame and I have yet to talk to them. Any idea on my options?
    What kind of rear shock did you have on it when it cracked? What size is your frame? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    What kind of rear shock did you have on it when it cracked? What size is your frame? Thanks!
    It was a large frame with an Rp3 on it.