mtbr member
    Nov 2008

2001 Tracer - Should I sell?

While new to the MTBR forums, I'm definitely not new to MTBR or Intense. With that said, I currently own a 2001 Intense Tracer and have recently been tempted to sell it and purchase the new Tracer. I ride this bike on a regular basis and have maintained it very well. However, I'd like to make the upgrade to a new bike and new parts alltogether. I'm currently running XTR 8-speed, with a brand new XT drivetrain, King/Mavic ceramic rims and Avid rim brakes. Just rebuilt the rear shock and my front fork (Marz Z.2 Atom Bomb). This bike still rocks, but I'm itching for a new ride.

I'd appreciate some feedback and your thoughts. Should I sell, or not?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    you won't get near what it's worth to you, especially since it's rim brakes. if you could afford it, keep it and get the new tracer too. but then, you probably won't ever ride the old tracer if you do that, so you will keep it as a backup bike for friends, or a ss, or somethiing. but, if your wife says.... you get the point. id keep it for nostalgia, get it ball burnished or something cool, new stickers, and have some fun with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a 01 Tracer which I bought brand new back then. I crossed the Alpes with this bike eight times, got stuck in snow storms, had some fantastic adventures with it. I upgraded it regularly, itīs now equiooed with a Rock Shox fork, Magura Marta disc brakes and Sun Ringle wheel set. I am never gonna sell this bike. I still ride it regularly and am amazed how it performs compared to the new bikes. However I purchased the new Tracer VP frame on Christmas and I am in the middle of building it. My advice: your old Tracer will not give you tons of cash when you sell it. Keep it, and if you can afford it buy a new or second hand Intense just to have something more modern (I love VP bikes, ne it a Spyder or a 5.5)
    I am an Intense fan from Germany!

mtbr member
    Don't sell!! You won't get the money you want for it. It's a legendary bike,be proud to own one,keep it.
    Intense fan from Belgium ridin' a 2000 Tracer.Still going strong.

mtbr member

Just retired my 2001 Tracer

after eight seasons of great service and bought a Titus Motolite Ti. Did I see the Tracer.....HELL NO. SHe is hanging ion the wall for now, but I will rebuild her one day.

Twenty years from now, God willing, I want to roll up to the trailhead on my retro tracer
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by []D[][]v[][]D

Twenty years from now, God willing, I want to roll up to the trailhead on my retro tracer
    Yeah,that would be awesome. Even now i'm still keeping an eye on any goodlooking Tracer frame,buy it,refurbish it,give it a nice place in the house and ocassionally ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    if the wife says that you can't have one more bike, you may have to sell as a coverup. But never tell how much money you'll lose in the process! Also, where are you going to find someone interested in an 8 year old bike. Maybe a school boy who can spend no more than lunch money....it may not even be enough to get you a set of brakes.

mtbr member
    Post a picture so we can see what's the fuss about Is it a small?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No way mate if possible hold onto her and show some TLC what a topic of conversation it could be on the trails, at home having a brew etc. Soon these will be hard to get items, I've currently got my eye on a 2003 Tracer frame

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. You all have just reassured what I already knew...don't sell. It would definitely be hard to give up my Tracer knowing all the time we've spent together. The wife would freak if Ibought a new bike, already have four. I'll post some pics soon. It's a medium in blue. I remember researching for monthsbefore buying the frame, then looked for weeks to get one in blue. While I've seen them in red, white, black and works, I've never seen another in blue! At least a 2001...

mtbr member
    I am still riding my 2001 tracer as well. i will never sell it. every year tho i think about trying something else but then when i get on my tracer it feels like the perfect bike for me.