WheelBanger
    Jun 2010

1X10 with a Carbine 275

I'm considering the different options of a 1x10 on my Carbine. So much to think about.

1. Spiderless chainring
    2. NW chainring with spider
    3. standard 11x36 cassette or 42T cog add on
    4. chainguide or no chainguide

What components are others using with success?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesrider View Post
    I'm considering the different options of a 1x10 on my Carbine. So much to think about.

1. Spiderless chainring
    2. NW chainring with spider
    3. standard 11x36 cassette or 42T cog add on
    4. chainguide or no chainguide

What components are others using with success?
    Rotor Rex cranks 104BCD, Raceface N/W 30T chainring, 11-36 Shimano XT cassette with One-up 42T cog, Shimano XTR medium cage clutch derailleur. This set up works brilliantly. No chain guide required and I ride pretty burly terrain. One thing I will be changing is the One-Up 42T cog to a Hope 40T-Rex. I find that with my setup on the Carbine that I have to dial in so much b-tension that the shifting really suffers on the smaller cogs. Its fine on the larger cogs where chain wrap is adequate. The 40T cog should help with this.

WheelBanger
    Jun 2010
    I went with the OneUp 40T and a Wolf 32T up front. OneUp tossed in a free 16T cog to replace the 17t and 15t. Should help the shifting in the lower end of the cassette.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I put a 30t in the front, cassette is 11-36 Shimano XT, with XTR shadow. NO chain guide.

Cesar

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What gears do you have now? How much more (or less) do you need?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ran 1 x 10 Shimano XT (32t on front) on both of my Carbines for 2 years now, no chain device other than clutch der, never dropped a chain

mtbr member
    I have a 1X10 setup with XT clutch derailleur and North Shore Billet 28T. So far, I need to tweak in gearing and in dropped chains. Dropping chains like crazy because I think the culprit is the North Shore Billet chainring not being narrow wide. Made the mistake of not getting a narrow wide chainring that is supposed to make all the difference. Gearing is very personal depending on pedaling strength and rides you do.

WheelBanger
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    I have a 1X10 setup with XT clutch derailleur and North Shore Billet 28T. So far, I need to tweak in gearing and in dropped chains. Dropping chains like crazy because I think the culprit is the North Shore Billet chainring not being narrow wide. Made the mistake of not getting a narrow wide chainring that is supposed to make all the difference. Gearing is very personal depending on pedaling strength and rides you do.
    A standard chainring will always drop chains, unless you have a good chainguide. The NW chainrings are not just hype, they simply work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Slx 3 ring cranks with inner and outer removed and middle replaced for race face nw 30t xt cassette 36t in the rear. Works great with clutch xt derailleur.

whatever she says gueuze.
    Anyone use a nw front and 11/36+42t rear without a clutch der? I love my XTR and just don't want to fork out the extra $$$ for another one. Just wondering if the chain will keep on dropping.

WheelBanger
    Jun 2010
    You will be best off using some kind of chainguide. Cheapest option and simpliest is a bionicon C guide. I've used one and they work great.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 34t narrow wide chain ring with SRAM 11-36 + OneUp 40 and 16 cogs with XT Shadow Plus medium cage rear derailleur. It works great, as long as the clutch mechanism doesn't fail. I've just busted my second one this season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog View Post
    ...XT Shadow Plus medium cage rear derailleur. It works great, as long as the clutch mechanism doesn't fail. I've just busted my second one this season.
    My XT has crapped out too. I don't think they were designed with chain growth in mind...