Lord of the Chain Rings

135 vs 142 Rear Triangle

Question -

I am currently using a Hope Pro II hubset on a 2010 Uzzi. I am getting a bunch of play in the front hub because it's a conversion hub that you can add the cups to make it 20mm or put the axle through and make it QR. Well, this hub stinks because there is an annoying amount of play in the front axle when converted to 20mm. So I'm thinking about either getting new hubs or a new wheel set.

I was thinking Shimano Zee or something in that realm, but I know right now I have a 135mm rear hub with a 12mm thru axle. So can I use 142 mm hubs with this rear end? Is this just an issue of having the right spacers? Thanks in advance...
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Shimano doesn't make good hubs. They just don't. They're heavy, they're a pain in the ass to maintain, and they almost always have crappy engagement.

Get Hadley hubs, and call it a day. Hadleys are lighter and cheaper than Kings. They're better made than the Hope stuff, and they have MUCH better engagement. Best of all, they will last you for years to come (we have riders around here on sets 10 years old) and Hadley will support you every time you need it.

I have no problem saying that Hadley has the best product out there for hubs.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    A little add on the what dropmachine said regarding Haldey's. You can get them with a 135x12mm setup, or if you do go with 142x12mm then you will need to buy new G3 dropouts. The great thing about the Hadley's is you can easily convert them later to any 135 config or to 142 for around $40-50. If you are in the US check with Balle Racing(balleracing.com), I get pretty much all of my Hadley stuff from him and he can set you up with whatever axle config you want. Most other shops you have to buy the 135x10 hub and then buy the conversion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have two sets of the Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs, converted to 20mm and have had no issues with the conversion caps at all. Converted my rear hub from 135 QR to bolt on and now to 142x12. I believe the caps push in and are secured in place with a split ring in a little groove. Once clamped in the fork there is no play at all. Have you checked if you might have a bad bearing or something?

That said, I have had issues with Hope freehub bodies cracking (alloy version) and blew bearings in the steel freehub body, but I chalk some of that up to wear & tear as the bearings were cheap to swap out.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Thanks guys. Very good input and feedback. On the Hope front hub, brand new bearings, so unless they are flawed, then everything else I have read about the PRO II converted hubs are true. The rear hub, converted to 135X12 has already broken (axle) but it's been repaired and stays tight but you are right about the free hub body, the light aluminum gouges but hasn't cracked on me yet. I was told that Hope said that the Pro II even though it has a 12mm conversion is not really built for big hits and stout riding. They said I would most likely break the rear axle again.
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orastreet View Post
    Thanks guys. Very good input and feedback. On the Hope front hub, brand new bearings, so unless they are flawed, then everything else I have read about the PRO II converted hubs are true. The rear hub, converted to 135X12 has already broken (axle) but it's been repaired and stays tight but you are right about the free hub body, the light aluminum gouges but hasn't cracked on me yet. I was told that Hope said that the Pro II even though it has a 12mm conversion is not really built for big hits and stout riding. They said I would most likely break the rear axle again.
    I don't know what you hear/read about Hope hubs, but they are some of the most reliable hubs that I know of. And yes, I use them as well as DT, Shimano, Intense-branded Hadleys, Novatec, Mavic and some OE stuff.
    The problem with the breaking 12 mm axle in combination with Maxle axles is known and Hope fixed it with the Pro II Evo. Lots of DH guys on Pro II hubs and they seem to be more reliable than Hadleys, at least the bearings seem to die less in wet/muddy conditions.

mtbr member
    Sorry, but just no. The Hope stuff is great in that its a step up from Shimano/ Formula, but its just not top tier gear. The freehubs are slow, and they gouge badly. The axles, as mentioned have issues, but hopefully thats all addressed in the newest version.

They Hadley stuff is FAR better. It lasts longer, the support is better, the freehubs are better (Titanium anyone?), and they are just a superior hub all around. Thats why you see guys on Hadleys that are 10 years old, but you don't see guys riding Hope stuff that old. And I doubt you ever will.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the hope stuff. I LOVE the sound of the freehub. But I'm also realistic, and know whats good and whats better. Hadley hubs are just better than Hope. You will also pay a bit more for the Hadleys, but I'd say its worth it if you are building wheels that you want to keep for a long time.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com View Post
    Sorry, but just no. The Hope stuff is great in that its a step up from Shimano/ Formula, but its just not top tier gear. The freehubs are slow, and they gouge badly. The axles, as mentioned have issues, but hopefully thats all addressed in the newest version.
    Define top tier. The slow freehub, I give you that. But I never had a problem with that. Ano colors are not as shiny and bling as Hadley or King, but considering the price I think this is fair.

They Hadley stuff is FAR better. It lasts longer, the support is better, the freehubs are better (Titanium anyone?), and they are just a superior hub all around. Thats why you see guys on Hadleys that are 10 years old, but you don't see guys riding Hope stuff that old. And I doubt you ever will.
    Again, define far better! Lasts longer: no, never seen and had so many failed bearings from such and exotic (read: not many people ride it) hub. Ti freehub makes it more expensive and heavier for minor gains in reliability.
    My oldest Hope hubs are from 2005 on a wheelset with 823 and DT Comps. Ridden on DH and Freeride bikes in some wet conditions (Orgeon for 4 years, now Yurp). I had to replace a couple of spokes, thats all. OK, it is only 8 years, but I have no doubt they survive two more years.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the hope stuff. I LOVE the sound of the freehub. But I'm also realistic, and know whats good and whats better. Hadley hubs are just better than Hope. You will also pay a bit more for the Hadleys, but I'd say its worth it if you are building wheels that you want to keep for a long time.
    What makes Hadley good? If I want reliable hubs in nice colors that are reasonably priced I buy Hope, if I want reliability I buy DT (still lighter than Hadley), if I want crazy light I buy Tune and spend not much more than on Hadleys. Considering that you need special tools and have a hard time finding spares if you don't live in the US they are not my top pick.
    Not wanting to pick a fight, I just don't see what other people see in Hadley hubs. Next time I see a set at the right price I might give them another try though.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    The Hope PRO II hubs I bought for an AM type bike, and knew I wanted to convert to 20mm upfront at some point. They hubs have 1000's of miles on them after being purchased new in 2008. The play in the front hub is just too much for me to deal with. Not that I thought the hub would have a failure, but it's unnerving to be flying down a line and have your front wheel not feel totally secure. The rear hub, very disappointing. After converting to 12mm, the axle broke (not the thru-axle bolt, but the hub axle) and Hope said this wasn't designed for what I was using it for. I was a little shocked to find out 12mm wouldn't handle what I was doing - freeriding/dh/trail. That is why I moved away from Hope for the DH/FR. I'll build up another set of wheels for another bike with these hubs and they will be great! Just not 20mm up front

Tim
    Uzzi