mtbr member
    Jun 2014

12x150 Hadley Axle - Install w/ Intense G3 dropouts for Uzzi VP (951/M9/SS/socom/M6)?

I just made the conversion from a 10x135 rear wheel to a 12x150. I ordered and installed the G3 150 thru dropouts and a Hadley rear axle, but when I installed the axle it was only catching a few threads on the nut.

hadley 002.jpgName:  axle-150x12.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  4.8 KB

so I tried it without the washer/flange shown in photo 2, it now catches enough thread on the nut, but it seems to be tightening so that the wheel doesn't want to spin. (leading me to think I need the washer/flange but that the axle may be too short??)

On my 135 dropouts there was an inset area that 2 washers snapped into place on, making it pretty easy to align the wheel with the dropout. There isn't anything like that on the 150 dropouts. Shouldn't matter - but I wonder if I have it set up right.

I can take more photos tonight if needed, but wondering if anyone has similar experience with the length of the axle in relationship to the G3 dropouts.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    No matter if you use the washers or not, the wheel shouldn't bind.
    I experienced a similar problem with a Hadley axle. I assume they were originally made for the dropouts that are slotted and had a depression on the outside where the washer fits in. Now on the newer drilled dropouts the axle is slightly too short and you have to leave the washers off to make it work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    No matter if you use the washers or not, the wheel shouldn't bind.
    I experienced a similar problem with a Hadley axle. I assume they were originally made for the dropouts that are slotted and had a depression on the outside where the washer fits in. Now on the newer drilled dropouts the axle is slightly too short and you have to leave the washers off to make it work.
    Good info - Thanks!

mtbr member
    I agree with iRider the binding, hub shouldn't bind based on washers/no washers.

I did the same conversion and Hadley does make 2 axle lengths for 12x150 (180 and 183). The 183 is listed for use with thicker dropouts. This is the one I used when I did my conversion and have no issues. I recall reading somewhere when I was doing the conversion that this longer axle was originally designed for Intense, but can't remember where I read it.

Hadley Thru-Bolt 12mm X 183mm (150mm Spacing) ? Balle Racing Mountain Bike Parts & Tools
    Last edited by OCMoto; 06-06-2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Addedl link to longer axle

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just an update to close the loop. The wheel binding was not due to the removal of the washer as members mentioned ^^^

I ran a Hadley 12x150 axle with the G3 dropouts minus the washer, the wheel binding was due to a set screw on the non-drive side of the hub that needed to be adjusted to allow for the cassette and wheel to spin freely. It was a new wheels set to me, and I didn't know about the set screw.

Thank you for the help above. It got me trouble shooting the correct area and not the axle.