Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560

    Your rear hub of choice

    I know many have several bikes in the shed, but if you could only have one of YOUR current rear hubs for all your dirt riding what would it be, and why (durability, weight, cost, engagement, color....)???

  2. #2
    What's on your plate?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    I know many have several bikes in the shed, but if you could only have one of YOUR current rear hubs for all your dirt riding what would it be, and why (durability, weight, cost, engagement, color....)???
    At the risk of being accused of using a hub that I don't "need" for XC riding, of course it would be the King ISO disc. Instant engagement, lightweight, and durable.

  3. #3
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,177
    My personal favorite for XC riding is the DT Swiss 240 series hubs. Reasons:

    - super light hub that still has reasonable seals
    - decent engagement
    - not so loud that you don't feel like you can't stop pedaling (my biggest complaint against King hubs)
    - general servicing requires no tools (replacing sealed bearings is a pain though)
    - comes in black

    The downside: they cost a lot.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  4. #4
    Unicycles are for clowns
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    My personal favorite for XC riding is the DT Swiss 240 series hubs. Reasons:

    - super light hub that still has reasonable seals
    - decent engagement
    - not so loud that you don't feel like you can't stop pedaling (my biggest complaint against King hubs)
    - general servicing requires no tools (replacing sealed bearings is a pain though)
    - comes in black

    The downside: they cost a lot.
    I second on the 240s also, but if cost is a factor, get these: http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fus...kedetail&id=11, I have this on the rear of my bike now; and for cost, weight, durability, etc. I think it's a great hub. DT Swiss makes some pretty good stuff.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    I second on the 240s also, but if cost is a factor, get these: http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fus...kedetail&id=11, I have this on the rear of my bike now; and for cost, weight, durability, etc. I think it's a great hub. DT Swiss makes some pretty good stuff.
    Is Onyx an XT level hub?

  6. #6
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,177
    I'm not sure how the Onyx and XT match up. For price/performance and it's tough to beat XT (or LX). Shimano hubs are very good.

    If you're using rim brakes, definitely consider any of the Shimano hubs. For disc brakes, Shimano uses their own center-lock design instead of the ISO standard. There's nothing wrong with the Shimano design (and it may offer some benefits); however it can limit future choices for brake products (unless you buy an adapter kit).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: garnetspur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I'm not sure how the Onyx and XT match up. For price/performance and it's tough to beat XT (or LX). Shimano hubs are very good.

    If you're using rim brakes, definitely consider any of the Shimano hubs. For disc brakes, Shimano uses their own center-lock design instead of the ISO standard. There's nothing wrong with the Shimano design (and it may offer some benefits); however it can limit future choices for brake products (unless you buy an adapter kit).
    if you can find an old XT 756 (or 755, i think), it has the ISO, 6-bolt pattern.

    also, i think DT Swiss makes an adaptor for the center-lock shimano to an ISO-6-bolt pattern. don't know how much weight it adds, or it's durability.

    the DT Swiss 240s are nice. they used to be loud years ago when they were the hugi 240s...not as high pitch as a king..more of a low sound that was cool. they are much quieter now.
    Last edited by garnetspur; 03-09-2006 at 12:32 PM.

  8. #8
    What's on your plate?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,854
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Is Onyx an XT level hub?
    Don't know about that, but I have heard of Onyx hubs shredding and blowing up pretty easily, but this was a few years ago when they were made by Hugi. The rap on the older Hugi Onyx was that they were nice and light, but very fragile. Hopefully DT has improved the build quality.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackstraw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    292

    dt onyx

    I'm running the DT Onyx hub on the back of my azonic, and I have had absolutely no problems with it so far. This will be the third season I have had on it. It's a 2003 and the only onyx rear hub I have owned so I can't speak for the older ones blowing up. The engagment seems to be fine for my application, but its hard to beat the instant engagement of the King, Hadley and upper end DT Swiss rear hubs. For the price the quality seems to be very good, not up there with the other hubs listed but then again the price is not up there either.
    Last edited by jackstraw1; 03-10-2006 at 11:45 AM.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •