Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,636

    Your cassette choise: 32 or 34

    I know it depends on rider strength, pedaling style, shifting technique/timing, blah blah blah, but do you wish your cassette's low gear of 32 or 34 was the opposite, meaning, did you buy a 32 and don't have enough "oomph" or did you buy a 34 and it's totally overkill.

  2. #2
    26er
    Reputation: smilycook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,960

    I ride a 34

    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    I know it depends on rider strength, pedaling style, shifting technique/timing, blah blah blah, but do you wish your cassette's low gear of 32 or 34 was the opposite, meaning, did you buy a 32 and don't have enough "oomph" or did you buy a 34 and it's totally overkill.
    now, but I use to ride a 32. Can I wish for a 36 next, especially on the heavy bike. A little extra spinning to save the knees can't hurt.
    Live to ride!

    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,063
    No. I have a 34 and wouldnt switch to a 32. I don't know what the next easiest gear would be in an 11-32 or 12-32 (XTR?). Maybe 30? Anyway, very happy with my SRAM 11-34 cassette for All Mountain

  4. #4
    Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Reputation: Visicypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,646

    Gears.....

    XC bike has a 30 and am happy with it.

    DH bike has a 32X22 up front and 34 in the rear, and I am happy with it. The geometry on the DH bike is the limiter for climbing for me on it...though I've ridden it up to the top of 4

    If you talk to Kemp....he'll tell you all you need is a 32X18 or a 32X20.

    So there you have it...clear as the morning spackle.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

  5. #5
    Hoops - Big and Small
    Reputation: Crash_Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,087
    Couple things to think about - Suspension design (check IH board - elevated chainstays probably help), your weight and riding style. Generally 32 is better, 34 is overkill in my opinion.

    I'am assuming your using outboard bearing cranks. Using middle ring and large cog combo could be an issue.

    If you like climbing in the small ring go with a 32. If you like climbing in the middle ring you might like having a 34 (could have cross chain issues with this combo).

  6. #6
    Hoops - Big and Small
    Reputation: Crash_Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,087
    Is Hemp (DanK came up with Hemp) still wrenchin?

  7. #7
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Generally 32 is better, 34 is overkill in my opinion.
    ... If you like climbing in the middle ring you might like having a 34 (could have cross chain issues with this combo).
    I've nearly always used an 11-34 in the rear and climbed many a hill in the middle ring up front and biggest ring in the back with no cross chaining problems. I like having the 34 in the back (combined with the compact gearing 22-32-44 up front) to have the option of the easiest gear possible (22 x 34) for some of the steepest climbs, but I rarely even use this combo. The only time I used an 11-32 cassette was last year when I did the (short, slow, lame) Sport level races, and then only because I had the 11-32 cassette sitting around. I'm not sure why "32 is better" or "34 is overkill," but then again I like to climb in my middle ring and I rarely use my granny.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,063
    I also found out yesterday, that it's nice having an 11-34, but that to make some sections/chutes, you need to shift to your 32, and that extra bit of traction let's you clean some sections!

  9. #9
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I also found out yesterday, that it's nice having an 11-34, but that to make some sections/chutes, you need to shift to your 32, and that extra bit of traction let's you clean some sections!
    Yeah, as I said, I rarely ever use the 22 x 34 gearing, but it's nice to have it if I need it. The other consideration other than just the size of the biggest ring is the cog range within the 11-34 or 11-32. The two gearies in my garage both have 11-34 cassettes, but each have different cog ranges. The older SRAM 990 on the Jamis goes 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-34, which is essentially the same cog range as a traditional 11-32 except for the largest ring, while the SRAM 970 on the Ventana has a more traditional 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34 cog range.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 04-03-2006 at 11:44 AM.

  10. #10
    TERVOR THE GREAT
    Reputation: DelTaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    548
    I'm so cool that I use a 11-twenty something... It's a road cassette, so it's probably like 11-24ish
    Since I'm a downhiller type guy and my 1-1 gear combo is more than enough to climb up rocks and stuff, I'm fine. If I can't pedal anymore, I get off and push...
    Or get a shuttle to the top

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Couple things to think about - Suspension design (check IH board - elevated chainstays probably help), your weight and riding style. Generally 32 is better, 34 is overkill in my opinion.

    I'am assuming your using outboard bearing cranks. Using middle ring and large cog combo could be an issue.

    If you like climbing in the small ring go with a 32. If you like climbing in the middle ring you might like having a 34 (could have cross chain issues with this combo).
    Are people having issues with the outboard bearings and 34 cog?

  12. #12
    Hoops - Big and Small
    Reputation: Crash_Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,087
    Your combining issues - Shimano's first attempt at outboard bearing cranks had premature wear bearing issues. Hollow Tech II is the latest and I've heard they last longer, full disclaimer - I don't own a pair.

    You may be referring to the rear derailleur compatibility with a 34 cog. There is a possibility your jockey pulley will make contact with a 34 tooth cog. Chain length and the B-screw are other parts that effect the drivetrain.

    Do you primarily use small or middle ring for climbing? Go with 34 if you mainly use your middle ring for climbing. Go with 32 if you use your small ring for climbing.

    This is based on a fairly fit rider - I go a buck ninety and can climb pretty strong in short bursts. I try and stick with the middle ring as long as I can on climbs and I'am more of a masher than spinner when it comes to peddle cadence.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    43

    The 12- 34T...

    is also sometimes called a megarange cassette. Its commonly used on "comfort bikes." I usually find this gearing choise to be real nice because I'm such a weak climber. I pop my Trek Navigator in the ol' 34 cog and I can make it up the toughest, gnarliest climbs on the greenbelt. Its nice to see you quys are weak climbers also. We have something in common, and that makes me feel good. Like a sheep. A genetically cloned sheep that buys all the same parts, reads all the same magazines, and shares thier limited supply of chamios butter... but I digress.
    You're just a genetic material transport vessel. Nothing more...nothing less."

  14. #14
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by toiletsnake
    Its nice to see you quys are weak climbers also. We have something in common, and that makes me feel good. Like a sheep. A genetically cloned sheep that buys all the same parts, reads all the same magazines, and shares thier limited supply of chamios butter... but I digress.
    TS makes a good point as always. In fact, here's a photo that Twisted snapped of me a few weeks ago on the fall that broke my helmet. Baaaaaah.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Reputation: TwistedCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    TS makes a good point as always. In fact, here's a photo that Twisted snapped of me a few weeks ago on the fall that broke my helmet. Baaaaaah.
    We used Shimano hook and loop to attach him - which showed signs of premature wear. We should have used the original brandname: Velcro!
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

  16. #16
    Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Reputation: Visicypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,646
    Greenbelt Lurker

    I thought I was goin' all stealth wid my Greenbelt hill training. Damn it. Now I have to find another spot on the Greenbelt to do my hour long training.

    Does Walmart carry any wider seats. The one on my Royce-Union is just to narrow. It feels all Brokeback.

    I can't afford magazines. I spent so much on my Royce-Union bike at Walmart that I can't afford much else. Though, it was worth spending the $200. Now I can ride off curbs and the spring takes the edge off. I am still trying to figure out all those gears. I also wish my jeans didn't chafe so much, or didn't get caught in the chain. Will the Sprockids teacher let me go to the class? I want to learn more. Will she teach me what a cog and a chainring is? I am really at a loss there.

    Why is that guy riding a sheep? Seems like a perfectly good sheep gone to waste.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •