mtbr member

York 38 Special Race, 2006 York, Montana

The York 38 Special Race was Saturday, 8/26. This is a 38 mile long mountain bike race that is mostly along dirt roads with about 5 miles of double track and 4 miles of single track. http://www.york38special.com/ It is a fund raiser for the York, MT volunteer fire department. I raced it last year with very poor training (as in honeymoon in Mexico the week before) leading up to it. It took me 4 hrs 25 min last year, and it was painful....

This year I'm in much better condition with some practical training beforehand. I've also raced several other NORBA races this year as I'm hooked on the racing virus. I finished this year in 3 hrs 14 min. That was good enough for 6th place out of 104 men and 7th out of all 161 riders. What a great feeling! The fastest time was 2 hrs 41 min this year. The cyclocross guys did two laps (76 miles!) and it took them around 6 hours. Granted, this is advertised as a "ride" rather than a race. The field wasn't stacked with other racers. But I figure if they're keeping track of time then that makes it a race. The website has full results and quite a few photos. This is a great ride that is organized very well with great rest/food stations every 8 miles or so.

jones'in
    Sounds like fun!! Wish I'd have known about it before-hand and I would have ridden it. There's always next year, though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    Sounds like fun!! Wish I'd have known about it before-hand and I would have ridden it. There's always next year, though!
    totally. bookmark the webpage. the advertised the heck out of it this year with flyers all around Helena. There is the WERKS XC race Sep. 10. come up for that if you're into racing. I believe it is considered a State Championship race.

http://www.montanacycling.org/calendar.aspx#MTB

In FTF We Trust
    I was there and had a blast. It was the first time I and two friends (all of us from Anaconda) did it and I was seriously impressed with how well organized it was. I got a flat tire in the middle of the funnest section (the rocky singletrack) that took me about 15 or 20 minutes to change (riding my 29er, brought a 26er tube, oops). One friend took off but the other one hung around with me and we managed to finish it (complete time, flat and stops included) in just over under 4 hours. A good time was had by all.
    Last edited by el-cid; 08-31-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    I was there and had a blast. It was the first time I and two friends (all of us from Anaconda) did it and I was seriously impressed with how well organized it was. I got a flat tire in the middle of the funnest section (the rocky singletrack) that took me about 15 or 20 minutes to change (riding my 29er, brought a 26er tube, oops). One friend took off but the other one hung around with me and we managed to finish it (complete time, flat and stops included) in just over under 4 hours. A good time was had by all.
    this was my second year. it is very well organized in my opinion as well. The rest stations are great and spaced out well. The one at the top of Indian Flats is a saviour as that's the top of the route and after all that climbing almost everyone is whooped! bummer about the flat. I'm sure the York burger helped.