Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Lacticacid head
    Reputation: Capt Tripps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    453

    Yellowstone in April

    Just looking for some information, or advice for those who may live ( or delved) into the Early spring Yellowstone Park deal. I understand the park is closed to cars from the last week of march to the third thursday of April, so the roads can be cleared of snow, allowing bikes in with no cars between the Mammoth and West Yellowstone... Granted it will be road riding but may require studs anyway depending on the winter...

    So question of the day is anybody out there try this before? I am thinking Gardner as base but would like some input...
    happy trails!
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

  2. #2
    Rocks Rock
    Reputation: impdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    902

    That's a good one

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Tripps
    Just looking for some information, or advice for those who may live ( or delved) into the Early spring Yellowstone Park deal. I understand the park is closed to cars from the last week of march to the third thursday of April, so the roads can be cleared of snow, allowing bikes in with no cars between the Mammoth and West Yellowstone... Granted it will be road riding but may require studs anyway depending on the winter...

    So question of the day is anybody out there try this before? I am thinking Gardner as base but would like some input...
    happy trails!
    It was a blast last year. Did a slow 30 miles with my wife and got lots of pictures of wild life. Some are in my photo gallery. also. Hoping to ride from Mamoth to West Yellowstone this year. Did the Old Faithful ride in Oct. also.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

  3. #3
    Lacticacid head
    Reputation: Capt Tripps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    It was a blast last year. Did a slow 30 miles with my wife and got lots of pictures of wild life. Some are in my photo gallery. also. Hoping to ride from Mamoth to West Yellowstone this year. Did the Old Faithful ride in Oct. also.
    Thanks Dave for the reply.

    I am planning on April 7,8,9,10 I am letting my daghter and her BF use the old Ritchey Tandem, and just enjoying the wildlife as well.. it looks like a great time.. May pack the snowshoes if winter is a long one...
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,298
    You'll love it. I rode from Madison Junction to Old Faithful on my MTB one summer a few years back and was able to take a few of the MUT's between the two points to avoid the traffic. I don't think many people realize that there are a few dirt paths that you are allowed to ride. But that probably won't help you any in April...

    This October my wife and I bought road bikes and made 2 trips in the park, 1) Mammoth to Norris Gesyer Basin and 2) Mammoth to Tower Falls. Both trips were about 40 miles out and back. Lots of fun but the winds that time of year were pretty brutal. Traffic was very light although the roads were open. I'm hoping to ride each (or at least one) of the two loops of the figure-8 road this year but the ideal time to do that (with respect to weather and daylight) coincides with peak tourist/RV season so we'll have to see what happens.

    Depending on the weather this winter you may have clear roads in April. The northern half of the park usually gets way less snow than the south half. In fact I want to go down there to xc ski but am afraid there won't be much snow righ now. So Gardiner may be a good base for you. You'll also be close to the Boiling River for a post ride soak. If Helen's Corral is open then (but probably not) you'll have to get a buffalo burger.

  5. #5
    Rocks Rock
    Reputation: impdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Tripps
    Thanks Dave for the reply.

    I am planning on April 7,8,9,10 I am letting my daghter and her BF use the old Ritchey Tandem, and just enjoying the wildlife as well.. it looks like a great time.. May pack the snowshoes if winter is a long one...
    Last year they predicted snow and we strapped snow shoes on to our camelbacks in case it got to bad to ride. It turned out to be nice anyway, just a few little fluries. I think we saw the first buffalo calf of the year last year, it was still wet and wobblly legged when we rode up.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

  6. #6
    Lacticacid head
    Reputation: Capt Tripps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    Last year they predicted snow and we strapped snow shoes on to our camelbacks in case it got to bad to ride. It turned out to be nice anyway, just a few little fluries. I think we saw the first buffalo calf of the year last year, it was still wet and wobblly legged when we rode up.
    I am looking forward to the Bison , and the possile calves.. I figured the advantages of the north end were the springs and thermals if we get snowed out ,, we still will have plenty to do.
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    971

    May is good too

    Sometimes the April weather is pretty risky, especially when you have to travel a ways to get there. My wife and I have joined up with other friends the last 2 years for a mid-May century. The southern loop usually opens by then. There is baby buffalos and elk all over the place in May. Last year we also saw bear and wolves. Dir-T, you are invited. Call me later.

    The Madison Junction campground is a good place to have a base in May.

    Fair warning, to take a leak in the park, you must be completely out of sight of the road and rangers. It could get costly. The rangers love to ticket bikers for urinating in public. We had plenty of good laughs that evening about that close call.
    Last edited by GregB406; 01-06-2006 at 06:32 AM. Reason: incorrect facts

  8. #8
    Lacticacid head
    Reputation: Capt Tripps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    453

    Good job!

    I went with the April time frame becuase the roads are closed to autos,, till the third Thursday in April. So Bikes Rule, cars drool during this period, will really eliminate the hordes of drive buys. I know the weather is a risk, which is one reason the Hotsprings area offers Hiking/ snowshoeing/ type activity if we run afoul...
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

  9. #9
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    Last year a group from Anaconda, MT went down and rode from Mammoth to West Yellowstone as an organized ride. It was the last weekend that the roads were closed to cars (end of March?) and it was awesome. It wound up being a 52 mile ride and of course we got to rub up against the wildlife (not actually, but you know...). I think we're doing it in April this year. I'll post something up here when the date and time is solidified. Good time.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  10. #10
    SingleTrackSal
    Guest

    Junior Brown is the Man!

    Quote Originally Posted by impdude
    It was a blast last year. Did a slow 30 miles with my wife and got lots of pictures of wild life. Some are in my photo gallery. also. Hoping to ride from Mamoth to West Yellowstone this year. Did the Old Faithful ride in Oct. also.
    Great signature from a great song Dave!

    I saw JB open for the Mavericks at a state fair once; what a helluva show, especially when he played 'Guit-steel Blues'!

  11. #11
    Lacticacid head
    Reputation: Capt Tripps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    Great signature from a great song Dave!

    I saw JB open for the Mavericks at a state fair once; what a helluva show, especially when he played 'Guit-steel Blues'!

    Hey Sal,

    gonna join up for the ride? or Tahoe in July?
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

  12. #12
    Rocks Rock
    Reputation: impdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    902

    Tunes

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    Great signature from a great song Dave!

    I saw JB open for the Mavericks at a state fair once; what a helluva show, especially when he played 'Guit-steel Blues'!
    Ray Wyllie Hubbard and the other JB aint so bad either. Yea I'm a Parrot Head.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    75
    I have done it going from W. Yellowstone to Old Faithful. Weather can be a problem but otherwise very cool thing to do. There was some car traffic when I did it, contractors working on old faithful lodge and park employees. It's not like you have to whole place to yourself. Any snow will be fresh as the roads will have been plowed and cleared by then.

  14. #14
    In FTF We Trust
    Reputation: el-cid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Last year a group from Anaconda, MT went down and rode from Mammoth to West Yellowstone as an organized ride. It was the last weekend that the roads were closed to cars (end of March?) and it was awesome. It wound up being a 52 mile ride and of course we got to rub up against the wildlife (not actually, but you know...). I think we're doing it in April this year. I'll post something up here when the date and time is solidified. Good time.

    Well, a group from Anaconda will be heading down to ride Mammoth to W. Yellowstone on April 8th. We will take a bus down in the morning, get dropped off at the gate at Mammoth, ride through, then stay the night in W. Yellowstone. It's a good time, we bring a sack lunch and eat on the road, then go to Moose Something's (can't remember the name of the place) and have a spaghetti feed. We'd be happy to have anybody join us. The contact is E.G. Leipheimer (Levi's cousin) at his business, Discovery Buick & GMC, phone (406)563-5256. Hope to see some of you there!

    Chad
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

    Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1

    Tandem Rental near Yellowstone

    Is there anywhere you can rent tandems near yellowstone in April? Was thinking of going and riding there in April if I could find somewhere to rent a tandem bike from.

    Also, can a tandem be carried on a standard hitch mounted bike rack?

  16. #16
    Lacticacid head
    Reputation: Capt Tripps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankAddict
    Is there anywhere you can rent tandems near yellowstone in April? Was thinking of going and riding there in April if I could find somewhere to rent a tandem bike from.

    Also, can a tandem be carried on a standard hitch mounted bike rack?

    I have carried my Tandem on a Strap-on rear rack, so You should not have to much problem, I do take off the front wheel, and turn the bars. As to Rentals,, Not sure in the area.
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    75
    I am pretty shure that you can rent a tandem in W. Yellowstone at the place that is almost the closest business to the park entrance. It's on the north side of the street and they rent and maybe sell bikes. I don't know what they're called, google might help.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
    I am pretty shure that you can rent a tandem in W. Yellowstone at the place that is almost the closest business to the park entrance. It's on the north side of the street and they rent and maybe sell bikes. I don't know what they're called, google might help.
    I think it's called "Freeheel and Wheel" although I've never even been inside so I don't know about their rental fleet.

    You might also want to try the shops in Bozeman (Sports Chalet, Summit Bike and Ski, Bangtail Bike and Ski, and The Bike Shop at Ace Hardware) although I'm skeptical about whether they'll be able to help you with a tandem.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    34

    Good job! Yellowstone 3/12/06

    Thanks to everyone for the great info.
    A couple of us from Boise are going to do the West Yellowstone entrance on 12-13 April. We're thinking about hitching a ride with a biker-friendly contractor into the deeper reaches of the park. There is also some good info posted on ...gasp...roadbikereview (Touring forum).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •