Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hi!!!

Winter 2006 Trail Report

Looks like the weather is suppose to be somewhat decent today and tomorrow. Anything rideable tomorrow evening or do I stick with Rocky Canyon or the Greenbelt?

Nick

mtbr member

8th street is ok

Once you get past the learning center. However, the 150 yards between the gate and the motorcycle parking lot maybe crappy...

Hoops - Big and Small

Climb the front

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Once you get past the learning center. However, the 150 yards between the gate and the motorcycle parking lot maybe crappy...
    Thanks for the heads up - I've got my Big Single Slinger ready for some dirt. I need to see if I picked the right climbing combo, 34x22. No pics yet will post soon.

roar
    I ran up hulls this morning... mudfest. Sloppy and unridable. Lots of puddles and erosion. Its sunny outside, so if the nice weather holds up, maybe it will dry up a bit in the next couple of days.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Thanks for the heads up - I've got my Big Single Slinger ready for some dirt. I need to see if I picked the right climbing combo, 34x22. No pics yet will post soon.
    Want to take it out for a spin Friday afternoon up Rocky Canyon? The cinnoman monkey and I were itchin' to do some riding then and I know your Friday schedule is usually like mine. He and I were talking about road riding, but since you were there for my first ride on the X-5, I want to be there for the maiden voyage of the slinger. I'm sure the monkey won't mind changing the plan.

Hoops - Big and Small

My bike needs some miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Want to take it out for a spin Friday afternoon up Rocky Canyon? The cinnoman monkey and I were itchin' to do some riding then and I know your Friday schedule is usually like mine. He and I were talking about road riding, but since you were there for my first ride on the X-5, I want to be there for the maiden voyage of the slinger. I'm sure the monkey won't mind changing the plan.
    I need to get my snout dirty - I'am booked with party preparation this friday. I almost went last night, you riding nights?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I need to get my snout dirty - I'am booked with party preparation this friday. I almost went last night, you riding nights?
    I rode up and down Hulls last night. It was mostly ridable with a couple of minor rutted and wet sections. No real mud to speak of. Riding the 1x1 after being on the CX for a couple weeks was like riding a really friendly tank. Tu's and W's work for me for the headlamp trips if'n yer interested.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    are the visual handicapped welcome to this night riding thingy??? I promise 2 leave the poo at home.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I almost went last night, you riding nights?
    Not lately - obviously, way too much rain for foothills riding. (On that note, interesting difference between TC's and RRB's opinions about the condition of Hulls, given that they were on there probably less than 12 hours apart. I guess one man's mostly dry conditions is another woman's mucky slop.)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    (On that note, interesting difference between TC's and RRB's opinions about the condition of Hulls, given that they were on there probably less than 12 hours apart.)
    I was curious about that too. It was however raining very lightly (i.e., misting) in the gulch even though it was dry at home.

I guess one man's mostly dry conditions is another woman's mucky slop.)
    Would you care to elucidate?

Hoops - Big and Small

Ding Ding Ding Ding

Not lately - obviously, way too much rain for foothills riding. (On that note, interesting difference between TC's and RRB's opinions about the condition of Hulls, given that they were on there probably less than 12 hours apart. I guess one man's mostly dry conditions is another woman's mucky slop.)
    We have a weener

You managed to use "man's mostly dry and woman's mucky slop" in a sentence.

Hoops - Big and Small

Hulls is dry - Does that make it a man?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    It's funny how Hulls dry's out much faster than some of the other trails. Must be the sand and rock and trail users. It does get puddles though. Do Puddles have there own sexuality?

Rocks Rock

Bob's

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    I ran up hulls this morning... mudfest. Sloppy and unridable. Lots of puddles and erosion. Its sunny outside, so if the nice weather holds up, maybe it will dry up a bit in the next couple of days.
    Anyone been on Bob's? I'm sure mudslide hill is slikery. Hope its ready for a Fri. 2pm ride.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member

Man mud-Woman wet

(On that note, interesting difference between TC's and RRB's opinions about the condition of Hulls, given that they were on there probably less than 12 hours apart. I guess one man's mostly dry conditions is another woman's mucky slop.)
    I don't think it's about a man vs. a woman's opinion over trail conditions. I've always thought it's more of an Idaho native's definition of muddy versus someone that grew up East of the Mississippi. Otherwise, RRB and I just finished a quick climb up 8th. They were grading it as we were going up so the street is nice and relatively dry (Idaho standard dry that is).

Weener? or Weiner?

It is funny either way. Now if we could someone to use butt monkey, or anti-butt monkey, in a post....hmmmm

It is January. There are base miles to logged....and the Emmett/Horseshoe Bend loop to be ridden...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Weener? or Weiner?
    Weener is an ethnic variant of wiener. I am assuming that weiner must be one too so dingdingding you both are corrent.

Contagious Xian

Hulls..speaking of maiden voyages

CBro and I gave the homebrew light kits their maiden voyage tonight. All was well, it was beautiful out there. Hooked up with "Greg," a kayaker who rides once a month. "Onceamonther" had no problem climbing at my speed, which made me feel like a hundred bucks and almost convincing me to buy an XC bike.

Naw!

Go USC.

Hi!!!
    Whaddya folks think the road going up behind the shooting range at Military Reserve will be like tomorrow evening?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Not at work. You know, you drop a hit of acid or eat some mushrooms at work and it can get kind of weird. The best place to elucidate is at a Dead show because, you know, everyone else is elucidating too.

Back to the seriousness here - what's the bottom line on Hulls? Dry enough to ride or no? There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus. Bombin/CBro - where did you guys ride?

Contagious Xian

I say yes

Not at work. You know, you drop a hit of acid or eat some mushrooms at work and it can get kind of weird. The best place to elucidate is at a Dead show because, you know, everyone else is elucidating too.

Back to the seriousness here - what's the bottom line on Hulls? Dry enough to ride or no? There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus. Bombin/CBro - where did you guys ride?
    The Poindexter/Dork/mini-Barney loop = CB to kestrel to fwy down HG.

The authorities did some trail maintenance and bandaided a lot of the erosion spots. It was in pretty good shape with the exception of a few watery and muddy spots. Bunny hop those and watch out for hikers with dogs and you'll be alright.

King of the Barneys

last night's ride

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    The Poindexter/Dork/mini-Barney loop = CB to kestrel to fwy down HG.

The authorities did some trail maintenance and bandaided a lot of the erosion spots. It was in pretty good shape with the exception of a few watery and muddy spots. Bunny hop those and watch out for hikers with dogs and you'll be alright.
    Last night's ride had it all. Climbs, snow, darkness, views, lights,
    Godzilla, Jack Bauer, single malt scotch...

Dingo or Bombin or Craig, and I arrive at the park around 430, I'm on the singlespeed, he on the King Kahona, and away we went. Kinda iffy as to whether we were dressed warm enough. (2 layers up top, one on bottom) It was about 40deg, but with the sun going down, it would drop another 20 in an hour. So at least we're out riding, (right??) find the trails very tacky, almost too wet to ride,but not quite, heheh.

From the main trail, we see a dude far ahead climbing up Chickadee Ridge, we eventually catch the dude at the base of Kestrel, we visit, and find out he's a major kayaker. He's been all over the country and other parts of the world, and loves our whitewater the best.

In any case, I have to stand the whole way of Kestrel, being back
    on the one-trick Gray Lady, and I LOVE IT. All that fancy technology is fun for the longer rides with rock gardens and stuff, but deep down, I'm just a simple guy. Give me one gear, a strong, light bike and I'm happy as a hog in Sh!t.

We regroup on Crestline after the little steep pitch, , and the view down into the valley at sunset is awesome. Deep blues and dark oranges to take the breath away. Or maybe it was the riding.

Getting colder, but we're moving fast enough not to feel it... yet.

Get to the top of Hulls Gulch, BS some more, lower the seats, and I let the full boinger boys go ahead, as there are some tricky parts I don't take very fast on the rigid SS, especially at night. I'm borrowing one of Dingo's home made light sets, to help him demo them on their maiden voyage, and as dusk turns to dark, I hit the landing lights on the handelbar, and I'm freakin blown away! His homemade set up that cost him about $100 in parts is easily the equal to a $400+ niterider system. No problems rockin down this creekbed canyon, except for when the bars went one way, and trail another, and you can't see Jack. That's where prayer and luck pull you out.

Finally get back to the Sports Utility Beater and its really black out.
    Overcast, cold, no longer feeling the toes, but Jimminy Cricket anyway, we had a great time!

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    snipsnipsnip
    Sounds like you were elucidating.

King of the Barneys
    Sounds like you were elucidating.
    Man, I live in a permanent state of elucidation... Reality is for people who can't handle elucidation, I always say.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Bah!!! Seeing is over-rated.

mtbr member

Rode up 8th Street

and dropped into Hulls-Freeway-Owl's Roost. 8th is in awesome condition. The connector to Hulls has some ruts and running water but otherwise, it's OK if you pick a good line. The Freeway-Kestrel is pretty good also with the usual waterholes. What is typically the most muddy section of this whole ride (the first 100 yards of the motoX connector from the top) is in surprisingly great condition.
    Check it out...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast