mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Willow Creek / Skeleton Creek / Kelley Creek Tips

I've searched the forum and found some info on these trails in the South Fork Boise River area, but limited information on how technical they are. I'll be up there camping and looking to get a ride in. I've seen mention of the Willow/Skeleton loop -- though I'm not sure if it's snow covered at the top or not right now. Any comments on how coming down Skeleton from Red Horse Mine compares to going back down Willow? And what about options on the south side of the river (i.e. Kelley Ck.)? What about ATV/motorcycle use? I may be riding alone in which case I would prefer a more heavily used trail to a very technical, little chance of help trail. I would greatly appreciate any info about these trails or any else in the area. Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by AdamW; 06-16-2010 at 11:51 AM.

26er
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    I've searched the forum and found some info on these trails in the South Fork Boise River area, but limited information on how technical they are. I'll be up there camping and looking to get a ride in. I've seen mention of the Willow/Skeleton loop -- though I'm not sure if it's snow covered at the top or not right now. Any comments on how coming down Skeleton from Red Horse Mine compares to going back down Willow? And what about options on the south side of the river (i.e. Kelley Ck.)? What about ATV/motorcycle use? I may be riding alone in which case I would prefer a more heavily used trail to a very technical, little chance of help trail. I would greatly appreciate any info about these trails or any else in the area. Thanks!!!!
    I would think the top is going to be snowy for sure. The east fork of skeleton is going to fairly technical at the top as is willow, if you are not confident with your ability to solo these trails then it would be best to do an out and back on skeleton or check out Van or Big Water Gulch. I would stay off kelly and virgina both are not mtb friendly.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    I would think the top is going to be snowy for sure. The east fork of skeleton is going to fairly technical at the top as is willow, if you are not confident with your ability to solo these trails then it would be best to do an out and back on skeleton or check out Van or Big Water Gulch. I would stay off kelly and virgina both are not mtb friendly.
    Thanks Chris! Just heading out the door. I'll check out one of those!

Adam

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I want to hear how it went and what you rode! I have done willow out and back to the mine and would love to loop it. I saw skeleton on the map but probably need a bit more beta to loop it. is skeleton easy to locate from the top?
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A belated thanks to Chris, as I just got back to town & internet. I took Chris' suggestion and just did an out & back on Big Water Gulch which was a perfect quick trip / adventure / escape from the multi-family camping trip. Sorry, but got nothing to add pertaining to the Willow / Skeleton ride.