mtbr member

Who's enforcing anti-poaching at Pipestone?

Wifey and I were riding Pipestone a couple weekends ago and got photos of a Subaru and pick-up truck parked about 1/2 a mile down a trail closed to autos (Trail 10, at the east end of the barbed wire fence). Our photos show the cars parked within 20 feet of the "no autos" signs along with license plates.

There are signs posted at the parking areas saying that there is a $250 reward for info leading to conviction of trail offenders. I called both USFS numbers on the sign trying to find out what the next step should be and got passed from one person to another with no answer. I eventually was told that the property in question is on BLM land and that a BLM ranger in the Helena FO would be getting back to me. That was over a week ago.

Does anyone know who I should be talking to?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Brad Colin of the BLM is in charge of the lower zone. I think he may be stationed in Butte, but I could be wrong. Contact him about the photo. If anyone at the FS is responsible it would be Jocelyn Dodge in Butte.

What's much more important is that a new advocacy group has recently formed. "Friends of Pipestone". It consists of representatives of a number of motorized groups, people at large, land managers, and even some bicyclists. The goals are to implement maintenance, signage, improvements, stem vandalism, and make Pipestone a better experience for everyone. This group is just in the infancy stages of forming, but everyone is quite serious. We may see some projects happen before summer. Bicyclists can take as big a role as they are willing to take on, even to be on the board, make decisions, and shape the future of the area.

I took in the initial meeting. The folks there are not starry-eyed, but are older serious motorized users that want to take care and take charge of one of the last places they can drive or ride their machines in Montana. I bet they do good.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark