Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where to ride in WY?

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  JASracer 
#1 ·
I'll be passing through Wyoming coming from the Tatanka 100 in Sturgis SD in late June and want to know what the must rides are in WY. I'll be heading over to Salt Lake City afterwards so rides along that route are great but I'm open to suggestions. I'll ride anything but my must is an area that has more than just a few miles of trails with a good amount of tech and flow. I'd like something in the 2-5 hour range to ride. So far Green River has my eye. Let me know what you think.

Ryan

#2 ·
Curt Gowdy State Park between Cheyenne and Laramie is rated epic by the IMBA and is definitely a must-ride in WY. Once you're done there, drive 10 miles west towards Laramie, and you hit the Happy Jack/Vedauwoo national forest trails which has something for everyone! These rides are definitely along you're route as they're just a smidge off of I-80! (Happy Jack is actually about one mile from I-80, Curt Gowdy you'll wanna exit in Cheyenne and drive 25 miles on Happy Jack Road, which parallels the interstate kinda).

#3 ·
Sweet those places sound great. Trail reviews speak highly of them. Is Green River worth stopping in? If I remember the last time traveling through it looked like there could be some really fun stuff there. This is starting to be a real adventurous road trip. So far I'll be heading out of NJ and stopping in Wisconsin for an epic, then the Tatanka 100, then the WY epic, then maybe Green River and onto SLC. I'm getting psyched!!!

#4 ·
I'm not sure about Green River, I honestly had no idea there was anything there, haha! I'm pretty stuck on my "southeastern WY is better than anything else" mindset :p But now I'm curious and will have to look it up since Green River is only a few hours down the interstate!

Where in NJ are you coming from? I lived in Freehold for 3 years before coming back to WY. Did many trips across the country and back!

If you need/want a local to show ya around, keep in touch. I live in Cheyenne, and definitely don't mind showing off Curt Gowdy and Happy Jack to someone new to the area if I can!

#5 · (Edited)
Jackson

... heading over to Salt Lake City afterwards so rides along that route ...
It depends on your route. You can drop south from Sturgis and hit Curt Gowdy/Happy Jack...then I-80 to Green River and SLC.

OR

Head west to Jackson and Yellowstone/Grand Teton Parks. Those rides are stickied here. Then head south to Green River or straight to SLC.

Choices choices.

#8 · (Edited)
I spent a few hours at Glendo state park on Monday, good things happening there. This is on I-25 between Douglas and Wheatland. Park at the marina head out from there then after you've covered those trials, including the power plant side, drive across the dam (some road construction) and park at the dam overlook. I think most folks will be pleasantly surprised. Four hours of solo riding and I mean solo, not another living soul. Once the construction is complete you can probably ride across instead of driving. I believe this is a 50+ mile trail plan. Good stuff.

Edit: ah, there is trail below the dam (barrel roll) to the other side.

#13 ·
You are right to have Green River on your radar -- just spent the weekend there (High School State Soccer Tourney -- Laramie Boys are 4A state champs!!!) and rode their trail system. It is really a lot of fun -- very "flowy" single track with lots of awesome views. I can't say enough good about what they've done there.
Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Mountain bike Soil Terrain

#17 ·
I'm familiar with the Park City trails so I'll be heading up there a bunch too once I get into town. I wanted some good stuff I haven't been on before so I'm going to explore what WY has to offer. Sounds like great stuff so far! 5 more weeks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.