mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Where to ride when it's wet

With the inaccessibility of many of the trails due to the lovely spring weather we are having, I've been forced to find challenging road rides on my mtb just to get the mileage in. I've gotten pretty tired of the road loops I've been doing and would love some input on some good substitution rides that are roughly 15 - 25 miles or 1 - 1.5 hours.

Here are the fallback afterwork loops I usually do when it's wet.

Half climb bogus basin road
    Bogus-Cartwright-Hidden springs-seamans gulch-hill road
    Greenbelt to dam and back
    Hill road to Emmet

Any other good ones worth doing?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Bogus-Cartwright-Hidden springs-seamans gulch-hill road aka Dump Loop

Try the North Eagle Road to Pearl.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoat

Take the Dump Loop referenced above, but at the intersection of Seaman Gulp road and old Hill road, go right and take a detour through the Dry Creek Cemetary to the top of the new Veteran's Cemetary. Then, head back out through the Cemetary (west) to old Horseshoe Bend Hill Road and take that (north) to Floating Feather. Go west on Floating Feather until you see the sign for Eagle Hills GC, take a left (south), and take that road past EHGC. When the road goes back downhill, go straight (east) and that will take you back to Hill Road. You'll add a few miles and a couple of climbs.

Other good road rides are Highway 21 to Arrowrock Dam and back, and the ever popular Gowen Road to Pleasant Valley to Hollilynn to Cole Road.

Hoops - Big and Small
    Hill to Emmet in 1 - 1.5 hours, man I could'nt even hang in your slipstream.

Looks like the center of your universe is the hood - If you head out Warm Springs hit the 21 bridge south for a nice climb, you can head back Suprise Valley sub to Boise Ave or go a bit further and take Federal Way home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, the hillto emmet is closer to the 2 hour mark, with a nice tailwind

You mean Hill Road to either Beacon Light or Floating Feather to Hwy 16 to Emmett???

Wow, if you can do it roundtrip in 2, you should go pro!!! (The previous comment IS sarcasm.)

Hoops - Big and Small
    I don't know if many roadies hang out in the board - but does anbody know if the sub at the end of Can-Ada is building out? I've ridden the sub a couple of times and there are some pretty big rollers to work on your fartlicks (opps Fartlek).

Fartlek = Swedish for Asswhuppin

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That's one way. I've only done that ride 1 time out hwy 16 and I ot a ride back

The road just goes north then wraps east around the development on W. Deep Canyon Dr. and ties back into the Can-Ada Loop @ N. Country High Country Way.

If you don't go east, but go west towards Purple Sage, you can connect with Blessinger Rd. and take Edna Ln back to Hwy 16.

Hoops - Big and Small
    I think there's a new sub going in between W Deep Canyon Dr and Edna/W Chaparral Rd. I'am probably wrong I don't go out that far as my gun rack gets in the way of my knees on long rides.

I just checked a 2004 satellite map. It is good down to about 8 meter resolution. It shows new roads and very few houses. I was out there 2 wks ago, and more houses were there on W. Deep Canyon, but no new subdivision development. Unless they are using the black box XTR stealth technology, I didn't see 'em. Then again, I really don't see well so.....they could be there. There are a LOT more houses on N. High Country Way and Purple Sage then in years past.

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoat
    With the inaccessibility of many of the trails due to the lovely spring weather we are having, I've been forced to find challenging road rides on my mtb just to get the mileage in. I've gotten pretty tired of the road loops I've been doing and would love some input on some good substitution rides that are roughly 15 - 25 miles or 1 - 1.5 hours.

Here are the fallback afterwork loops I usually do when it's wet.

Half climb bogus basin road
    Greenbelt to dam and back
    Hill road to Emmet

When I get the Happy Roadie itch, I like to head south, and ride up to the Birds of Prey, then out Pleasant Valley past the prison, then either cut over 10-Mile Creek to Cloverdale, or on down to Kuna-Mora road and cut right to Cloverdale and back to "town." Pretty basic loop without much traffic at all, and some undulating hills here and ther.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    A cross bike will double the available routes you can ride from the north end because you can ride dirt extensions to the road miles already mentioned here. Not only that but if you don a wool jersey the retrogrouch coolness factor goes through the roof. There has not been a time all winter that I haven't been able to ride - I even put in two hours this morning in the rain and about 1/2 of it was off pavement.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    A cross bike will double the available routes you can ride from the north end because you can ride dirt extensions to the road miles already mentioned here. Not only that but if you don a wool jersey the retrogrouch coolness factor goes through the roof. There has not been a time all winter that I haven't been able to ride - I even put in two hours this morning in the rain and about 1/2 of it was off pavement.
    You know what would really up the coolness factor, especially when you ride your 'cross bike in the rain? Free fenders, delivered right to your front door several months ago. How are those "free" fenders working out, Twisted? Does this picture remind of you something you perhaps have forgotten?
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    You know what would really up the coolness factor, especially when you ride your 'cross bike in the rain? Free fenders, delivered right to your front door several months ago. How are those "free" fenders working out, Twisted? Does this picture remind of you something you perhaps have forgotten?
    I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. None. Nada. Nix. Zilch. Nicht. Nein. Fergotten my arse. Do you realize how many flippin times I've stood if the walk-in cooler scratching ma arse at some Albertsons saying to myself: "Now what was it I forgot to buy for Earthpiggy for those free fenders he so rudely interrupted my wife to deliver right to my front door". And we don't even use our front door - it's cosmetic ferchissake. So yeah I do owe you a half s freakin rack of PBR which is damn lucky for you you pantywaste cos I might just have to replace it with Dog Style beers or maybe something from the Land O Sky Blue Waters. But no that's just not the way things work out sometimes because let's face it, you and your tight schedule constraints are good enough to interrupt our oh-so-precious lifestyle so you can deliver some still-in-shrinkwrap fenders but when it comes time for me to deliver the brewskis you're like gonesville man and then you have to announce to the world that I'm some kinda scam artist who's out to ripya when in fact I am the wingnut that holds togather western civilization.

There's still time to drive to Barbie Camp. Whadya say. And yes I do owe you beer and yes you will get it. K?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    There's still time to drive to Barbie Camp. Whadya say. And yes I do owe you beer and yes you will get it. K?
    Holy cow, you're right - let's go! On second thought, why drive 6 hours each way to be miserable in the rain - I could be miserable in the rain at home this weekend! No worries about the brewskis - I know you're good fer 'em. As the Bud Light guy used to say, "I love you, man!"