Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    they should be, snowmobiles pay to use the groomed trails, fatbikes should also have to get a groomer sticker. they are pretty cheap. pay to play.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    they should be, snowmobiles pay to use the groomed trails, fatbikes should also have to get a groomer sticker. they are pretty cheap. pay to play.
    I have no dog in this fight. I don't have a fat bike, don't want a fat bike.

My issue is that this seems like a back door first step to make all mountain bikers register their bikes to ride on a public trail during any season. The ATV and off road motorcyclists may see this and want to apply the same rules to mountain bikers. Pay to play? Here's my math:

If you own 3 bikes, you pay $31 each to ride on state land. That's almost $100. If you live in Boise, add perhaps a R2R fee for each bike, since it's a smattering of all sorts of land. Add a federal fee to ride on any federal land. If you're in Pocatello, add a City fee if you want to ride City Creek. Add on the membership costs for SWIMBA, IMBA, BAMBA, CIMBA or any other group you support that does maintenance on public and/or private land.

And what about road bikes? They use the roads. Fee or no fee? Pay each county?

What about hikers? They use the trails too. Do they escape fees? Do they register each shoe separately? Register each pair of shoes? Wear the stickers on their feet?

What about dogs? Do you have to register your dog separately as a trail user?

Waiting for smilycook to chime in...3...2...1...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I own both a fat bike and a snowmobile. For snowmobiles to use the trails, they have to have a state registration and a groomer sticker. I don't see why fat bikes shouldn't have to have a groomer sticker to ride on groomed trails. Why should the fat bikes not pay for the trails that are groomed and maintained by another user group, that pays. We are talking about $15. If you don't want to pay for the groomed snowmobile trails, go ride somewhere else. pretty simple and easy.

Or the fat bikes can go and buy there own groomer equipment and maintain it, and pay for someone to operate it. $15 is pretty cheap to not incur that expense, but if you want fat bike singetrack, that is what will probably need to happen.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Well, good thing I don't have a fat bike then!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    one of the major things that people forget about is, Wheeled vehichles are illegal on groomed snowmobile trails. So depending on the mood of the forest service cop, fatbikes can be ticketed and have been. This would be a way to make fat bikes legal and show bikers want to work with the original trail users, that make the trails.

I have actually been talking to the local head of the country grooming program about getting fatbikes made legal on trails, but that will take a forest service change in there winter plans. some forest have already gone thru there winter travel planning process and won't be looking at there travel plans for another decade. This is actually a very pertinent issue in the winter biking crowd.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Well, then it sounds like a positive development. May want to chime in with Valley County in support of the ordinance if it opens up the snowmachine groomers to riding.

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Thought the fat bike crowd would be interested in this proposed ordinance out of Valley County that would require fat bikes to be registered like snowmobiles to use the groomed snowmobile trails up there.
    Wow!!! What a crock that proposal is...hahahahahahaha. Dog sleds are even included in this proposal. What a bunch of greedy cheapskates...
    Once again, bicycles get lumped in with off-road motorized vehicles, as if their numbers are competeing with motorized users and causing dismay and consternation in the ranks of the latter.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I have heard more than one moto rider complain that they have to register they bikes while mountain bikers don't, even though we use them on the same trails.

But, that doesn't have anything to do with fat biking or fat bikes in Boise. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Back to your regular fat programming.

mtbr member

Where are the fat bikes in Boise

Where are the fat bikes in Boise-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401907026.027185.jpg

Table rock last weekend

Sent from magic wish granting phone

Boise, ID
    Oct 2010
    Chiming in here. Just built up a pugsley and have been out on the trails a few times. Anyone know of any sandy trails, like along the river or anything like that?
    I am just amazed at how it floats over sand and loose gravel.

mtbr member
    the section of Polecat that faces Cartwright road is very sandy but nothing like down by the river.

mtbr member

Small sections of sand all over but no really super sandy trails per say. Heck right out of camels back is a sandy section... Portions of crestline are sandy... I always get razzed for riding the sand instead of the hatdpack.....

Here's some Picts from last week

Where are the fat bikes in Boise-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403014650.176248.jpg
    Where are the fat bikes in Boise-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403014718.454561.jpgWhere are the fat bikes in Boise-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403014735.017236.jpg

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrozz View Post
    Anyone know of any sandy trails, like along the river or anything like that?
    I am just amazed at how it floats over sand and loose gravel.
    Sandy trails can be found any place the cows have been herding or the sheep have been swarming. Most of these trails don't have names or numbers. Adventure by bike, and all that.

Dry Creek could be fun on a fatso right now, given how hateful the sheep have been on it this year. If you can stand the smell of their sh1t that is.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

Where are the fat bikes in Boise-imageuploadedbytapatalk1403826179.406798.jpg

Hiding in the back at the top of corrals....

mtbr member
    Ran into the guy that built this sweet ride up on Watchman today. Vibe cycles of Boise. He was the first fat rider I've seen on the trails all summer. The painted Ti looks trick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where are the fat bikes in Boise-image.jpg  

addicted to chunk
    I plan to bring my fatty when I'm down there for work in a few weeks....probably hit up bogus basin trails & that general area.....
    If anyone wants to join in the fat tire fun, send me a PM. Probably be late afternoon rides, I'm up for anything.

Isn't everything sandy down there??....lol
    Riding.....

mtbr member

Pretty dry and sandy spots for sure. Up bogus way less so I'm told!

addicted to chunk
    I am in town and brought the fatty! Probably ride in the afternoon Tuesday and Wednesday (working nights).

Hope to get out to bogus at least one day. If anyone wants to join the fat tire fun, send me a PM....
    Riding.....

mtbr member

Sent

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    Sent

Was a fun ride today! Thanks for riding, good times. 100% convinced the fat tires are ideal for Boise trails

I plan to do some Bogus tomorrow if anyone wants to join.
    Riding.....

mtbr member

Sorry for making you wait with me so often. Lots of fun as always

mtbr member

Where are the fat bikes in Boise-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406338346.614547.jpg
    Where are the fat bikes in Boise-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406338364.696872.jpgWhere are the fat bikes in Boise-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406338385.494730.jpg

mtbr member

Did see a fat biker leaving the cul d sac at the bottom of bobs/highlands..... Believe it was a Boris e was riding...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Where are the fatties in Boise?

Well, there were a bunch of them at they Salsa demo at the Eagle velodrome last night.

I'm just sayin, the carbon Beargrease has got the goods. Anyone got 4000 bones I can borrow?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

Rode sidewinder Friday and met a fat biker, today on around the mountain saw one fat bike take off and encounter another fat biker at the end of the trail. Fair number coming out!

I'm stuffed there in the back..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast