Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183

    What's the best part of Bozeman to stay?

    I'm buying a ticket the first or second week of September to visit Bozeman. I want to mountain bike a little but nothing serious, fish a few days, and visit Yellowstone. Are there better parts of town than others, and I'm looking to stay at a cheap hotel or motel.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,304
    Bozeman isn't (yet) big enough that it has seedy parts of town where you wouldn't dare stay. All off the hotels are pretty much within a 2 mile radius of each other and the entire town is mostly within a 4 mile radius. Since I usually stay at my house when I'm in the Bozeman area, I can't offer much advice as to which hotels are the cheapest/cleanest, etc. That said,

    I'd avoid the couple of hotels that are on 19th Ave (Ramada?) just because there's nothing within walking distance except for the Cosco/Target plaza.

    The Lewis and Clark hotel on West Main puts you right on Main St which would be a good thing if you like to visit restaurants/bars and not have to worry about driving.

  3. #3
    BMX:Our Shining Future
    Reputation: davidarnott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    889

    Blue Sky Motel

    I'd like to recommend the Blue Sky Motel because it's on Main street downtown, you can walk from there downtown, it has a huge beautiful city park across the street, is one block from the library, there is a whole trail system that starts at the library, it's pet friendly, reasonable and Carrie Hook is a part owner. She rocks this town.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davidarnott; 08-24-2009 at 11:27 AM.

  4. #4
    Mountain Hippie
    Reputation: PeakBagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Stay away from the 19th McSprawl wasteland at all costs!!!

    I'd stay someplace downtown for sure, try the Imperial Inn for a cheap place with a killer location and free wifi. You"ll have lots of coffee shops, restaurants, bike shops, bars, ect right out your door. Blue Sky Motel is another good recommendation, but still a few blocks farther from the action. Great time of year to ride too.

    http://www.downtownbozeman.org/index.html.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,071
    There used to be (probably still is) a Best Western near 7th and Main across from Bangtail Bicycles. They let me keep my bikes in the room. Near The Hoffbrau (is that still there?) and you can walk east along main to The Western Cafe for a hearty B'fast.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    thanks everyone. i'll check into the hotels.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    973
    I concur with Dave. Blue Sky is well located. Also, Bangtail Bikes has moved and is right downtown now. So the Blue Sky is located near 4 bike shops. Also near lots of good eating, the library, the town trail system, and my house.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    i just checked out the rates and they are surprisingly cheap. i guess i was expecting higher rates because of the closeness to yellowstone.
    is it possible to jump on a 2 day tour of yellowstone from bozeman????

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,071
    Bangtail moved? I hope the western cafe is still there!

    If you're interested in going through jellystone, I'd recommend trying to get over to Cook City and driving the road to Red Lodge...or, head down to the Tetons.

    If you're interested in taking a day hike that will get your heart rate up with spectacular views ask for directions to the trail up to Pine Creek Lake in the Absorokas south of Livingston and then head down to Yellowstone after that.

  10. #10
    BMX:Our Shining Future
    Reputation: davidarnott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    889

    Hey Gregg can I stay at your house?

    It's such a great location and the cooking just rocks! For What It's Worth here's a few more recommendations vis a vie ze Bozone.

    Downtown Resturaunts: La Tinga, Aleworks (seafood specials), John bozeman's Bistro, (oh god I can't remember the breakfast place behind thirsty ear, is it Breakfast On Main?)

    Upscale Bars: Aleworks, Plonk, Boodles (oh wait the power company blew that one up NEVERMIND), Terrible Terrible Ted's Bar And Grill

    Shlumming With The Hippies Bikers Dykes Rednecks And The Green Coalition Of Gay Loggers For Jesus: Eagles, Legion (oh wait the power company blew that one up too), Haufbrau, Scoop 'n th Molly Brown. STAY OUT OF THE FILLING STATION UNLESS YOU WANT SOME DRUNK MORON TO WALK UP AND PEE ON YOU.

    Go bike riding up Hyalite. You won't regret it. Here is a shot of Hyalite Lake. In town trails I recommend riding north and around Gallatin Recreational Pond and south to Sourdough Canyon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    It's such a great location and the cooking just rocks! For What It's Worth here's a few more recommendations vis a vie ze Bozone.

    Downtown Resturaunts: La Tinga, Aleworks (seafood specials), John bozeman's Bistro, (oh god I can't remember the breakfast place behind thirsty ear, is it Breakfast On Main?)

    Upscale Bars: Aleworks, Plonk, Boodles (oh wait the power company blew that one up NEVERMIND), Terrible Terrible Ted's Bar And Grill

    Shlumming With The Hippies Bikers Dykes Rednecks And The Green Coalition Of Gay Loggers For Jesus: Eagles, Legion (oh wait the power company blew that one up too), Haufbrau, Scoop 'n th Molly Brown. STAY OUT OF THE FILLING STATION UNLESS YOU WANT SOME DRUNK MORON TO WALK UP AND PEE ON YOU.

    Go bike riding up Hyalite. You won't regret it. Here is a shot of Hyalite Lake. In town trails I recommend riding north and around Gallatin Recreational Pond and south to Sourdough Canyon.
    Beautiful picture.
    Is this all within close distance of Bozeman??? I'll be renting a car but don't want to be driving long distance. I basically would like to do a little of everything if I can fit it in.
    A little biking, fishing, kayak or something like that, and sample the beers in that region.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum
    Bangtail moved? I hope the western cafe is still there!

    If you're interested in going through jellystone, I'd recommend trying to get over to Cook City and driving the road to Red Lodge...or, head down to the Tetons.

    If you're interested in taking a day hike that will get your heart rate up with spectacular views ask for directions to the trail up to Pine Creek Lake in the Absorokas south of Livingston and then head down to Yellowstone after that.
    Tetons?? Is this further than Yellowstone from Bozeman??
    Why do they call it Jellystone?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,071
    Yellowstone is huge, bigger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined. Going through and out the south entrance to the Teton Nat'l Park and Jackson, Wy. isn't a big addition.

    Jellystone just shows my age.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum
    Yellowstone is huge, bigger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined. Going through and out the south entrance to the Teton Nat'l Park and Jackson, Wy. isn't a big addition.

    Jellystone just shows my age.
    So I'm staying in Bozeman, should I skip Yellowstone and do Teton?
    I thought Yellowstone is closer than Teton from Bozeman.
    I'm not looking to tackle the whole park, just get a nice taste of it through a Bus tour or something. Let them do the driving.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    I'm not looking to tackle the whole park, just get a nice taste of it through a Bus tour or something. Let them do the driving.
    That's smart. Teton Park is farther than Yellowstone but not much (they're adjacent to each other - check a map). The north entrance of Yellowstone (Mammoth) is 1.75 hours from Bozeman. Teton Park is about 3 hours via West Yellowstone/Old Faithful. I'd recommend looking into whether you can pick up a bus tour at the Mammoth Hotel.

    The suggestions to do Teton Park or the Beartooth Highway are good ones but you can easily burn yourself our trying to do too much around here.

    The good breakfast place behind Thirsty Ear is probably the Cateye Cafe'. It does indeed rock. I'm embarrased to admit I've never been to the Western Cafe' but by all accounts it's not to be missed.

    Yes, that photo is from Hyalite Reservior which is about 17 miles from downtown Bzn. That's what makes Bzn cool, there IS a TON of outdoor stuff you can do all within a 30 to 45 minute drive.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,071

    BZN trail pix

    I thought I'd load up an image of the Beartooth Hwy so you'd know what it's like.

    Ross Pass and Shafthouse are 2 intermediate rides you might be interested in.

    I'm just wondering how many are familiar with Frazier lake. Now that my kids are older and I wont be taking them back to camp there, I don't mind it if everyone knows about it ...

    Ross Pass 1.jpg

    Shafthouse trail.jpg

    Beartooth_to_Redlodge.jpg

    Frazier_Lake.jpg

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,183
    Wow! I mean....Wow!
    How far is this from Bozeman?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,071

    Close

    Shafthouse, Ross and Frazier Lake (which dries out in late August, usually) are on the east side of the Bridgers, 18-20 miles from downtown. There is (was?) a downtown to the mountains trail that's flat but scenic and you can ride to it from downtown. Emerald Lake Trail and Hyalite Lake trail are up Hyalite Canyon a few miles past Hyalite Reservoir, but may have scheduled days of no Mtn bikers. RIDE THEM!

    The shortest route to Cooke City is down Paradise Valley from Livingston (which is the jumping off point for Pine Creek Lake..hike, not bike). You can stop off at Chico Hot Springs for lunch and a soak...and through Mammoth, it's about about 140 miles. Grab a buffalo burger and a huckleberry shake in Cooke City....Going through West Yellowstone is considerably longer, but you get a lot of "WOW" moments, and the Gallatin River is beautiful.

    The fly fishing is so good on the Gallatin, that even I was able to catch fish (I made it through college with a $10 rod and 2 Royal Coatchman dry flies)...the Yellowstone down Paradise Valley is also good.

    Way more info than you probably wanted, but I can go on forever.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    BMX:Our Shining Future
    Reputation: davidarnott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    889

    Wow

    I am so going to the beartooth plateau ASAP

    Nice shots!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    125
    Don't know about lodging BUT, check out the veggie enchiladaes at "18 miles to the border" downtown. Incredible!!

  21. #21
    Perdurabo
    Reputation: Maldevyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17
    The breakfast/lunch place behind Thirsty Ear is Mainstreet Overeasy.
    The Cat Eye is across the street (Tracy).
    This cat's on an intergalactic cruise...in his office?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •