mtbr member
    Nov 2005

What is your stem length and rise?

For those riding long travel bikes what length/rise of stem do you use to obtain a nice trailbike relaxed position yet capable of climbing these local trails?

My xc bike has a 120x0, but my new trail bike, with 5" front and rear", and my regular stem length will need to be shorter. I'm cluess, of course. I know it's personal preference, but is there a good guideline for fit like a xc bike; 120x0 or 5 is preferrable for those without back problems.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    It all depends on top tube length. I try to get the same or similar cockpit length on each mountain bike. The shorter the top tube, the longer the stem and vice versa. On the X-5, which has a 23.85" top tube, I'm running a 110 x 5 degree Thomson, whereas on the 1x1, which has a relatively short 23.6" TT, I've got a 120 x 6 FSA stem. The newest XC build has a 23.75" TT, and also a 120 x 6 stem, for a little bit more stretched out XC positioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    The newest XC build has a 23.75" TT, and also a 120 x 6 stem, for a little bit more stretched out XC positioning.
    EP,
    Is that the Jamis that you scored? Let's see a picture!

W,
    I ride TT of between 22.5" and 23" and ride stems that are 120mm negative 5 to 8 degrees. Yes, even on the 5+" trailbike. Basically, i like the same basic, stretched out position on all the bikes. The trailbike is a bit more upright than the other bikes because of the high front end but the bar to saddle distance, plumb line from tip of saddle to BB spindle measurements are exactly the same on all my bikes.

aaarrrggghh!

70mm X 10

It all depends on what your going for. Very subjective.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    EP,
    Sorry, no pix yet. Head out to the Owyhees with us tomorrow AM and you can see it in person.

mtbr member

Sure, weather permitting...

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Sorry, no pix yet. Head out to the Owyhees with us tomorrow AM and you can see it in person.
    Which Park n Ride are y'all meeting at?

Hoops - Big and Small
    When is 5 inches "long travel"?

Not to get all preachy on you but your bike is very versatile and you may want to try a 70 and a 100. Short if need control in the air and long if your climbing needs help.

Full disclosure - My 4 inch steed has a 90 x 10, and tons of spacers. I wish my head tube was taller.

mtbr platinum member
    I'm 6'0", and ride a 23.6" effective top-tube, 100x5 Thompson stem, on my Turner XCE (4"). I much prefer the 100 vs. my old 120x6.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Which Park n Ride are y'all meeting at?
    Bogus Basin park and ride between 15th and 16th and Idaho and Bannock. 8 AM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    ...tons of spacers...
    Good point on the spacers. I run 25mm of spacers under the stem on the X-5 to get the bars up a little higher (about even with the saddle height), but only 20mm on the 1x1 (which puts the bar lower than the saddle). The Dakar currently has 25mm of spacers, but I'll probably drop it down to 15mm.

Also, in addition to stem specs and spacers, you'll have to take into account your handlebar width, sweep and rise when dialing in your cockpit.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Make sure you ride the big loop while out there. It needs ridden. Just don't be the guy out front. The combo of spongy soil, wet loam/sand, and horse track makes for great endurance strength training.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    G - I like to sit up on the bike. The "traditional" XC position kinda hurts after 5 hours. I do prefer to have the straight line from hand to hand to be over the axle of the front hub no matter what rise or length stem.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004

On the Turner

5 Spot,
    I took the first few rides with a 90x5, but decided to go with a 100x5.
    to get a more centered position for all around riding and a bit more weight up front
    for climbing yet still short enough

Hi!!!
    On the Yeti I have a Race Face Evolve XC 100x6 deg. stem. I'd like to try a 90 if anyone out there has one that fits a 31.8 carbon bar.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    EP,
    Linkage: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...85#post1674185