Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sharing the love

What happened to the rock drop on Hulls?

Did trail workers remove the rock drop on Hulls? If you are going down hulls, it is right after the rock staircase/outcropping. It was just left of the trail. Someone had added a few rocks to it a while back so you could ride off without bunnyhopping over the rock that sticks up. The last time I went down Hulls, the little rocks were removed but there were some grommets standing by it and one was pushing a downhill bike up the trail.

Was that taken out for some reason? Did the grommets rebuild it?
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Wink

due to the lack of rocks in the boise front...i think the R to R people and volunteers took those rocks over to the new rock island trail they are working on.

Hoops - Big and Small
    I rode Hulls last night - trails in pretty good shape, very motto. Looks like they moved the rocks back to the stream edge to keep the water away from the trail tread.

sharing the love
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    I rode Hulls last night - trails in pretty good shape, very motto. Looks like they moved the rocks back to the stream edge to keep the water away from the trail tread.
    That sucks.

I think I'm going to buy a rock grinding machine so I can work for R to R removing all of the bumps in the trails (if there are any left). That's what we all want after all.
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Mr. Clean

We could call you Mr. Clean for the following reasons:

1) Clean for your trials skills in cleaning a section...
    2) Cleaning for you ability to grind rocks and sanitize trails...

It would make for a good avatar.

Man, this espresso really makes for instantaneous spackle potential.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I am not going to ride Hulls at all this summer. I swear to gawd I'm not. I'm just sick to death about hearing about 20 foot sections of trail. Sick to death I tell you.

Should I fold or should I bunch today?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Fold for a good base, then bunch for volume. See if you can set a high water mark. If you create a splash that gets you wet, make sure you say "Brrr, that water is cold!!"

sharing the love
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I am not going to ride Hulls at all this summer. I swear to gawd I'm not. I'm just sick to death about hearing about 20 foot sections of trail. Sick to death I tell you.
    Sorry about that. Back to the important issues that we all love talking about...

Bambi Swindell
    Spackle
    Funny cycling apparel
    B!tching about the weather
    Patagonia sales
    Roseanne Barr
    Barney spottings

Yeah!!!! That is what I'm talkin' bout. Spacklicious. And a modest amount of smearing.

26er

can't quite pin down the spot

and I have not been on hulls in about a week or so, any pictures?

I know they installed a new culvert a little below the rock cliff section. The place where the culvert was install was really wet all summer so I hope this fixes that water problem. So maybe when they did the culvert they moved some rocks.

You can always call david gordon over at ridge to rivers 514-3755 and chat with him.

Chris
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    and I have not been on hulls in about a week or so, any pictures?

I know they installed a new culvert a little below the rock cliff section. The place where the culvert was install was really wet all summer so I hope this fixes that water problem. So maybe when they did the culvert they moved some rocks.

You can always call david gordon over at ridge to rivers 514-3755 and chat with him.

Chris
    Do you know if thee is any plans to do any work at the creek crossing at the top of Hulls? All winter a significant portion of the creek has been flowing down the first hundred feet of Crestline and then rejoining the main creek bed. That portion of trail is actaully a bit lower than the creek, so it would require adding fill, or creating a more substantial bank for the creek.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Hoops - Big and Small

Here's a nice pic

Somebody get Dave to log on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

the new Gilbert Grape
    Yep. It looks a lot like that picture.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Let's see. If they divert the water back into the stream - so long as they are there they might as well smooth out that section of trail - which is pretty much the last remaining rocky section on the freeway. They might as well pour a little asphalt there too while their at it.

I know the rock drop Zebdi is talking about. There was a nice little gully eroding out that where R2R put in the culvert. I kissed OTB dirt there one night in a snow storm this past winter. The erosion actually made that section a bit more fun. R2R might as well put some handrails there to keep people from falling in the creek or maybe scuffing their boots or accidentally stepping on their dogs poor little toes. For shame.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Let's see. If they divert the water back into the stream - so long as they are there they might as well smooth out that section of trail - which is pretty much the last remaining rocky section on the freeway. They might as well pour a little asphalt there too while their at it.

If it's not fixed the trail will continue to errode and eventually will not be usable. That's not a desirable situation.

It can be fixed by keeping the water in the creek. The portion of the trail that is currently erroded does not necessarly have to be modified. Building up the portion of the freeway that is immediately adjacent ot the stream crossing is all that really needs to change. Once the stream no longer enters the trail, the majority of the errosion will stop. Rain and runoff that enters the trail from the creek crossing to the water's exit point would still flow down the trail, but that's significantly less water (and errosion) than what is currently flowing down the trail.

Left alone, at some point in the not too distant future, the trail will need major repair.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    snipsnipsnip
    I was being facetious.

fa·ce·tious: ( P ) Pronunciation Key (f-sshs)
    adj.
    Playfully jocular; humorous: facetious remarks.

mtbr member

mr gs

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    due to the lack of rocks in the boise front...i think the R to R people and volunteers took those rocks over to the new rock island trail they are working on.
    You should devote some time to building trail instead of crying about it.

Trail maint begins at 9:00am sunday @ the golf course parking lot on warm springs

get it

MTB Poser
    Sep 2005
    Oh no i loved that section. Everytime I go "home" I do Hulls everyday. This summer I plan on coming back and I might just cry about the change. I guess it is an excuse to explore some more terrain/trails that the locals are creating. Even though going up 8th street was my prime excuse for going back "home" from San Diego. Ack!

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    I happen to be one of those grommets you were refering to. First off we were planning to ride down Hulls when we were walking up and saw that someone had removed the rocks to create a tunnel to guide the water that was flowing across the trail. We tried to find some other rocks to replace them but none of them fit.

And second, all of the rocks that were used for the Rock Island trail were all up on Table Rock in the first place, so none of them would have been imported.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr06
    I happen to be one of those grommets you were refering to. First off we were planning to ride down Hulls when we were walking up and saw that someone had removed the rocks to create a tunnel to guide the water that was flowing across the trail. We tried to find some other rocks to replace them but none of them fit.

And second, all of the rocks that were used for the Rock Island trail were all up on Table Rock in the first place, so none of them would have been imported.
    You mean they didn't haul 100+ lb rocks several miles to build a trail in an area full of rocks?

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    You mean they didn't haul 100+ lb rocks several miles to build a trail in an area full of rocks?
    Yes that is exactly what I meant Trevor. I was responding to what garnetspur had posted.

mtbr member
    Yes that is exactly what I meant Trevor. I was responding to what garnetspur had posted.
    and i was joking 06

good to have some new posters in deltaco and mtnbykr06...

get used to a lot of sarcasm if you're reading this board..

have a good weekend..

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    get used to a lot of sarcasm if you're reading this board..
    Amen to that one brother. Just read:

1)Earthpig's avatar slogan
    2)the lower part of my signature
    3)any post by Twisted Crank

if someone isn't convinced of this truth.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Just to let everyone know, I ventured over to Hull's to fix the rock drop problem. The hole has been re-filled with rocks so we no-longer have to bunnyhop over it.

mtbr platinum member
    Just to let everyone know, I ventured over to Hull's to fix the rock drop problem. The hole has been re-filled with rocks so we no-longer have to bunnyhop over it.
    Good. Now I can use my road bike again and I won't have to break out of my aerodynamic tuck on the way down.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast