Hi!!!

New question here. What to do with '92 Trek 970 (x-post)

I ain't getting much help in either the vintage forum or Trek forum. Hopefully the Idaho forum will save the day.

The other night I picked up my friend's old 1992 Trek 970. It looks and feels pretty solid except for a slight rattle with the fork/stem/bar. Oh and no pedals.

What should I do with it? My current stable includes the Yeti, the SS, and the road bike.

One minute I want flip to turn it into a SS. Then the next minute I'm thinking of SS'ing for Greenbelt/Canyon County chipsealed road use. Then I'm thinking of just keeping her as is and using it as the anti-Yeti ride for the Foothills.

Any thoughts?

Mahalo

PS...her name is "Big Deb".

mtbr member
    either way...that's a cool bike..

a friend of mine has/had one of those.

probably would make a nice SS for the foothills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Does it have rack eyelets?

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I ain't getting much help in either the vintage forum or Trek forum. Hopefully the Idaho forum will save the day.

The other night I picked up my friend's old 1992 Trek 970. It looks and feels pretty solid except for a slight rattle with the fork/stem/bar. Oh and no pedals.

What should I do with it? My current stable includes the Yeti, the SS, and the road bike.

One minute I want flip to turn it into a SS. Then the next minute I'm thinking of SS'ing for Greenbelt/Canyon County chipsealed road use. Then I'm thinking of just keeping her as is and using it as the anti-Yeti ride for the Foothills.

Any thoughts?

Mahalo

PS...her name is "Big Deb".

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Does it have rack eyelets?
    Suprisingly it does. Believe it or not I actually thought of going the touring route too, but when the hell have I ever toured???

Man I wish I could make up my damn mind. Right now I'm thinking of keeping her just the way she is and replacing the seat, adding bar ends (damn those bars are narrow), and maybe getting some new tires. But I know in another hour I'm gonna be in that damn rigid SS mode (unless I fall into some $$$ quick and decide to get a 1x1 or Monocog).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Suprisingly it does. Believe it or not I actually thought of going the touring route too, but when the hell have I ever toured???

Man I wish I could make up my damn mind. Right now I'm thinking of keeping her just the way she is and replacing the seat, adding bar ends (damn those bars are narrow), and maybe getting some new tires. But I know in another hour I'm gonna be in that damn rigid SS mode (unless I fall into some $$$ quick and decide to get a 1x1 or Monocog).
    Rain and crappy road straightbar SS with fenders!

Hi!!!

Oh yeah...and the front wheel seems loose even though I have the QR tightened down good.

mtbr member
    Amen... that bike would rock as a SS commuter with fenders.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    It would be even more useful as a geared commuter with fenders and semislicks. 5lutting it out as a prothetic singlespeed would likely relegate it to garage sentry duty.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    It would be even more useful as a geared commuter with fenders and semislicks.
    I'm with Twisted - keep it geared and throw on some slicks and fenders. I miss my old rigid '94 Rockhopper that was used for the same purpose. (It would be a great bike when you want to put on the rain gear and go cruise for gangsta chicks in Caldwell.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Make it a single up front and then commuter it out.

26er

Melt it down for the steel

I hear metal prices are shooting throught the roof and all you need to do to crush it is toss it out on the freeway and wham flat bike ready for melting. Then take it out to the desert and shoot it a bunch of times with an ak you borrow from you gangster buddies in nampa.

Then with the money you make you can go buy some earthpig beer down at dan's ferry stop after your next ride. Any kind of beer with camo in the name is mighty tasty..
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2004

A Classic?

It's good to see it, actually. Replace the crappy front QR with a new good one that isn't worn down, get the wheels are trued up and get it a nice tune, put on fenders if you want,
    a nice set of donkey dick, I meant Specialized Armadillo or whatever slicks and have a nice commuter bike that you can train on too or ride in some dirt too, or just cruise around on