Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hi!!!

Well that's one less cougar around here...

Couldn't they just have caught or tranqued the the poor guy and release him/her somewhere far away or does that just screw them up?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/p...WS01/608240350

King of the Barneys
    I'm sorry he's gone, but if he's the same one I rode within half a mile of late the other night, then I'm relieved, too.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

roar
    Thats kind of a relief and very sad at the same time. I am concerned for myself and our dogs every time I go into the foothills. So it's nice to know that the cougar will not pose a threat any longer, but its not really his fault is it? We were the ones encroaching on his territory. I am sad that to help us be safer, something that beautiful had to die.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

mtbr member
    you know boise police...they're quick with the trigger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    you know boise police...they're quick with the trigger
    Boise police: "Oh look, a vicious rabbit. It maybe rabid, let's pump a couple of magazines into it"...

In all seriousness, once a big cat has gotten used to taking domestic cats and dogs instead of deer, their fear of humans (and dogs) are gone. It will only be a matter of time before a big cat takes a person.

CBro- the pics of the Crestline cat is a momma or poppa compared to the yearling the BPD used for target practice.... Fortunately, that cat was afraid of dogs.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Who knows what else is lurking out there. Be afraid. Be very very afraid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Barneys Unite!
    B-B-B-Barney tracks!

Run away!

Tracking up the place
    That sucks, but I understand the actions of your BPD....Wyoming game and Fish have told the same to other local law enforcement...I rather tranq them but not having the equipment to anesthetize a big cat, sucks...

I went on a night ride last night with a couple riding partners, one a new guy..And my more experienced buddy, came down of the Edge Trail and wrenched his wheel, and had to walk out, and took the shortcut out, (he designated me and the other rider to go get his car, and he would have waited at the end of the shortcut for us... He was picked up by family a little faster than we got to him.. and told me that he came across a 4-5 yr old kitty that just crossed in front of him, dragging a whitetail up and over the ridge, Said it growled at him...He was pretty animated, and wished I had been there with my gun...Just in case....

I spoke to a local animal sanctuary a couple weeks ago, he recommended that plain old vinegar in a bottle sprayed at the cats nose and eyes will give them a reminder about humans they won't forget...This is from his personal experience..He thought a super soaker w vinegar would turn them away if they came into town...and got sprayed.. Don't know if it will work but, thinking now a old contact lens solution bottle marked "cats only" and taken on a ride might be worth a shot...

I think cougars are the most beautiful big cat , I have ever seen, and been next too.. and the purr of cougar is nothing you'll ever forget, and probably not the growl either...I have tendency to look on cliff edges and up in trees, most night rides...We never usually leave a rider alone, but he was close to town within a mile and he felt nothing of it...

So sad
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

let freedom ring!

Surprising!

I always thought the safest place in town was in front of a Boise PD Officer when they were shooting at you.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Clowns are scary....but so are the emissions from my butt.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member

The Crestline Cat

For your viewing enjoyment...

Luckily (for the cat), Fish and Game didn't want to do anything about it...

King of the Barneys
    Nice, Kitty Kitty....

Yowza! What an awesome beast, and my undergrad mascot to boot! That cat could easily drag me up the tree and eat for a few days. As it bites down on my helmet covered head, "hey, just like M & M's, crunchy on the outside...."

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_ca.html

May we all not forget Mark.

I am a cat lover but also recognize that they are carnivores and have a diverse diet including small bears. I'm not sure but I think I recall hearing that they will eat 1,000 different species and probably would make a decent food critic. It doesn't matter if we are encroaching on their territory, the way Boise is growing, we can't change that fact. However, we can effect any interaction if we are unfortunate enough to see a wild kitty. Or rather, maybe we are fortunate, they usually stalk and kill from behind and the prey never sees it coming. Did you know that when they attack their kill percentage is 85%? Also, if you do see one, scare it, it's the humane thing to do. By scaring it, you are teaching it to be wary of humans. We have all been taught to observe wildlife quietly and without moving. To a cougar, that is exactly how deer behave.

The book BEAST IN THE GARDEN is a good read and educational about how cougars desensitize to humans.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpro
    Also, if you do see one, scare it, it's the humane thing to do. By scaring it, you are teaching it to be wary of humans. We have all been taught to observe wildlife quietly and without moving. To a cougar, that is exactly how deer behave.
    lol....
    What is the recommended method for scaring the cat away? ....and who actually has the cajones to do it? The mental picture I've got belongs on some TV special....'When Animals Attack' and it's a pretty short scene:

Me: (raising arms in air) BOO!
    (cat knocks my head off with a single swipe and drags me back to it's young for dinner)
    --end scene--

BTW: my post is was written in a joking manner, but I'm actually interested to know.

Hi!!!
    I'm guessing like you would do with a dog and just start yelling at it and trying to look "big".

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Give it some weed!

Given to the right cat, catnip can cause an amazing reaction! The cat will rub it, roll over it, kick at it, and generally go nuts for several minutes. Then the cat will lose interest and walk away. Two hours later, the cat may come back and have exactly the same response.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just curious if any of you Boise Mountain Bikers are packin pistols? How often do you guys/gals see cats this big on your foothill rides? I wouldn't be as worried about myself, but to a big cat my kids might look like an appealing meal. Even if you brought a pistol and used it initially as a warning shot, it may be enough of a deterrent to scare off the cougar.

Not trying to start a debate about whether to shoot animals or not, but I wouldn't hesitate if I or my family or other people were in danger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    lol....
    What is the recommended method for scaring the cat away? ....and who actually has the cajones to do it? The mental picture I've got belongs on some TV special....'When Animals Attack' and it's a pretty short scene:

Me: (raising arms in air) BOO!
    (cat knocks my head off with a single swipe and drags me back to it's young for dinner)
    --end scene--

BTW: my post is was written in a joking manner, but I'm actually interested to know.

I was referring to throwing rocks, or in the case of a firend perhaps honking a car horn. This friend said he sat in his car watching the cat in his yard thought it was cool and hoped to see it again.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Odd, I have the same response.....

In all honest truth...you are supposed to charge a cat. Arms in the air, waving wildly, and making a lot of noise. My friend did this with the cougar he encountered near the Upper Hulls Interpretive Trail. As household cat owners know when you run from the cat, it chases you out of predatory instinct. The same holds true for a cougar.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Odd, I have the same response.....

In all honest truth...you are supposed to charge a cat. Arms in the air, waving wildly, and making a lot of noise. My friend did this with the cougar he encountered near the Upper Hulls Interpretive Trail. As household cat owners know when you run from the cat, it chases you out of predatory instinct. The same holds true for a cougar.
    Also, if you squat facing the cat and make gentle cooing noises while rubbing your fingers together, the cat will pad over towards you, tail twitching affectionately in the air. It will then proceed to rub its cheek gently against your knuckles, all the while purring and making sweet chirping noises.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Also, if you squat facing the cat and make gentle cooing noises while rubbing your fingers together, the cat will pad over towards you, tail twitching affectionately in the air. It will then proceed to rub its cheek gently against your knuckles, all the while purring and making sweet chirping noises.
    Well, then, screw throwing rocks......squatting, cooing and rubbing my fingers together it is. (wonder if that'll work on my wife?)

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    The cat will rub it, roll over it, kick at it, and generally go nuts for several minutes. Then the cat will lose interest and walk away. Two hours later, the cat may come back and have exactly the same response.
    Isn't this Visicypher's reaction to spackle?

Contagious Xian
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwls13
    Just curious if any of you Boise Mountain Bikers are packin pistols? How often do you guys/gals see cats this big on your foothill rides? I wouldn't be as worried about myself, but to a big cat my kids might look like an appealing meal. Even if you brought a pistol and used it initially as a warning shot, it may be enough of a deterrent to scare off the cougar.

Not trying to start a debate about whether to shoot animals or not, but I wouldn't hesitate if I or my family or other people were in danger.
    As far as anyone I ride with knows I don't carry a firearm, however if I (solo or with my family) encountered an aggresive predator I sure wouldn't mind having a little "equalizer" in my possesion. That or maybe a hand grenade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    As far as anyone I ride with knows I don't carry a firearm, however if I (solo or with my family) encountered an aggresive predator I sure wouldn't mind having a little "equalizer" in my possesion. That or maybe a hand grenade.
    who needs a Glock when you can have this... The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch...
    It's also good for rabbits with a mean streak a mile wide

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwls13
    Just curious if any of you Boise Mountain Bikers are packin pistols?
    Yeah man. I'm usually packin' a piece when I'm out riding. Not cos I'm afeared of animals. I mean it's ok to shoot cougars n bears n snakes and all. But really it's the banditos I need protection from. I'm afeared there a'gonna find my gold diggins and this bein' the west and all, a man's gotta take the law into his own hands sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast