mtbr member
    Nov 2004

The weather in Boise

Every so often I check in on Boise weather when I look at ours in St. Louis. Is the weather there usually this wet and cold? Your averages seem to portray it as dryer.

I ask because the wife and i are probably moving there next spring largely because we appreciate more sun than we get here in St. Louis...and the skiing/cycling may be just a weeeeeee bit better,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    Every so often I check in on Boise weather when I look at ours in St. Louis. Is the weather there usually this wet and cold? Your averages seem to portray it as dryer.

I ask because the wife and i are probably moving there next spring largely because we appreciate more sun than we get here in St. Louis...and the skiing/cycling may be just a weeeeeee bit better,
    SW Idaho is the high desert. Spring weather is unpredictable (it can snow or rain regardless of what the forecast says). The payoff is endless sun from end of May to early October.

Contagious Xian

Milder

Crockpot -

I think you'll find it mild compared to St.Louis, with less cold in the winter and less humidity in the summer.

If you're into road riding, XC & climbing, you'll like SW Idaho. There are a few resorts within a couple hours to ride the lifts in the summer as well.

Feel free to PM for any local info you might be interested in~

CP

Hi!!!
    Ehhh the weather sucks right now. Trails probably won't be ridealbe for the rest of the week unless Mother Nature holds a huge blow dryer over the valley.

Rocks Rock

I played a lotta basketball and soccer in the St. Louis area. Easy to find pickup games. Some times I was the only white guy. Biking and sking is a hoooooooooooo lot betta here in IdaHo. And it's closer to Moab.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    The weather is great!!!! I only saw 2 bikes this AM and only a handful of walkers. The temps are nice and cool. It couldn't be better. The rain felt good.

Crock - the spring here is better than a Midwest spring. And come July, you can bask in the 20-30% humidity. As for winter...it is a drier cold than the Midwest.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Crockpot -

I think you'll find it mild compared to St.Louis, with less cold in the winter and less humidity in the summer.

If you're into road riding, XC & climbing, you'll like SW Idaho. There are a few resorts within a couple hours to ride the lifts in the summer as well.

Feel free to PM for any local info you might be interested in~

CP
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. B4X, I might need to contact you after we look around in early July. I understand your other half is a real estate agent.

Cheers,

Crockpot

mtbr member
    crockpot...i moved to boise from SC.

the only complaint i have about boise weather is the inversions in the winter..

this winter was not nearly as bad as last winter. guess due to the storm systems that moved in more often. so, it was doubley nice....more snow and more sun and no inversion..

except for that one stretch in early december.

the dry weather is great. no humidity is a good thing.

probably my favorite thing about boise is that it's in the mountain time zone..but really far west. so, we get really long days during the summer. still light after 10 pm in june.

which reminds me...daylight savings is this weekend...so, if the rain goes away..it will be time to do bigger rides next week...

oh wait...i'll be down in southern utah (around zion), so it will be nice and dry...

Barneys Unite!
    I'm originally from Topeka, Kansas, which has pretty much the same weather as St. Louis. In short, you will love the weather here. Much lower humidity in the summer (no 90 degree nights with 70 percent humidity), and much milder winters. The only drawback is the inversions that we get in the winter.

Hi!!!
    Best cure for dealing with inversionitis is to head up into the mountains ABOVE the inversion layer. While it could look like crap down here in the valley....Bogus, Idaho City, etc. could be the total opposite and you come back home with a suntan.

Contagious Xian
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. B4X, I might need to contact you after we look around in early July. I understand your other half is a real estate agent.

Cheers,

Crockpot
    OK thanks for the shameless plug opportunity but seriously, if you need any help we're happy to be a resource no matter what you do.

Now only if we could get this stinkin' weather under control....

cp

Contagious Xian

Bopgus babeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Best cure for dealing with inversionitis is to head up into the mountains ABOVE the inversion layer. While it could look like crap down here in the valley....Bogus, Idaho City, etc. could be the total opposite and you come back home with a suntan.
    Now you're talking - and the same goes for the heatwave riding. Just ask CBroDingo.

The best cure for inversions

The best thing to do when there are inversions is to go for a drive!!!

Muahahahahaha

Hi!!!

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Now only if we could get this stinkin' weather under control....
    Weather.com has this weather going through next week. Blah. Looks like tomorrow is our only slam dunk day for sun.

There is always the Greenbelt!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Smell

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    The best thing to do when there are inversions is to go for a drive!!!

Muahahahahaha
    That's like taking a dump because it stinks outside! But since we know you always commute, you aren't adding to the inversion stink.

Mike,

Only few on this board know how much I really commute......or is it really even a "commute" anymore

Oh by the way, I should be bumping up to a triple Dump this weekend. Very exciting. So much so it is spackliscious. I look forward to the time when I can do that 8 times. That will take a lot of food!!!!! 4 Twisted, I'll bunch then fold. I like the smooth surface.