King of the Barneys

We beat the rain this morning!

So 4x picks me up at the Brown hacienda, and I tell him, "go on without me, I've got technical difficulties." We're spozed to meet other Bomb members, and I didn't want to hold up the group. So ole 4x jumps in and the 2 of us get the ole Gray Lady going again in no time, loaded on the rice rocket roof, and away we go.

9am at Camelsback and its pretty quiet. The other Bombers obviously chose warm houses with hot coffee over cold rides. Out there it's still frozen, looks great. Behind the park, up Owl's Roost, and over to Kestrel. All the way, 4x is going on and on about how better his King Kahona is handling since he replaced the shorty stem with a longer one. You'd think he was 10 and received a BB gun on Christmas morning! But I was happy for him.

We get to Kestrel, and due to the technical limitations of the Gray Lady, I pull out ahead, standing most of the way to get the 1-trick pony up the hill. About 4/5's the way up, I hear someone riding just behind me for a while, and I think, "that can't be 4x, I've been cranking pretty steady, he's probably still hypnotized by his new stem a half mile back!" Then I feel this tug on my camelback and I'm hauling some doof up the trail until I hear our very own EarthPig yell out, "Good Morning, Chris!" before he shoots past me. Obviously he wasn't hanging onto the pack for any help on the climb.... hehe.. He's on the black Surly that's obviously a lot faster than my old Bridgestone. Proving one against boys and girls, its the bike, not the rider...

4x and I peel off down the connector to MR, rock and roll pretty fast with the trails nice and tacky. Onto the long, steady climb up Central Ridge. Kinda tough on the SS what with all the rolling resistance from the moisture, but I finally make it with enough crying and complaining, and so does the big flamingo (with the new stem).

Rock over to Bucktail, (what a mistake!) I thought it might be iffy, since 90% of it is north facing, and we had to stop and walk around 2 or 3 really muddy spots. So, what is normally a whipping, ripping fest, was more of a careful challenge to get through without doing any serious barnage.

Back down to the road and up the connector to Crestline. I was kinda dreading it, with all the rolling resistance on my fat Kendas, and the wet trails, but I make it up right behind the Dingomaster with the new stem. Down Kestrel, onto Owl's roost, just as the tic-tic-tic-tic of rain starts falling. So wer'e in turbo drive at this point, headed to the rice rocket while mud flings up in our faces as we go as fast as we can.

Would you believe we saw several compadres on fat tires heading *out* as the rain is increasing? What's with these idiots? Apologies to any present company, of course. I say to the flamingo, "these guys don't have the sense to stay home and rent a movie!"

Arrive at the 4x casa mas grande, and the dood hoses off the bikes right on the roof. good stuff, while his lovely wife stands on the porch with a look on her face as if to say, "these boys...".

Hope y'all have a great weekend.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Contagious Xian

No good Equestrian + Mud = Trail destruction

A big thanks to the equestrian enthusiast who just had to take their animal out on a muddy Bucktail.

800+ lb. animal on 6" platforms + mud = massive potholes.

Pure genius, absolutely brilliant!

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    Good to see you boys this AM. At the top of Kestrel, I took a left and went up the freeway to Sidewinder. The first 20 - 30 yards of Sidewinder was wet, as was to be expected, but the remainder was in good shape - nice and tacky. Back down Sidewinder to the freeway, and over to Hulls, which is pretty nice too. Got back to the car right as the rain started. However...I decided then I wanted to check out 5 mile. To minimize pavement miles, I drove to the beginning of the dirt on Rocky Canyon and rode up the road to 5 mile. Started in rain, and then it started snowing pretty solidly about 3 quarters of the way to 5 mile. I figured I was wet and cold anyway, so on I trudged up 5 mile. However, when I hit snow, I decided to turn around and call it a day. Back down a then very wet and cold Rocky Canyon road. Brrrr. Never has a hot shower after a ride felt better!

Contagious Xian

Yeah buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Good to see you boys this AM. At the top of Kestrel, I took a left and went up the freeway to Sidewinder. The first 20 - 30 yards of Sidewinder was wet, as was to be expected, but the remainder was in good shape - nice and tacky. Back down Sidewinder to the freeway, and over to Hulls, which is pretty nice too. Got back to the car right as the rain started. However...I decided then I wanted to check out 5 mile. To minimize pavement miles, I drove to the beginning of the dirt on Rocky Canyon and rode up the road to 5 mile. Started in rain, and then it started snowing pretty solidly about 3 quarters of the way to 5 mile. I figured I was wet and cold anyway, so on I trudged up 5 mile. However, when I hit snow, I decided to turn around and call it a day. Back down a then very wet and cold Rocky Canyon road. Brrrr. Never has a hot shower after a ride felt better!
    Hey man - Sounds like you had a killer morning too! Was cool to see you too, so let's get out there again soon. Dirk said in an earlier post he's up for some night-ish riding - I've got lights now and would like to get out there as much as possible.