Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

"Wall of Death" altered(gone). Any info?

Any Bozeman folks know anything about the slab of rock across the Mystic Lake singletrack being smashed up and leveled out? Rode up there on Sunday afternoon after a friend had told me it was "gone" and sure enough it is. WTF?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Over the years the "wall of death" has gradually been tamed, piece by piece. The slab of rock of which you speak was getting to be much more of a hazard than it used to be. The ground around it used to be about even with the edges, and has eroded away to where it was unrideable to about 90% of the people that could clean the rest of the trail. As you know, there was a pretty good penalty if you high sided at that location.

Looking beyond bikes, as the F.S. must, the rock was a barrier for anyone on a horse. The "wall" was a horse trail long before it was taken over by bikes, and some horse folks still wish to ride it. The rock also was a hazard when wet. It's a particularly greasy form of limestone. I've seen some horrendous wrecks there over the years. It was shaped perfectly to break someone's hip, and there is no helicopter landing possibilities there. Personally, I've had to actually crawl across that rock, dragging my bike behind, during a light soaking rain. Everyone who was with me either did the same or crashed.

I'm for taming that piece of the "wall". The bikers didn't ask for it, it was solely a decision of the F.S. I was asked many months ago if I would mind if they "popped" it with some dynamite, and I said no, but that some bikers would object. I hope the F.S. did a good job. How is the new tread shape? That said, there are hundreds of challenges remaining on our trails near Bozeman.

In the scheme of things, look at the big picture, we are losing hundreds of key routes across the state due to the push for more wilderness. Check out montanamountainbikealliance.com for more info. This one rock on the "wall of death" doesn't compare.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, it rides nicely and there still are some nice technical challenges remaining; it was just kind of fun to ride over that slab when conditions and confidence convened. I'm glad to hear it was the FS and not some individual who decided on their own what was best. I'm all for sharing trails, and have joined the MMBA and need to write my letters to the Congressional delgation re: Tester's Wilderness Bill and FS Travel Plans that limit and/or rescind bike access. Thanks for the work you've done and are doing on those fronts! Ride on.

jones'in
    Wow. Glad I got to ride it before that went away. I'd never ridden 'the wall' before this year and I made a trek out there a couple of months ago. Started pouring rain on me just as I was reaching Mystic lake (via the old dirt road). Rode down the wall in the rain. It was one of those 'character building' rides.... , especially since I was riding solo. I walked over that rock slab, and it was slicker than snot with the rain coming down on it. I'd have liked to try and actually ride over it once or twice (when not alone), but I guess I can now be happy I saw it at all. Definitely safer w/o that there, though.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Let's just put guard rails on the whole thing and pave it...

I rode the Trail Formerly Known as the Wall of Death tonight after work and I think it's a shame what the Forest Service did and that some people on this board think that sort of vandalism is acceptable. There are a few other rocks in the trail that I bumped my front wheel on tonight; should we blast those out of the way as well? Or maybe install guard rails along the trail so nobody crashes? It's a shame what they did up there and I hope the few remaining technical sections of the trail are not turned into golf cart paths because a few riders don't like the risk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Are you kidding me?

Galbraith said it right, it is a real shame that this was allowed to happen. I think it is more unsettleing that greg knew about this never mentioned anything. I know greg that as self appointed trail czar of gallatin county you feel like you can speak for the bikers in our community, but the reality is the sport has progressed since the homegrown sweetspot has come out and it is a real shame that this trail neutering was allowed to happen. I greatly respect and appreciate the adovacy work that you (Greg) do for the community but this makes me question what other concessions you may be making with the forest service in the name of "preservation." I apologize for the dick-headedness of this message but really, it was a three foot piece of rock that was barely a feature and as far as being unridable when wet, my buddy rode it in the rain, at night, with a cross bike- I believe that you are really over-hyping the feature in order to justify its removal to yourself. Its mountain biking, it should be a challenge if it were easy it would be called road biking.

I know that I should get over it because there are lots of other technical features in the valley but if this is allowed to happen on one trail they could all be in danger- history rock with wider switchback, garnet with guard rails on the top, I mean where does it end? As far as horse traffic its non exsistent not because of bikers but because of stroller pushing parents that ran the horse people off. So again, Greg I apologize for the tone of the message but deep down in that heart of yours you know that trail sanitation is not right or at least I pray to god that you do or we could all be fcuked.

BMX:Our Shining Future

Don't make a mountain bike

out of a mole hill
    Attached Images Attached Images

aaarrrggghh!
    Yet another completely retarded post by davidarnott.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Yet another 30 feet of trail...toast. Pfft. Nada mas. Kaput. Zilch.

There are thousands of miles of trail at risk and some people get burrs in their bloomers over 30 feet of rock.

Tsk tsk.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I value everyone's opinion on this rock thing. I didn't have time to put it to a vote to all the bikers in the area that I don't yet know. It sure would help if mountain bikers would join the Gallatin Valley Bicycle Club.

As far as a self appointed trail czar. I'm not. I just care about a variety of issues. I sure wish others would help me and maybe even take a leadership role. I see a lot of selfishness here in Bozeman. Lots of people who complain about things. The bike club here is advocate poor. I need a ton of help and wish I could help out a real leader, rather than faking it by myself.

The F.S. basically had their minds made up on this deal, and just caually mentioned it to me as part of a larger conversation. Sorry I didn't run it by you, (don't know who you are) but had I known you, and you known about the rock, the result would likely been the same anyway.

Lets work together on some real problems.

aaarrrggghh!
    For a dude who just took a solid bashing you sure handled that better than most. Well put man. Your problems are similar to ours in Boise. Just ask Mike E.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    [QUOTE=dpauli]...the sport has progressed since the homegrown sweetspot has come out... QUOTE]

Yep. I just paid off a new bike yesterday!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I'm sorry Greg

I just want to take the time to apologize to Greg for the post I put up yesterday. It was totally uncalled for and a bit personal which has no businsess being on the forum. I was just super wound up about the whole thing because as of lately it seems like the mountain bikers in this community have to make more and more concessions to appease more people. I guess what I was trying to convey in yesterday's diatribe was that I am concerened about our local trails because if this type of thing starts happening on tame peices of trails it could spell disaster for the real technical features in the valley. My other concern is that when you start removing technical features on trails you begin to "encourage" illegal trail building which I am sure we can all agree upon is bad for everyone, especially bikers. I know that the removal of a rock won't spur any new trails but imagine if they start smoothing out and removing rocks from history rock to south cottonwood. I understand that in the case of the wall of death there was no option for a ride around and that removal of the rock was probably the best option for the section. Also the forest service would have blown it up any way regardless of the input because of the amount of traffic it receives and it has an obligation to make the trail user friendly to all groups.

All admit that Greg is right, I am one of the selfish riders in the Bozeman community that is too lazy to get off my ass and do something- so shame on me for even opening my mouth so that I could cram my foot deep into it. Also, the real issues aren't the removal of a piece of rock but the removal of mountain bikers form areas like the lionhead and the crest.

So to Greg, please accept my heart felt apologies for yesterdays post, you were right in pretty much everything you said. I would gladly buy you beer to show my appreciation for what you have done because as I have already stated, it is light years ahead of anything that I have contributed. By the way congrats on the new ride and again I apologize.

-Duke

another completely retarded post by davidarnott

From now on I'm calling you "The Czar" Gregg. "The Czar Of PBR!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Oh my, I'm embarrassed. Apologies excepted.

So how about riding after work next week, swilling PBR or Old Mil at the trailhead, and discussing how to build GVBC into the powerhouse mtn bike club that it should have been years ago? How about forming a plan to have the best trail system in the state?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    From now on I'm calling you "The Czar" Gregg. "The Czar Of PBR!"
    Dave, you have the best taste. That dwelling should be on the National Register of Historical Places.

I accept your apology Ivan

For a dude that took such a solid bashing I sure handled that better than most. Yes Boy Brown's fine handbuilt outhouse should truly be placed on the national historical register of folk art corn holers. As well as his entire estate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

After work ride

Greg, I would be down for an after work ride next week. I will pm you next week so we can line something out. Thanks for being an understanding guy.

-Duke

Salad Days
    Yep. I just paid off a new bike yesterday!
    Do tell!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    Do tell!
    Yep. I'm workin the bugs out of it.

Life goes on...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dpauli
    Greg, I would be down for an after work ride next week. I will pm you next week so we can line something out. Thanks for being an understanding guy.

-Duke
    I have found out that Wednesday evening will work best for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    I have found out that Wednesday evening will work best for me.
    Greg, keep me and missus in the loop about that ride. I could use a quick after work ride/beer swilling session before my guests show up from out of town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Wednesday ride

Greg,

Wednesday is less than ideal but I will make it work. Would you want to ride mystic lake and check out the revamped wall? Maybe we could meet at the trailhead around 5? Let me know what you think- I will bring the beer.

-Duke

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    normally I'd jump at that, but with not being able to start until almost 6, we'd be coming down in the dark. I'm hoping to have some constructive dialog too. I had Bridger Bowl in my head, because I know that we can get in a quality singletrack loop there well within 2 hours, and still have time to talk. (I know several good secret trails there) I can get to Bridger by 5:45-5:50, I think.

What do you and Dir-T think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Greg,

Thats fine with me, I have never ridden at bridger bowl only at bohart. I assume you just drive up like you are going to the lodge and meet in the parking lot. Always down for some new ridding. Quater to six would work well for me, also could you give some directions if they are different from the obvious? Hope this works for dir-T as well.

-Duke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast