Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

visiting missoula with bike!

1K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  Maldevyne 
#1 ·
We are bringing our oldest out to UofM and I want to ride some Missoula goodness. Any info would be appreciated. We will be arriving 8/24, staying at the Beavertail state park and staying the week. WOuld love to get in on some group rides or go solo with advice from you all. Also, any recs on a good bike shop in town.

thanks
Dan

#2 ·
big sky bikes...right across the walking bridge from campus
hellgate cyclery..newest shop in town...downtown in an alley off of higgins
bike doctor....on toole off of broadway
bike works...on higgins(south side of the bridge) 5 blocks from campus
bicycle hanger...on brooks

when it comes to LBS there are plenty of options to choose from in Missoula.....just depends on what your looking for brand-wise The Rattlesnake offers some great trails and they are super close to town. I should be around all week if you were interested in going for a short ride up into the 'snake some evening that week.

#4 ·
yah i've seen those guys riding on thursday evenings but i like to take a little more relaxed approach to it for right now. i've got a heavy ass dh bike so going up is a bit slower for me. i tend to ride more with a much smaller group of friends. i've just been getting back into it this summer so next summer i'll probably try and get in on a few of those group rides

#6 ·
MTBigSky said:
Make sure to hit up a restaurant downtown.
Agreed... I work at Higgins Alley(on higgins between taco del sol and charlie B's), an Italian/Mediterranean-esque place with some pretty awesome pizza..awesome fresh food..tuesdays we have a pizza deal which includes a large 3 topping and a pitcher of pbr or bud light for 15$...if your feeling adventurous you can upgrade to a pitch of micro-brew(lots of local MT stuff) for $3 more...one of the best dinner deals in town imo.

#9 ·
I live in Stevensville...

about 20 min south of Missoula.

PM me and I will give you a short list of better spots to camp. (A couple with ride out options!)

Also, drop your email in there and I will give you my phone # and we can hit up a few rides while you are in town.

Oh, yeah. If you ever wanted to Flyfish...this is your opportunity. I can hook you up pn that end as well.

As far as resteraunts go, there are MANY other options than those listed, and don't believe the hype - There is NO DECENT PIZZA in Missoula. Period.

#11 ·
mtmtbkr said:
about 20 min south of Missoula.

PM me and I will give you a short list of better spots to camp. (A couple with ride out options!)

Also, drop your email in there and I will give you my phone # and we can hit up a few rides while you are in town.

Oh, yeah. If you ever wanted to Flyfish...this is your opportunity. I can hook you up pn that end as well.

As far as resteraunts go, there are MANY other options than those listed, and don't believe the hype - There is NO DECENT PIZZA in Missoula. Period.
Well, we already have reservations at Beavertail... is there no riding out there?

#12 ·
I don't know of any trails being ridden out there...no doubt there's something off of those logging roads.

Closest ride I know of would be @ 10 miles up Rock Creek. Which is 10 miles or so closer to town.

I dropped you an email with another suggestion...I am assuming you are camping?

#14 ·
Listen skippy, I don't care to run spellcheck on a forum post.
Nor do I care that you know not of what you speak.
Higgins alley may be cleaner then when it was Zim's, but the product going out the door is not much better.
Biga is barely better, and they can't make Pizzas fast enough to feed 1/2 of the people who would like to eat there.
The Bridge is just plain dirty and disgusting. But I guess some folks like a little hair with their pizza.
I walked out of Tower when I watched one of the ladies making pies blow her nose, look at it, and go back to making Pizzas without washing her hands. Now I know a Pizza cooks at 500+ degrees, but that is way past where I draw the line.

If you want a decent Pizza, don't be such a ***** and I'll make you one!

So, if you want to go for a ride and have a good slice afterwards I'd be happy to hook you up. Otherwise, continue to ***** and if you want a copy/edit fee post your address and I'll bring you a nickel.

-G

#15 ·
G-
first off i said with all due respect....
second..don't call me skippy..you don't need to flex your internet muscle
and lastly i don't believe i said anything to warrant you calling me a *****, that's just rude, i didn't call you any names.

just because this isn't chicago or new york (thank god it isn't..but i guess those are the only 2 places where you can get a 'real' pizza) doesn't mean we can't produce a quality pie. having all of your ingredients (sauce, mozz, and dough included) made from scratch along with fresh toppings cut up daily should and does produce a FAR superior product than the stuff zim's used to put out.

p.s. i don't need your nickel

#16 ·
Apologies for calling you skippy. I took your intro to be a disingenous platitude.

I didn't say people here weren't trying to make a good Pizza.
I just said they don't.
For someone coming from anywhere other than Scottsbluff, Nb. or the like, they are bound to be disappointed.

As you guessed, I am a native New Yorker. Born into and raised in a family that owned and operated numerous Pizzerias and Italian Restaurants.
Like a typical punk kid, I even worked for the old man's competitors for a few years.
I know my way around a pie and I can tell you that I made more Pizzas before my 18th Birthday than many of the joints here in town will make in the next 5 years.
I get angry when people talk Montana Pizza.
Can't help it.

Again, apologies.

#21 ·
Eat at the Bridge at your own risk...that place is filthy.

Biga can be good enough to tolerate, but the more customers they have the less of a chance you'll get a good pie. The oven just can't maintain the proper temps to cook a pizza. The owner and I have discussed this ad nauseum as he could not get his Pizzas to cook properly. Once he learned that the stones needed to be cleaned to keep the carbon from filling the pores in his bricks, things rapidly improved.

I'd rather make my own - Thanks!

#22 ·
apology accepted...pizza talked has ended..but ours is as legit as it comes in missoula... only thing biga had going for it imo was that you used to be able to bring your own booze in there and there was no charge...not so much anymore...

now if i could not work as much and get out and ride more I'd be much happier. period

#25 ·
"I'm sure there is plenty of room for you in New York still."

What and leave Montana to you sister humpin' hay-seeds??

No way...If you want to keep others out of Montana I'd suggest an education and some hard work - Then maybe you could afford that trailer home you always dreamed of.

#26 ·
Yeah.....so.....back to mountain biking..... :rolleyes:

Dan,
You should check out the RattleSnake for sure. Great network of trails. Pretty easy to ride for a couple of hours, winding through different variations of trails and not get lost. :D

Blue Mountain also has a pretty good trail network. Not all are open to bikes, but if they're not, they're pretty well posted.

What direction are you coming to Missoula *from*? If you're so inclined (and coming through this way), there is a lot of phenomenal riding in the Bozeman area as well.

--Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.