beautiful noise...

Visiting ID last week of April, ride suggestions?

Some friends and myself are planning a road trip, umm... I mean a mountain bike trip, uh... You get the point! A friend from my club, Susan, came over last year and couldn't stop raving about all the good stuff you guys have over there and we're really looking forward to experiencing it for ourselves. We'll be heading to the Boise area the last week of April. I've got some non-mtbing friends there where we can stay but we plan to car-camp too. I'm looking for ride suggestions, camp spots, good eats, etc... We'll be looking for rides up to 30mi or so, intermediate to advanced technical, kick-ass fun, ass-kicking fun, etc... As none of us have ever been there any and all help, suggestions, tips and the like would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    [SIZE="4"]out- guy[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]what I do when I'm not riding...[/SIZE]

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by guyplaysbass
    Some friends and myself are planning a road trip, umm... I mean a mountain bike trip, uh... You get the point! A friend from my club, Susan, came over last year and couldn't stop raving about all the good stuff you guys have over there and we're really looking forward to experiencing it for ourselves. We'll be heading to the Boise area the last week of April. I've got some non-mtbing friends there where we can stay but we plan to car-camp too. I'm looking for ride suggestions, camp spots, good eats, etc... We'll be looking for rides up to 30mi or so, intermediate to advanced technical, kick-ass fun, ass-kicking fun, etc... As none of us have ever been there any and all help, suggestions, tips and the like would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    From my experience, (and there are those who know everything about all the secret trails, unusual places, etc. who should be consulted) April's usually a little early to ride the high country, ie, McCall, Sun Valley, Stanley (snow or too much mud still) so you're best bets are rides around the Boise foothills, and south and west toward the Owyhees and Snake River areas. Barking Spider?

By and large, the Boise foothills are non-technical, but often fairly steep trails, offer good views, and fun close-in shorter rides. A few exceptions exist, but you'd need a local to show you. Quarry & Bob's (Dry Creek?) are the only ones that come to mind. If it's been pretty dry by the time you arrive, we have some great trails just 30 mins from town up towards our ski hill that if they are rideable, will give you a memorable experience. Check back when you're almost here for an update. I've been riding here quite steadily since '92 or '93 and still dicover new trails.

Camping? Well, there's a campground at the ski hill, free ones along the rivers, ones you can improvise, etc. I'd love to meet you guys, as would others, I'm sure. So bop in with an update and I'll give you directions to your destination resort hotel, called the Bombin4x Casa Mas Grande. They're pretty used to hosting big groups

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by guyplaysbass
    We'll be looking for rides up to 30mi or so, intermediate to advanced technical, kick-ass fun, ass-kicking fun, etc...
    A good bet would be to contact "smilycook" on this board. He's the president of a local mountain biking organization (SWIMBA) and should be able to show you some trails like you mention. While there are published trail maps for the Boise foothills, the rideable non-foothills trails (Owyhees, Danskins) are not mapped, except in the brains of a select few.