Fishing/ Biking

Vacation Ride Suggetions- MT WY

My daughter and I are driving from Las Vegas, NV to Whitefish, MT. We are going thru Salt Lake City, then thru Yellowstone on the way to Whitefish. My daughter is very new to MTB, but I would love to get her out on some trails, so probably more XC type stuff. But anything with great scenery I would love to check out.

I am just looking for ride suggestions from locals or people who have been there. I would really hate to hear about an "epic ride" and say, 'I was right there!' Anything would be a great help and I'll check into them all.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Bike&Fish; 07-10-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Teton Valley is pretty much right on your way if you're going to Yellowstone. The riding around Grand Targhee is exceptional for a beginner looking for amazing scenery. Try the Ricks Basin Loops first, then maybe Andy's/Peaked if that goes well. The Sheep's Bridge trail in Teton Canyon would also fit your bill.

Fishing/ Biking
    Thanks pancho! I'll definitely look into some of those rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Your trip sounds great. And depending on your route, you may be coming through Helena, MT, which is an International Mountain Biking Association bronze-level destination. Mountain Biking in Helena, Montana | Bike Helena

Lots of good rides here. If I could only do one, I'd say do the Mt. Helena Ridge Trail (if you're here on the weekend, you can ride the shuttle from downtown).

If you exit Yellowstone at the Gardiner (north) exit on your way into Montana, you may want to avoid the interstate through Bozeman as there was a ton of road construction there when I went through last week (maybe a local can update if things are better). Backtrack 10 miles east on I-90 and drive through the Shields River Valley (Hwy 89) through Wilsall, MT and towards White Sulphur Springs, then turn onto Hwy 12 and it will take you to Helena. It's a spectacular drive with mountains on all four sides of you.

From Helena to Whitefish, consider taking the back roads too. Go through the Seeley-Swan Valley on Hwy 83 to Kalispell, then straight up 93 to Whitefish. It's prettier and faster than taking the interstate all the way to Missoula and up through the Flathead Valley, especially during summer.

EDIT: If you want to fish, the route from Helena to Whitefish will take you past the north fork of the Blackfoot River and some superb trout waters.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike&Fish View Post
    Thanks pancho! I'll definitely look into some of those rides.
    Here's a good link:

Trails - Teton MTB

Let us know how your trip goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    do you need any suggestions for whitefish area riding?

Fishing/ Biking
    Quote Originally Posted by threepin View Post
    do you need any suggestions for whitefish area riding?
    Yeah for sure... That might be the only place I get to ride by myself, so something a little more aggressive may be fun! My bike is only a Specialized Camber 29'er. But it does have a 120 Pike up front and she can take a bit of punishment.

But some fun easy XC stuff would be great there too. I want to get my girl out as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    well there is a fair amount around here, much of it on the xc side of things. the whitefish trail system is modern flow oriented trail that will eventually connect a bunch of riding areas
    there is a mix of trail including true downhill trails up at the ski hill, nearby is haskill basin which has an informal network of trails mostly easy.

just outside of town is spencer mountain which has some built features, beyond spencer is pig farm where there is good network of old school trails in convoluted terrain, a great place to temporarily get lost. Then in each direction farther out are a number or longer trails and or long loops.
    probably the best bet with your daughter is to check out the whitefish trail system.

when will you be here?

Fishing/ Biking
    Thanks for more stuff to look at, it will help. I also want to get up to Glacier Nat. while we are there!

We will be pulling into the Whitefish area on Sunday evening, July 20th.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i won't be around then unfortunately,
    let me know if you have other questions
    what are you looking to do in the park?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The trail from Logan Pass to the view of Hidden Lake is very nice. Also, an out and back on the Garden Wall is recommended.

Fishing/ Biking
    Thanks rippling. Yeah, I guess just drive thru, and hike around a little and take pics in Glacier. Never been, but figured we shouldn't pass it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    well the normal hikes i would normally recommend aren't open yet- things are melting out late.
    so i would definitely drive the sun rd even though it will be crowded. Early morning or evening are my favorite times- more animals, fewer people. The hike to the hidden lake overlook will be fun because it should still be all snow, the trail beyond is closed for bears

Other good early season hikes are:
    apgar lookout- just inside the west glacier entrance- do this in the am as the trail is very exposed to the sun
    Scenic point- in the two medicine area hike to an overlook at the edge of the mountains- one direction the plains start abruptly, the other the continental divide is only a few miles away

trail conditions can be found here
    Trail Status Reports - Glacier National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

two trails worth doing that looked like they might open up in time for you are
    huckleberry lookout
    and high line from logan pass to the loop