mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Use of carbon fiber handlebars

Do you use CF handlebars? Did you, and switched due to fear of catastrophic failure or a bad wreck (self or witnessed one)?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Jive Response: Neva' gots' seen one brake Westin. 'S coo', bro. ah' aint switched eider. Ah be baaad... ah' do gots' some scandium DH bar on de big-ass bike dough. If ah' brake dat, make sho' nuff ya' visit me in de hospital. Did ya' git yo' tires?

"Vanilla" Response: Never have seen one brake Westin. I haven't switched either. I do have a scandium DH bar on the big bike though. If I brake that, make sure you visit me in the hospital.

Did you get your tires?

Sorry, I have to make up for earlier serious post. Non SRP - Non spackle related.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Jive Response: Neva' gots' seen one brake Westin. 'S coo', bro. ah' aint switched eider. Ah be baaad... ah' do gots' some scandium DH bar on de big-ass bike dough. If ah' brake dat, make sho' nuff ya' visit me in de hospital. Did ya' git yo' tires?

"Vanilla" Response: Never have seen one brake Westin. I haven't switched either. I do have a scandium DH bar on the big bike though. If I brake that, make sure you visit me in the hospital.

Did you get your tires?

Sorry, I have to make up for earlier serious post. Non SRP - Non spackle related.
    I have everything but the appropriate tires but seeing as how my back yard (and local trails) is Louisiana bayou it's not that big of a deal. New bike. Old tires.

Hi!!!
    I do believe I have carbon Race Fars bars on the Yeti. I'm guessing sometime this summer as I crash on Hidden Valley that I'll somehow get impaled.

26er

on my racerx

Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Do you use CF handlebars? Did you, and switched due to fear of catastrophic failure or a bad wreck (self or witnessed one)?
    I have an answer carbon bar, not all companies test there carbon bars which is one reason I choose answer. I like it and have replaced it once after a crash.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    I've used Easton carbon flat bars for several years and have had no issues.

Easton claims that they're stronger than their Aluminum bars - no idea how to confirm that though. I use them because they're a little lighter than Alumnium (although I'm not sure they're necessarily worth the extra cost).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

Go for carbon

I have used Answer, Cannondale brand name, and currently have LP Composites on one MTB, and Easton on other MTB, and Easton on road bike. No problems currently or in past. Make sure when you install you are using the proper torque on stem bolts. Really no reason to avoid carbon, other then cost factor. If they can use the material to make a tail wing on the worlds largest passenger airplane that is to carry 400+ people, a bicycle handlebar shouldn't be a major problem. Carbon today is much improved from just a few years back.

Westin, check this discussion out.

http://www.insidetri.com/train/bike/...es/1862.0.html

Check out the pic of the testing machine in the PDF. Ahhh...the days of material design and analysis. Those were the best. I got to break things until they spackled.

http://www.eastonbike.com/downloadab...Composites.pdf