mtbr member
    Nov 2006

A Truely Mind Altering Experience

Since I’ve been blocked from posting these two links to the Eagle Bike Park Facebook page, thought I would share them with the mountain bike community who so sheepishly believe everything they read on facebook and the news reports regarding the brutality of our Ada County Commissioners and their treatment of the City of Eagle and the Terrain Park proposal.

Just presenting the unbiased facts here. Draw your own conclusions. You may need to read and listen to these several times to fully understand.

Here is a link to the Ada-Eagle Sports Complex lease agreement on the City of Eagle website: Ada-Eagle Sports Complex lease agreement 2004 - Laserfiche WebLink

And a link to the audio recording of the meeting on 10/9/2013 at Ada County, go to Eagle Sports Complex discussion for the audio: Meeting Agendas

READ, LISTEN! BECOME EDUCATED!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    LSD is a truly mind altering experience. Everything else is just gossip.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

A Truely Mind Altering Experience

Shrooooooms !!!!
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    Since I’ve been blocked from posting these two links to the Eagle Bike Park Facebook page, thought I would share them with the mountain bike community who so sheepishly believe everything they read on facebook and the news reports regarding the brutality of our Ada County Commissioners and their treatment of the City of Eagle and the Terrain Park proposal.
    Just presenting the unbiased facts here. Draw your own conclusions. You may need to read and listen to these several times to fully understand.

Here is a link to the Ada-Eagle Sports Complex lease agreement on the City of Eagle website: Ada-Eagle Sports Complex lease agreement 2004 - Laserfiche WebLink

And a link to the audio recording of the meeting on 10/9/2013 at Ada County, go to Eagle Sports Complex discussion for the audio: Meeting Agendas

READ, LISTEN! BECOME EDUCATED!
    It appears Eagle is lining up to buy the Park so a for pay tubing hill can move forward. I have not been watching these going on's, so this and the fact that they have written the velotrack off is a surprise to me. Two questions, if they move forward how will it effect current trails and winter access to them and what is your position as you are pretty close to the politics involed here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

The "Smart Ones" have spoken.....

All the smart people from Eagle have done one so here is my own editorial…..I’m not claiming to be a “smart one” just an observer of insanity.

Here is how I see it.…..but without my big ugly black sunglasses. This gets intense and requires some brain power, which eliminates most readers.

Eagle wanted the opportunity to develop a playground. They sought to do this on land that was owned by the citizens of Ada County and designated as a “Rural” land use. Perfect fit, so some kind of agreement had to be drawn to allow them to do this. A $1.00/year multi-year lease is a simple and painless way to accomplish this and make the tax payers appear to be kind and generous. The lease maintains approval of the land uses and development rights remain within the oversight of the owners, all persons of Ada County, represented by the Commissioners. Up to this point the City of Eagle has done what they said they would do, develop and maintain it for free recreational access. Somehow along the way they conveniently forgot the terms of the lease which mandates a submittal and approval process prior to turning dirt and that all development would result in free public access, with of course additional short term concessionaire services on the property.

We all realize free access to public parks is only afforded through taxes and requires operational and behavioral rules. The owners of the land, all County tax payers, donated their rights to use and invest money in this land, to the City of Eagle. Either party can hire a contractor to build something on the ground but only with prior approval from Ada County and it must support free public access. The ground has a value attached to it as stated by both parties. Eagle offered to invest money and pay for all improvements, upkeep, and follow the terms of the lease. I own leased property; my tenants pay for the right to live in this property, and I set the conditions. They don’t like the conditions, they don’t sign a lease. They don’t abide by the conditions; they stop the violations or leave. Eagle seems to think they have earned some special right of full ownership and development choice through basic past compliance with the lease. This was not a lease-to-purchase agreement. The lease did not state that if you follow the rules for a few years you are granted the right to do as you wish with the land and not involve the owners. Who cares if they invested $1.75 million in the property? A big part of the $1.75 million came from the fact they were “hoodwinked” by several “scallywags” to trust in the promises and pledges of money for the Velodrome project. The City was “duped” into providing major infrastructure improvements to support the Velodrome then the financial pledges and the supporters went away. Now they try to use this foolishly poor investment as proof they have vision and extraordinary love for the land. They should have spent the money on master planning the land for multiple unique and non-conflicting sport uses, if that was the original intent. This would have avoided the land-use mess they now have.

With a little front end effort the entire property could have had a workable master plan that separates XC Bikers from Hikers from BMX from Dirt Jump from Downhill from Snow and Water Park and Skate traffic. Throw in some Skate/Ski Roller uses with XC Ski lanes too. There likely could have been plenty of land left open for tennis and racquetball courts, maybe some rock features for bouldering, an outdoor climbing/rappelling wall…..I’m getting all excited….calm down boy!. What a great place this could have been. Sure it would have taken several years for final build out, but with individual groups raising money, grants and private donations, it could have all come together over time. A facility like this is possible in an area with a population base of diverse sports groups and a financing mechanism to pull it off. Tiny little Eagle just does not have it. From a planning standpoint, currently the Ada-Eagle Sports Complex is a disaster. So many conflicting trail uses and many unused, sparsely used and abandoned trails, i.e. dual slolam / 4X / several downhill lines / jumps / drops / wood features./ cyclocross trails. It is touted as a “World Class Facility,” yet they can’t get more than 2 dozen local competitors to a downhill event. All the wood features torn out because the groups who wanted them and promised to maintain it all are too lazy to follow through. And the Velodrome debacle, look at the mess it left behind………oh!!!!!, sorry, let me get back on topic.

The citizens of Eagle decided the best way to approach the County occurred only after the County tapped the City on the shoulder and said “hey there, don’t forget about us, we are the owners and you are the tenants,” the City and certain citizens responded with an all-out media assault on the County Commissioners. The County Commissioners are fairly easy targets since we elected them to stand at the front line on behalf of all County residents. Captain Bob, Queen Mary, Golden Sprocket Boy, and Gymnastics Girl of Eagle all decided emotional outbursts and playing the victim’s role by claiming “it’s for the children,” would buy them favor in the public’s eye. They stated that any questioning of the Terrain Park project was an assault on the citizens of Eagle, and stated this is a power play by politicians with statements like “we can’t have politicians telling us what to do with our land” and “the County has let us build trails all along without their input”…….” bull crap!!!! Golden Sprocket Boy knows he could not do anything without County approval, that’s why he quit communicating with them after they began removing his work…..no permit and unsafe construction were the reasons it was removed. Why did they shut down his latest “Flow Trail” project, no application to the County for a grading permit, all as required by the lease. All the other work he has done has been based on deception and arrogance, all of which was supported by City of Eagle brain trust. I’ve done multiple work projects at the park and received County approval prior to all of it. Fairly easy process. Be honest and upfront with them and you will likely receive approval.

So the City has pizzzzzed off the County. They agree to a meeting. Captain Bob of Eagle starts off the Ada/Eagle meeting by somewhat apologizing and admitting they could have done this in some other way. He suggested they should all work together to find common ground. Shortly after, all speakers from the City turn on the County by continuing to argue they are in the right and offer up a few backhanded smartarse comments along the way. Queen Mary states the County taxpayers should give Eagle the land free of charge. Another City Council member tells Ada County they have no right, as owners of the property, to require a review and public input process for the Terrain Park approval. The County taxpayers and many City of Eagle residents want protection from the “outlaw” citizens of Eagle and enforcement of the lease. The County has stated the options for moving forward. The City does not like any of them. They want all the property donated free of charge. The residents of Eagle earn nearly twice as much as the residents of Boise and Ada County. Boise residents have been funding the foothills levy purchases to the tune of 10’s of millions of dollars, building trails and providing free access to all citizens of the Treasure Valley. Time for Eagle to say “thank you” for paying for our free access to this wonderful playground we call the Boise Foothills. Maybe they should just purchase all of the Ada-Eagle Sports Complex dirt and let them provide free access to Ada County residents, say maybe $30 million. But at least give the City credit back for 6 years of the lease, this would be about $6.00. It’s all for the children, right?

mtbr member
    Very informative, nice to hear the other side.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah, I'm not sure where I stand, but my antenna did start to go up when everything I read to date seemed so one-sided. Ultimately, though, all I care about is, what will make the park the most fun, and the most sustainable, going forward? From a purely selfish perspective, I don't care about the strength of their legal positions or the political history.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Don't Do What Pocatello Did

One more reason Ada County should not agree to subsidize the land for the proposed Terrain Park. Again, I am all for the idea of the Terrain Park, but if it fails look at the mess it leaves behind. Not as bad as what happened to Pocatello, but just as ignorant. Let Eagle buy the land and roll the dice.

Hoku failure haunts Pocatello | Idaho Companies | Idahostatesman.com

And don’t forget this little mistake:
    The Obama Administration and Solyndra - ABC News

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Terrain Park Interview with Rick Yziauirre

Take a listen to a discussion with radio talk show host Kevin Miller KIDO, located on 580KIDO.com. Go to "Interactive" then" Podcasts" then on to Wednesday Nov. 6, 2013 7am hour. The discussion starts about 1/4 of the way through the recording, try the link below.

Kevin Miller Podcasts

Truthful and informative.

mtbr member
    I was out taking the dogs for a walk today at Big Springs TH and a guy came up to me and told me he got a letter from the City of Eagle about a neighborhood meeting coming up. The text of the letter is as follows:

Neighborhood Meeting--
    Date: November 19, 2013

The City of Eagle is inviting you to attend a neighborhood meeting to be held on Wednesday, December 11th at 6:00 PM at Eagle City Hall to review a proposed City-initiated comprehensive plan amendment, annexation and rezone for +/-183.72 acre leased to the City by Ada County under Agreement #6905-0-12.

The City proposes to add the land in question to the Comprehensive Plan Future Land use Map with the following designation:

6.3.16 Public/Semi Public: Suitable primarily for development of such uses as golf courses, parks, recreation facilities, greenways, schools, cemeteries, and public service facilities such as government offices. Support activities may also be permitted.

All development within this land use is encouraged to be defined to accommodate the different needs, interests, and age levels of residents in matters concerning both recreation and civil activities. The public/semi public land use designation is not a residential land use designation.

The City proposes to annex and rezone the property to PS (Public/Semi-Public) which is defined in Eagle City Code Title 8-2-1 as:

PS PUBLIC/SEMIPUBLIC: To provide for public/semipublic development such as golf courses, recreation facilities, greenways, schools, cemeteries, and public service facilities such as government offices.

Neighborhood meeting date: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 Time: 6:00PM

Sincerely,

Nicole R. Baird Spencer, MCRP, AICP
    Planner III
    City of Eagle

That is what the letter says. I for one think the land is better left in Ada County hands. I am sure the City of Eagle will say there are no plans to change anything, but it seems like it will only be a matter of time before the leadership of Eagle changes and someone sees that they are missing out on making some money by either putting in a golf course or selling the property and re-zoning it as residential.
    Hopefully the City of Eagle will keep their grubby mitts off of it. If building a terrain park is so important to the community then they should buy a parcel of private property in the hills and build it there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Sneaky City Council

Jhandy……..I sent a copy of your post with this Neighborhood Meeting Notice by Eagle on to the County for some insight. Here is the response I received…….

“Seems to agree with the response Jana got from Eagle conflict attorney Susie Mimura that the Eagle planner was apologetic about her meeting notice stirring up some controversy. She viewed it as a necessary, but preliminary, means of gathering public input. Ms. Mimura indicated that the City Council is not “fast-tracking” this, and has agreed it is best set aside until issues are resolved regarding the future use of the land, in addition to the specific proposal for the terrain park.”

I did some snooping around on the City of Eagle website and from this document.

MOA regarding Ada-Eagle Sports Complex lease agreement - Laserfiche WebLink

Appears the City of Eagle is trying to generate some official legal looking document and minority community support for their currently worthless agreement with Neptune for the Terrain Park. I believe the City thinks it might eventually give them the authority to ram it down the throats of the neighbors who oppose the Terrain Park and particularly the nighttime operations. Once again, I am all for the Terrain Park, just not being subsidized by 450,000 Ada County Taxpayers. Neptune…….Go purchase your own piece of ground and do it like all other private businesses must do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

County Commissioner Tells It Like It Is

Take a listen to the 7 am Kevin Miller KIDO interview with Jim Tibbs, Ada County Commissioner. He speaks very candidly about the “vile, hateful and nasty” manner in which the city and supporters of the Terrain Park conducted themselves on television and digital media throughout this ordeal. All of you who did this have proven you are incapable of acting like adults with respect for the rules, administrative procedures, the lease, the land owners adjacent to the property and the 450,000 owners of the land at the center of issue. I am glad to see the sale occur. It will stop all the behavior by the supporters of the project, the illegal construction of trails on the remaining land and place all the liability for the success or failure on the shoulders of a few tantrum throwing, spoiled individuals. The rest of us should hope your past conduct and treatment of our county representatives might just guarantee renewal of the lease on the remaining land by the City of Eagle will never happen.

Thursday ? Kevin Miller Podcast

This link should get you there. If not go to 580KIDO.com, Listen, then Podcast then Thursday Podcast then 7am.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

What an Arrogant Group

Here is a bit of news on the behind the scenes action with the land purchase.

I’ve been speaking with an individual at Ada County who works closely with the Commissioners. This person tells me the purchase agreement is in the hands of the City and the Commissioners will be doing a boots on the ground inspection of the property. Also my friend at the County has told me the Eagle City Mayor has directed his Parks manager to stop all maintenance of the facility. I would imagine this includes his friends with BAMBA as well. This is how Eagle treats what they call “the Heart and Soul of Their Community.” Don’t know what may come from the inspection but here is a bit of what I found several weeks ago….and as of several days ago it is exactly the same. Let’s hope the Commissioners us some leverage with the land sale and get Eagle, BAMBA and Golden Sprocket Boy out there to repair their damage to the land and trails before approving the sale. All this on one short section of trail.

Interesting what greed ($$$) and arrogance can do to individuals and entire communities. Thanks Eagle, BAMBA. et. al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Truely Mind Altering Experience-img_20140221_144234_514.jpg  

A Truely Mind Altering Experience-img_20140221_144258_806.jpg  

A Truely Mind Altering Experience-img_20140221_144330_222.jpg  

A Truely Mind Altering Experience-img_20140221_144505_791.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What would be the point or reason behind killing park maintenance, and I wonder what direction the park will take when a sale is final? Do they have a hidden agenda?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

What Might Have Been

Goes back to Captain Bob’s public statement regarding Eagle’s decision to cancel the lease this past winter. The County considers the lease valid until such time the land sale is a done deal. This is why the County is doing the site inspection prior to the closing. If the ground is not returned in satisfactory condition The County may not proceed with the sale, but still follow through with the lease cancellation……just my opinion. Lack of maintenance is Captain Bob’s way of trying to stick it to the Commissioners for not rolling over and giving a few what they wanted. The entire event made the City of Eagle look very ignorant to the lease agreement and brought out the true colors. The sane people I know in Eagle expressed embarrassment when the actions of these few “spoiled children” as they put it, made it into the media. The entire appalling display by Eagle has made such an impression on the Commissioners they will likely never renew a lease with Eagle. Who in their right mind would want to go through something like that again?

The Eagle Bike Park as it was claimed to be, is dead. The County will likely take the safe stance to publically accessible trails as the City of Boise has and close them to bike race events. The land to be purchased by Eagle will accommodate BMX events; maybe Cyclocross events, but no downhill, cross county or enduro mtb races. The sensible BABMA memebers are looking at this deal and thinking what the H just happened, we have worked hard, put in hours of our time and money into this and we just let a couple of arrogant city officials, citizens and club leadership destroy our reason for being.

Looking back on all this drama you have to ask yourself what might have been the outcome if Eagle had used the money they will spend on the land to develop the snow park and offer it to the public as a “FREE” recreational use based on a cost sharing partnership with 450,000 county residents……all other uses likely would have remained status quo. Obviously the “Super Smart” people in Eagle didn’t give that idea a try; they know better than everyone what is good for all the rest of us.

26er
    I won't comment on the lease and sale actions, but those ruts are all over the foothills on countless trails. There is a lot of work needed out there.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

No Bridge For the Flow Trail

The bids are in for construction of the fly-over Bridge on the No-“Flow Trail” at the new Ada County Recreation Area (formerly Eagle Bike Park) and the numbers are truly amazing. I heard early cost estimates of $20,000 to $48,000 from the designer of the structure. The final dollars…..2 bidders, $120,000 and $158,063. The County rejected both bids and said no to the bridge.

So what else has been happening with Eagle, the Bike Park and the Snow King?

Eagle paid the County $172,000 and some change for land, so they, Eagle, could have the local Snow King come in build and operate a Snow Park on the hillside during the winter and a Wake Park in the old Velopit during the summer. Eagle thought they found their cash cow (greedy people). Snow King then purchases a contiguous piece of property of several acres which is covered in junk vehicles, multiple dilapidated buildings, piles of garbage, completely infested with weeds, and then he tells us he is going to clean it ALL up, build a storage facility for his snow business equipment, and maybe build a nice restaurant. He begins to recycle the junk vehicles…..along with other salvageable items, takes the cash, pushes the remaining garbage into piles, exposes huge areas of soil to blow away with the wind, leaves all the buildings standing and accessible to the public and just walks away from the mess. What a guy! He also opens a concession stand in an existing building next to the skate park to sell treats to the kiddies at the Skate Park and Bike Park. It lasts only a few days and he shuts it down.

Several weeks after he stops work at the junk pile, he is arrested and charged with felony strangulation of his wife…..OOPS! DON’T BEAT THE WIFE! The very next day the local newspaper publishes an article that tells us the State of Idaho filed charges against him for failure to obtain workman’s compensation insurance for his employees all after multiple attempts and demands by the State he do so.

Prior to being arrested, he signs a 10 year deal with Eagle Island State Park to continue operations of his snow playground. He invests nothing in the land and is subsidized by all Idaho tax payers….government funded capitalism at its best. He offers to pay a token 10% of his receipts to the State Parks Department (so we hope), but who audits his books to determine if he paying the appropriate amount? I’m sure he operates on a cash only basis. So who keeps an eye on the receipts? Is there any accountability?

The Eagle Bike Park property will require a huge input of dollars to get both his Snow Park and Wake Park up and running. But we have to ask, why would he do such a thing until the Idaho State Parks location is insanely profitable and consistently has more users than it can handle? We also know the City of Eagle forced the tax payers to subsidize his plans by voting to purchase the land for his business use, all on the promise and dream of dollars flowing into the city. Sounds like the same promises from the previously failed VeloPark.

Wake Park: I wonder if the City of Eagle ever gave this any thought prior to the land purchase, the Velopit was never designed to hold water, I am 100% certain of this. It was designed as an oval bicycle race track, nothing more. It takes specialized engineering and construction techniques to build an earthen dam capable of withstanding the huge lateral water pressures at the perimeter. How will the City control structural damage to the dam from water seepage, stop perimeter erosion from wave action, control the gophers, badgers and other burrowing animals that dig pathways for water to flow and sudden failure to occur? How many adjacent homes might be flooded when it ruptures? But we all know those that voted to purchase the land are smarter than us, they told us so.

If this entire mess continues and the City of Eagle along with the State of Idaho maintain their business ventures with an alleged “Wife Strangler” (a felony charge by the way) what are we to think of people in government who decide to continue? But I almost forgot, he is a former professional athlete, so he deserves a free pass like all other pro athletes.

And get this interesting little factoid, his personal attorney is also the attorney for the City of Eagle and she serves on the Idaho Parks and Recreation Board. Is there a conflict of interest in there somewhere?

So where are all of his previously vocal, caustic and animated supporters? And dare we ask about his claimed financial backers? They too have got to be questioning themselves about any liability by association. In the world of big time sports figures, sponsors typically bale out and distance themselves from socially repugnant situations. But we can rest assured, the City of Eagle does proclaim of itself as a ”friendly and family-oriented community,” which might give us hope they will wake up and do the right thing………really?, I doubt it.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Some things are just cursed for life at the get-go. I'm thinking that couple of hits of 4-way blotter will probably iron it all out for you. Just sayin.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.