mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Which Trails Still Rideable w/in the Hyalite-Porcupine-Buffalo Horn WSA?

Hey SW MT riders, coming back to the "scene" after a couple of years away. Summer 2010 was the last time I did any riding in the area. Is there a good resource available that shows which trails are rideable post-new travel plan? Also a good place to find out what the day/time restrictions are for the Hyalite & Bridger west side trails? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The Beartooth maps all show time share restrictions.

GregB can speak to WSA issues, and Afraid can give beta re: ridability...

mtbr member

grizzly loop ridable?

I'm guessing not, but just wondering if anyone knows current conditions for porcupine creek/grizzly loop?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome ad View Post
    I'm guessing not, but just wondering if anyone knows current conditions for porcupine creek/grizzly loop?
    Porcupine trail from trailhead to Elkhorn trail junction closed until June 15. State land access closed until May 15, then you have to ride across undesignated trails to Grizzly Loop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Try Twin Cabin, it's legal and almost dry to the Porcupine saddle, then ride undesignated trails in Porcupine, especially the one to the left of saddle to Lemon's Knob. There's actually 2 trails from the Twin Cabin trailhead that meet up near the saddle, the official one is signed and the other is just 50 yards over to the north/left, singletrack visible from parking lot... There's even a third singletrack that follows the river to Porcupine trailhead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    Try Twin Cabin, it's legal and almost dry to the Porcupine saddle, then ride undesignated trails in Porcupine, especially the one to the left of saddle to Lemon's Knob. There's actually 2 trails from the Twin Cabin trailhead that meet up near the saddle, the official one is signed and the other is just 50 yards over to the north/left, singletrack visible from parking lot... There's even a third singletrack that follows the river to Porcupine trailhead.
    Thanks for the suggestions afraid. I ventured up to the Madison Valley this weekend and found what I was looking for on that side.