Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Trails are dry??

Friend who lives on 9th near the trails says everything down low is dry. How can that be? It rained a foot yesterday. I'm thinking of skipping out on work, but don't want to waste a good excuse ("Uh, yeah, big meeting just came up no one knows about but me. Phone reception will be bad so don't try calling.") if everything is slicker than greased own shiyat even down by Military or Freeway.

roar
    Looked muddy to me this morning.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Friend who lives on 9th near the trails says everything down low is dry. How can that be? It rained a foot yesterday. I'm thinking of skipping out on work, but don't want to waste a good excuse ("Uh, yeah, big meeting just came up no one knows about but me. Phone reception will be bad so don't try calling.") if everything is slicker than greased own shiyat even down by Military or Freeway.
    Depends on your friend's definition of "dry." If he/she defines "dry" as not being underwater, he/she could be correct. We officially received .67" of rain yesterday at the airport, so that means probably closer to a solid inch in the foothills. It never cleared off or cleared up overnight, even though it stopped raining late evening. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that "everything" down low was "dry" as of this morning, unless of course "dry" means "not underwater." I think the responsible thing to do would be to wait at least 18 - 24 hours before hitting the foothills. In fact, I altered my planned ride today from mountain to road for that very reason. However, as the tire ruts on the foothills trails prove, there are many, many irresponsible cyclists in the valley who don't give a sh!t whether the trails are "dry" or not.

Hi!!!
    Here is Boise's forecast:
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_foreca...&county=idc001

Let's say it stops showering mid-afternoon tomorrow....whaddya think Rocky Canyon or 8th St. will be like around 5:30pm?

Or am I on the Greenbelt again or heaven forbid inside the gym tomorrow evening?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Here is Boise's forecast:
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_foreca...&county=idc001

Let's say it stops showering mid-afternoon tomorrow....whaddya think Rocky Canyon or 8th St. will be like around 5:30pm?

Or am I on the Greenbelt again or heaven forbid inside the gym tomorrow evening?
    Rocky Canyon and 8th are always good... At least, it's much more fun than the Greenbelt and a better workout... 8th Street is also good on a SS when wet...

mtbr member

I just got back from a Dork loop

and it pretty much was like this the whole time
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    do faceplants cause erosion?

mtbr member
    yeah. dingle..killer ride today brah! good ridin' with ya.

Last edited by garnetspur; 03-30-2006 at 03:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I went to the small network of trails near old Hwy 55/Veteran's Cemetary. It was a bit muddy in about 5% of the trails but nothing major. Overall it was ego dirt (can't do no wrong).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I rode 8th last night to the snow line and although soft, it was rideable. Probably somewhat softer today though

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If it's not raining tomorrow I'll ride either 8th or take the road to Rocky Canyon and see how far up it is rideable. this weather will be over soon, shed it's dark skin to reveal the light!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Rocky Canyon Rd

Rode RCR to just below the summit yesterday A.M. Firm all the way, tail wind going up -hit a ragged snow floor near the top that was beyond my limited comfort zone. Look out for all the Robie runners on your way down. All the water rushing by makes for a beautiful white noise.
    I feel a little Bucky comin' on!

beer is good
    Prolly no good today, but yesterday (Thur) Rocky Canyon, Orchard Gulch (#7), the drop in to 5 Mile Gulch, and lower 5 Mile Creek were all very good,except the creek crossings
    and a few little run-off streams here and there.
    I was surprised at how firm trail 7 was, the moist sand was hard packed and offered
    excellent traction on the climb up with a couple of small snow patches.
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nels
    Prolly no good today, but yesterday (Thur) Rocky Canyon, Orchard Gulch (#7), the drop in to 5 Mile Gulch, and lower 5 Mile Creek were all very good,except the creek crossings
    and a few little run-off streams here and there.
    I was surprised at how firm trail 7 was, the moist sand was hard packed and offered
    excellent traction on the climb up with a couple of small snow patches.
    Yeah, as cinnoman monkey and I were starting our road ride yesterday from Camelsback, a couple of guys ending their mountain ride reported "soft but rideable" foothills conditions. This time of year, the trails really need only about 6 - 8 hours to become rideable and 12 - 24 to be dry with puddles.

Hi!!!
    OK...so let's just say the weather is like this for the next couple of days...off and on light showers....here in downtown at lunch we had a small sprinkle. As of a couple of hours ago, Weather.com had Thursday as being the only decent day for the next 10 days. Am I good to go that evening on the Dork Loop or should I sit it out and stick to Rocky Canyon or the Greenbelt?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Don't know about RC specifically but......

looked at the Nat'l weather service link Geoff sent me and it looks wet up until about Wed evening, then a much smaller % of precipitation or rain. So I think we might be good to ride in the front and the Owhyees by friday or sat, sun.

The forecast for a few miles SE of Melba (Owhyess I think) was similar

Hi!!!
    Anyone Dork Looping later today? I'm Greenbelting. Woohoo!!! HEADWINDS!!!

It doesn't look like there is gonna be any more substantial precip for the rest of the day and tomorrow it's looking pretty decent with no rain *knocks on wood* and sun. With all this damn wind, just wondering if the Dork Loop will be OK tomorrow betwixt 5:30-7pm?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

It doesn't look like there is gonna be any more substantial precip for the rest of the day and tomorrow it's looking pretty decent with no rain *knocks on wood* and sun. With all this damn wind, just wondering if the Dork Loop will be OK tomorrow betwixt 5:30-7pm?
    Heck, Dork Loop is probably in that "dry with puddles" stage this afternoon. This time of year that top layer of dirt dries pretty quick. You should easily be good to go by tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Did a short dork loop this afternoon

15th St connector trail-Chickadee-Hulls-Kestrel-Fwy.

Hulls is okay, a lot of Kestrel is still pretty mucky, the fwy isn't too bad.
    I'd say it needs one or two more days of sunshine and then maybe the connector and military reserve/shanes, 3 bears etc will be good too.

DAng lot of hikers and dogs out there tonight!

Hi!!!
    Thanks for the report Daryl.

So what would be my best option for tomorrow evening?

I FINALLY put on the Kenda Cortez (or is it Corti)?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I parked at Camels Back at about 5 yesterday to go road riding and during the time I was there getting ready to ride and then when I finished up at 6:45 I must have seen at least 25or more riders heading out to or coming back from the trails. Given the 48+ hours of hard rain from Tuesday through Wednesday night, I personally would have given it until today to dry out, but clearly these 25 - 50 other riders saw it differently.

Hi!!!
    Will Corrals be doable later today?

Where are those Rangers so that they can update us on trail conditions!?!?!? Or is flip back in Moab again????

mtbr member
    May 2004

I dunno yet

Thanks for the report Daryl.

So what would be my best option for tomorrow evening?

I FINALLY put on the Kenda Cortez (or is it Corti)?
    I took a PTO day today, so Nels and I are going riding. I'll post a report later, before I start my azz studying again!

But for now, you know Hulls is good, little Chickadee connector is fine with some puddles and small mud section to go around (or manual over), freeway was actually okay.
    Again, yesterday, top part of Kestrel was bad from the bridge to Hulls to a ways after it goes past Sidewinder, mucky yucky spucky shcumyky splucky crucky stucky spooky cooky dooky mooky

mtbr member
    Will Corrals be doable later today?

Where are those Rangers so that they can update us on trail conditions!?!?!? Or is flip back in Moab again????
    Mostly puddles out there and some run-off. There is always a dry line on the sandy-rocky trails (like Hulls). Avoid lower Bucks, the bottom of Scott's, the switchback from the Corrals parking lot, the shady part of Red Cliffs and maybe, the lower part of Sidewinder (although this should be ok by this afternoon). Some of the stream crossings in the Mil Reserve were raging this morning-be careful crossing.... Have fun!

Nick, if you do Corrals, try to start from 8th Street. That way if you hit a good patch of mud, you can turn around and do some alternative trails instead of heading back to the car/pavement if you started off of Bogus....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well said

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast