mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trails around NE yellowstone/ cooke city

I've got a family vacation coming up and was hoping to get away for a few hours to ride some singletrack. We're staying in Cooke City MT, right near the WY border and the NE yellowstone entrance.

So, are there any good mtb trails nearby? It looks like there are a ton of national park trail systems nearby but the backcountry trails are closed to mt bikes, right? Unfortunately we've only got a single car for the whole family so I'm looking for ride options right out the door... I don't mind riding gravel or pavement for an hour if the trails are worth it!

Also, what are the chances of finding a nearby bike rental? Looks like there is a Cooke City Bike Shack but I can't find any info online.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just got back from my trip. There is a tiny bike shop in Cooke City right next to the coffee shop that has some low-end MTBs for rent. The only real riding is on the forest service roads and ATV/Jeep trails near Lulu Pass and Daisy Pass. Saw lots of deer and moose but, thankfully, no grizzlies. There is a lot of abandoned mining equiptment and evidence of the šNew World Mining District" that used to exist here. Lots of beautiful views and smooth dirt roads - but no real singletrack that I could find. Regardless, the scenery was well worth the ride.

some maps available here:

Bike Ride Profile | Daisy Pass, MT near | Times and Records | Strava
    Bike Ride Profile | Lulu Pass, MT near | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    You didn't happen to see 3 guys in a white pick up truck lounging around by any of the monitoring wells did you? I "get" to spend more time up there than I prefer but it sure can be a pretty place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nice pics, so that is what it looks like in the summer. I been up to daisy and lulu half a dozen times in the winter.

mtbr member
    Nice pics! It's too late for the OP but for future reference this sounds pretty cool if you can get dropped off on the top of the Beartooths and are heading to Red Lodge.
    Line Creek Plateau: Powell MTB and Reviews

mtbr member
    The Wilderness insures that there is not much legal mtn. bike singletrack around Cooke City.

Tons of illegal singletrack though!! Just look at a map and don't tell the purists in these forums!

Morrison Jeep Road is another great ride off of Beartooth Pass. More good rides in Sunlight Basin too. Bring bear spray.

(Thanks for the Line Creek link rockman...I always wonder if anyone uses any of those posts)

jalepenio jimenez
    that third picture is righteous. thanks for the uplift.
    I dig, chop, strangle, yank, stomp, annihilate, mutilate, eradicate, and FU goatheads