Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    roar

Trail report 1-30-06

Get out yer road bikes. The trails are crap.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    How was your ride yesterday?
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

roar
    Actually really nice and mellow. We got a fairly early start- left before 9 and headed out and like 30ish minutes into the ride I broke a chain on a climb, so we headed back to Georges and got a new one. Then we headed back out and went up mtn cove road where you saw us. Went back up over to the freeway and just kinda stuck to the lower, drier trails. In all we were messing around on our bikes for just over 3 hours. It was nice to just be out getting some pedaling in.

Contagious Xian

Oh nooooooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    Dangit...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hoops - Big and Small

Just Missed You And G Yesterday

Actually really nice and mellow. It was nice to just be out getting some pedaling in.
    I got out of the house around 9:30 - I took the Big Green Single out for yet another shakedown cruise. I brought an extra SS chain as I was riding on a brand new one. Too bad I did'nt run into you two.

From the Freeway I hiked up the motto connector to the Top O Sidewinder and plowed through the snow down Sidewinder, fun stuff!

I was missing my geared suspension bike yesterday, with the deep snow I needed some mechanical advantage (more gears) and with all the runners post holing the snow it was a bit bumpy on my ridged cruiser. I'll take some Gruyere to go along with my wine.

roar

Stupid postholing runners...

Too bad we missed you! Sounds like you had a fun ride. We were out on the singlespeeds too, but we didnt ride in as deep of snow as you did. Did that Saturday morning. It would have been nice to run into you- you with a chain, me with a broken one... but I suppose I needed a lesson in being more prepared.
    Last edited by rocknrollbarbie; 01-30-2006 at 11:59 AM.

sharing the love
    Holy Crap! And I thought this "light" precipitation we are getting would really help our severely dry, dusty trail conditions.

Man, am I glad for posts like this so I can keep looking at my computer monitor instead of turning around and looking out the window...
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]

roar
    And Im glad for posts like yours that challenge me to use more intelligence and wit.
    Last edited by rocknrollbarbie; 01-30-2006 at 01:05 PM.

King of the Barneys
    And Im glad for posts like yours that challenge me to use more intelligence and wit.

Boy am I glad I bought a family membership to the YMCA for Christmas. And I'm the guy who always said, "who in their right mind needs a health club, we live in Idaho, for Pete's sake!" So there ya go...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Contagious Xian

And...

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Boy am I glad I bought a family membership to the YMCA for Christmas. And I'm the guy who always said, "who in their right mind needs a health club, we live in Idaho, for Pete's sake!" So there ya go...

CDB
    ...aren't you the same character that said riding a dh or fr bike was for kooks? Now look at ya with the 5"+ double boinger peacock bike "Reverend-Father Titus" and lift access riding at Brundage, etc with us dumbazz hooligan punks! Age does bring wizdumb!

Just messing with you brother CBro, you're the man...!

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    ...aren't you the same character that said riding a dh or fr bike was for kooks? Now look at ya with the 5"+ double boinger peacock bike "Reverend-Father Titus" and lift access riding at Brundage, etc with us dumbazz hooligan punks! Age does bring wizdumb!

Just messing with you brother CBro, you're the man...!
    Hey bartender! I want what he's drinkin, and make it snappy!

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

I dunno about you...

Man, am I glad for posts like this so I can keep looking at my computer monitor instead of turning around and looking out the window...
    But looking out your window isn't an indication that the trails are rideable or not. Being out on the trails for a recon run in the morning IS a good indicator whether the trails are rideable or not. Of course, if folks prefer to sleep in their comfy warm beds through the morning freeze, that's fine with me also. The trails are just that much emptier when it's at its best. Heck, by the time you wake up, RRB has probably already run 6 miles and biked 10!

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Of course, if folks prefer to sleep in their comfy warm beds through the morning freeze, that's fine with me also. The trails are just that much emptier when it's at its best. Heck, by the time you wake up, RRB has probably already run 6 miles and biked 10!
    You guys are way too damn gung-ho with this early morning crap!!!! When 6:30am rolls around for me I'm dreading coming into the office.

FWIW....according to Weather.com, next week is suppose to be nice with mostly sunny skies and temps in the low 40s. Yay!!!!

mtbr member

brrrrr...

You guys are way too damn gung-ho with this early morning crap!!!! When 6:30am rolls around for me I'm dreading coming into the office.
    Believe it or not, the safest (in terms of running into people) and the fastest (in terms of pure traction) time of the year that you can ride the foothills is in the morning at 8am after a good freeze. You can climb things when it's frozen that you won't even consider when it's summer (such as trail #4 up to 5 and 6). Get out there and give it a shot in the morning, you will not regret it. In the long term, you will not remember the work you did on the morning of 1/31/06 but you will remember riding up #4 or 3 Bears or Bob's just as the sun was coming out in the middle of winter.

by 6:30 I've fed da puppies, let dem out ta spackle da yard, an' be dressed fo' da AM ride ta werk.

PoSt Statistics: Spackle Reference = 1 peep this sh!t

Brought to you by the Ebonics Translator

sharing the love
    But looking out your window isn't an indication that the trails are rideable or not.
    When it's 40+ degrees and has been raining hard all night, I think I can pretty much tell that the trails are not rideable.

Heck, by the time you wake up, RRB has probably already run 6 miles and biked 10!
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]

roar
    Must be those big brains of yours. You keep doing your workouts- turning your head from your computer to look out the window. I will go get my shoes muddy. Don't worry- I will give you a good trail report. I know you will be looking for it.

Contagious Xian

Friday Morning Trail Report please

flip and RRB - por favor - please let us know how the trails look tomorrow if you're out running or riding (specifically if you hit up 8th St trails). Many thanks.
    CP

mtbr member

Based on today

The Hulls Loop should be ok by tomorrow. 8th Street was pretty dry as of yesterday and we didn't get any more moisture today. I also ran the trails off the cemetery side of Mil Reserve this evening and they were nice sandy and pretty dry. The usual loops on the Mil Reserve should be crap. Your best bet would be Rocky Canyon Road to 3 Bears down the Southeast side of Shane's and through Central Ridge.
    During our ride yesterday, we found these off of 8th St. 4.25" wide tracks (wider than it is longer) can only mean one thing...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contagious Xian

Oh yeah baby

I got the bike and gear ready to ride after work tomorrow. I'd ride the greenbelt if I had to - I'm going nuts without riding.

If anyone's going to be up around 8th St I'll be starting from CB parking lot. Let me know to look for you if you want to ride...

Nice cougar paw pic G...
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 02-02-2006 at 09:45 PM. Reason: ride invite

Rode tonite with the woofy. Short sections of Hulls are soft. Same situation with the Freeway. If it doesn't rain tonite, it should dry out more

When I rode on Rocky Canyon rode on Sunday, there was 8 inches of snow just past the cattle guard...and from the stuck snowmobile I rode past...there is plenty of ice under that snow, so getting to the top of 3 Bears might be difficult. I would suggest having studded tires. The lower part of Shanes will have soft to really soft sections...especially the part just west of the intersection of Bucks.

I saw six or so riders tonite. I didn't see any cougars, but that was expected. I saw a bulldog, though. He didn't seem to like my Vizsla.

Dusk and dawn...best time for hunting and fishing....guess that applies to cougars too.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    4.25" wide tracks (wider than it is longer) can only mean one thing...
    That you're being stalked and that you are absolutely unsafe any time that you venture outdoors? I think not.

Cougar tracks are all over the foothills (just like Barney tracks) so I'm not certain what the big deal is.I guess it's kind of an interesting novelty but I'm certainly not going to modify my riding habits because of it.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Visicypher -

so, i think our dogs met last night. i was down in the dog park (overflow pond) with my two dogs. they ran up to a rider who had his vizsla on a retractable type leash.

my dogs were so confused. they love it when i take them on bike rides. and i think they were confused with another vizsla running with a biker. they were ready to go. luckily they came back down (amazing really)>

so anyway. trails aren't bad over in that area, huh? so, you rode from the eastside to the military reserve connector up to the freeway, and did that little loop? cool, maybe i'll do that loop today.

mtbr member

Knowledge...

Cougar tracks are all over the foothills (just like Barney tracks) so I'm not certain what the big deal is.I guess it's kind of an interesting novelty but I'm certainly not going to modify my riding habits because of it.
    I don't think any of us modifies our riding habits because of wildlife. However, it's good knowledge to know what is out there so folks can educate themselves on how to react to whatever may happen. It's actually a lot like knowing how to patch a tube, you may never ever use it, but it's good to know what to do if it does.

Now- those monster sheepherding dawgs are another story. I see sheep, and I turn the other way... Run away! Run away!!!!

That was me!!! Your Vizsla is named Tucson? He really wanted to follow Ty badly.

Did I meet you and your significant other at James's party for Bobby??? If I did, sorry...I forgot your name. I would like to say it was the 2 shots and the beer, but I am bad with names.

I rode from the East End over to Kestrel, up Hulls and down the Freeway and back to the EE. Ty need to get out, as did I. The trails aren't bad. There are some short, soft sections, but otherwise it firm. It should drain out more today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast