mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trail recommendations for Sandpoint/Lake Pend Oreilles

We'll be renting a houseboat on the lake this July and will be bringing my bike in hopes of finding some epic trails. I used to spend summers up there when I was in high school before the mountain biking bug bit me. I know there has to be some fantastic rides. Preferably something I can start where we beach the house boat (Green Bay, etc.) as I wont have access to a car to get to trail heads.

Thanks in advance,

CG
    Last edited by MTB_Dad; 02-12-2006 at 09:04 AM.
    Chris G
    Riding a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro 120
    Somewhere behind the Orange Curtain

Don't worry, be happy!
    1. google "lactic acid heads."
    2, Lots of good riding at Farragut state park, there's a dock at Bottle Bay. You can even hit Bernard Peak from there.
    3. When in Sandpoint, look up the Pend Oreille Pedalers, the mtb club up there. Rumor has it they are working on a regional map.
    4. Gold Hill trail head is right next to the long bridge but not sure where you'd park the boat or get dropped off.

formica

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    1. google "lactic acid heads."
    2, Lots of good riding at Farragut state park, there's a dock at Bottle Bay. You can even hit Bernard Peak from there.
    3. When in Sandpoint, look up the Pend Oreille Pedalers, the mtb club up there. Rumor has it they are working on a regional map.
    4. Gold Hill trail head is right next to the long bridge but not sure where you'd park the boat or get dropped off.

formica
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like Farragut is geared towards beginner/intermediate riders, does it get a bit more advanced heading up Bernard Peak? Also, is the Gold Hill trailhead on the Sandpoint side or the Sagle side?

Thanks again,

Chris
    Chris G

Don't worry, be happy!
    The Falcon Idaho Guide by Steve Stuebner has trail head directions for Gold Hill and Bernard Peak. You'll want to check in with Mountain View Cyclery in Hayden Lake for how to get to Bernard Peak trail from the lake. The directions in the book to the trail head are incorrect to say the least,and that's not counting getting there from the lake.

As for epic and ability levels... when I think epic, I think 20+ miles with a bit of adventure and remoteness. You won't get that right next to the lake.
    Gold hill is a 6 mile climb with about 50 really cool rideable switchbacks... you must have a good fitness level to do this climb or you will be really, really sorry. Bernard Peak is an incredibly beautiful deep forest climb about five miles up if you count from the logging road trailhead, not the lake. I'll dig up some photos later. I don't know Farragut really well, I still get lost there. The NW side of the park the forest trails are a blast.

formica

Don't worry, be happy!
    Bernard Peak trail:

shoreline trail at Farragut:

pics from Gold Hill
    Fall Riding

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    The Falcon Idaho Guide by Steve Stuebner has trail head directions for Gold Hill and Bernard Peak. You'll want to check in with Mountain Cyclery in Hayden Lake for how to get to Bernard Peak trail from the lake. The directions in the book to the trail head are incorrect to say the least,and that's not counting getting there from the lake.

As for epic and ability levels... when I think epic, I think 20+ miles with a bit of adventure and remoteness. You won't get that right next to the lake.
    Gold hill is a 6 mile climb with about 50 really cool rideable switchbacks... you must have a good fitness level to do this climb or you will be really, really sorry. Bernard Peak is an incredibly beautiful deep forest climb about five miles up if you count from the logging road trailhead, not the lake. I'll dig up some photos later. I don't know Farragut really well, I still get lost there. The NW side of the park the forest trails are a blast.

formica
    Thanks again, the pictures are great. I'm really looking forward to exploring. Quite different from So. Cal. riding.

CG
    Chris G

Lacticacid head
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dad
    Thanks again, the pictures are great. I'm really looking forward to exploring. Quite different from So. Cal. riding.

CG
    Formica is right, Farragut / Bernard can be as advanced as you want it. Actually if you dock at buttonhook bay in the park, you can ride up shoreline, and then hit the scout trail and singletrack all the way up bernard. A couple of portage up and over rocks on Scout Trail. You can also ride close to 30 miles of rolling singletrack in the park as well,, and starting from buttonhook hit shorelne for a nice root and rock fest on the waters edge. If you couple Bernard climb and what we call Hellabill trail, you could put together about a 40 mile ride in and around Farragut. It is a pretty fun ride lots of rollers.

As to Epic from there,, I have been formulating a ride up bernard, over to Clark Fork, and back around, or possible Fernan Saddle/ Canfield/Bernard route..

Let us know when you are going to be in the area,, alot of the 'Heads are heading to Tahoe for the 4th of July week, for an annual road trip Hitting Tahoe Rim, Flume, etc..
    If you go to the link below,, look for the pics link,, there should be some shots of farragut floating around there,,,

Happy Trails ~
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Tripps
    Formica is right, Farragut / Bernard can be as advanced as you want it. Actually if you dock at buttonhook bay in the park, you can ride up shoreline, and then hit the scout trail and singletrack all the way up bernard. A couple of portage up and over rocks on Scout Trail. You can also ride close to 30 miles of rolling singletrack in the park as well,, and starting from buttonhook hit shorelne for a nice root and rock fest on the waters edge. If you couple Bernard climb and what we call Hellabill trail, you could put together about a 40 mile ride in and around Farragut. It is a pretty fun ride lots of rollers.

As to Epic from there,, I have been formulating a ride up bernard, over to Clark Fork, and back around, or possible Fernan Saddle/ Canfield/Bernard route..

Let us know when you are going to be in the area,, alot of the 'Heads are heading to Tahoe for the 4th of July week, for an annual road trip Hitting Tahoe Rim, Flume, etc..
    If you go to the link below,, look for the pics link,, there should be some shots of farragut floating around there,,,

Happy Trails ~
    Thanks Capt. Trips. I actually registered on your site yesterday but have not had a chance to post. It will be good to get back up to the Sandpoint area, it's been way to long. Friends of the family used to own a horse ranch in Sagle and I spent 4-5 summers up there as well as a couple of winters. I'm looking forward to exploring on two wheels rather than on 4 legs. We'll be up there the 3rd week of July, I'll post exact dates. I'd definitely enjoy getting the inside scoop from those in the know. Thanks again for the info.

CG
    Chris G