mtbr member

Trail Building Help

Hello all.
    I was hoping to get some advice and guidance from those that have traveled this route successfully so that I can find the best way to get this done.

I moved to Harris Ranch several months ago and it is a great place for many reasons. One thing that I believe could be much better is in the area of trail access. We have the Homestead trail complex, but we also have the Table Rock complex just above us that connects with the Mesa.

I have initiated the proposal process of building two new connector trails from Dallas Harris Estates (the area where Warm Springs has been rerouted) to the trail head of Homestead and another form Dallas Harris to the Mesa/Table Rock complex.

Here is a link to the map:
    Scribble Maps - Create custom google maps with scribblings and more!

What advice would you have for me and who may be good persons or organizations to help us out?

I have a large number of residents that are willing to volunteer to build and maintain the trails along with rangering them as well.
    I plan on furthering this with the Harris Ranch people and I have already contacted Fish & Game.
    Should I contact Dave Gordon and R2R?
    SWIMBA?

Thanks for your help.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Boiseboy,
    If you and your neighbors are in it for the long haul you might have a good trail project. But I will warn you the hardest part of building a trail isnít the digging part itís the approval process. You better be prepared for waiting several years depending on land ownership before a trail will come to fruition.

Itís good you have already contacted Fish & Game. This trail would be near a Wildlife Management Area and they will likely have seasonal use issues. So you will need to identify what issues might surround the trail development and then be creative in your solutions.

The area you are looking to build in falls under the R2 area of impact. And R2ís budget hasnít been growing at a pace sufficient to bring on a bunch of new trails. David Gordon and his crew do a great job of maintaining what they have and adding on a few new trails like the new Around-the-Mountain trail. So you will need to think about how you will assist R2 in both the trail development and long term maintenance costs. SWIMBA really wanted the Around the Mountain trail so we kicked in $5,000 to help build it. Do you have some money to help with development and maintenance?

On the upside, the City of Boise is finishing up changes to the Foothills plan and rumor has it there will be an associated trail management plan. So your timing might be really good.

SWIMBA would be willing to talk to you about this proposal and pitch in to help you build it if it meets R2ís foothills plans and they would like our involvement. What we wonít do is step on David Gordonís toes or high mark.

For the price of a beer or a cup of coffee, I would be willing to sit down with you and discuss some of the information you are going to need before meeting with other organizations. You can get my e-mail address off the SWIMBA.org website. And I hope youíre a SWIMBA member!

Thanks,
    Mike Edwards

26er
    That looks like a great connection seems like getting the easements across private land will certainly be the most challenging aspect. Looks like most of the land for the connection is owned by J H Wise Sons who is a real estate developer. Have you approached the company about the connection?
    Live to ride!

The Family:
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Norco Aline
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail