mtbr member
    Apr 2010

trail 37, beaver creek, red ives area of the st joe

i rode trail 37 in the st joe country this past weekend. Don't waste your time. Theoretically it should make for an excellent loop, but the trails in that area, just are not that good on a mtn bike.

The trail sidehills up to the ridge top. takes roughly 8 miles to get there. the trail is not perpendicular to the hill side, but off camber. Then where the trails is in good shape, the trail crew that brushed the trail back, piled the debris in the trail. I won't be back with a bike. Still good to be in the mtns, but bummed with the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the trip report. Good to hear about the trails that dont work too. Have you ever ridden Trails 144 and 169 in the Pot Mountain Area north and west of Kelly Forks Work Center on the North Fork Clearwater River on the Clearwater NF. I havnt either, but perusing them on a map looks like good long ridgetop trails in the middle of nowhere. Would be interested to know if anyone has ridden them and has any info. sidehiller1

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I will have to get my maps out and look. I do know the trail that goes up kelly creek has about a 2 foot deep trench all the way from the horses. Most of my riding in there has been on stateline trail and off shoots of that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am addicted to the North Fork! I went rafting there a couple times this spring and hiked the singletrack trail up to Junction Mt (191) lookout- it's awesome and was in good shape a few weeks ago, no atv's, just east and south of kelly work center. 106 looked good at the junction, you could easily loop these. 617, Cave Creek trail down near Washington Creek Campground is too steep to climb, you would have to push for a couple miles (we hiked it). 144 from the the NF is also probably really steep and too hard to climb, but you could shuttle it from the Cold Springs Road. Maybe take 144 to 154 to the river to make it a shorter ride. I have a feeling Pot Mountain is more of a hike than a bike, but you should give'r and report back! 169 to Cold Springs Peak might be an ATV trail?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks you two for the replies. Appreciate the info. I recieved a book as a Christmas present called SMOKECHASER by Warren Yahr. He was stationed on some of the lookouts in the Bungalow area in the 1940's. After reading the book and looking at the maps, wanted to visit that area. I used to ski up on Hoodoo Pass when they plowed the road from Superior, MT to Kelly Forks for logging way back when. Looks like some interesting loop trails to ride from looking at topo maps and google earth. Probably wont be able to get over there until next summer. Want to spend a few days camping and biking over there though. Afraid, that loop trail you mentioned up to Junction mountain looks promising on a bike. Also the loops off Cold Springs road to Pot Mountain Ridge with the descents down to the river. Have either of you spent any time on the trail leading from the end of the road up to the headwaters of the Saint Joe River, or have any ideas on how rideable of a condition it is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the st joe river trail is extremely rooty

mtbr member
    May 2011
    tim208, thanks for the info in the river trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    the st joe river trail is extremely rooty
    Is this trail #48? From Spruce Tree to Heller Creek? Riders from Missoula love this trail for riding and swimming in the mid-summer. It is scheduled to be closed in the upcoming Forest Plan! Be sure to ride and enjoy it. Use it or lose it!
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I think it is 48.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking on a topo map from the My Topo company series it is shown as Trail 48 from Spruce Tree to Heller. Looks like a long river grade trail. Also appears to be a segment above Heller to the headwaters lakes potentially rideable at least on the map. Would love to hear any more info on these trails rideability. Appreciate the info you guys have provided so far. Is this area proposed wilderness in the upcoming Forest Plan? Was trying to come up with some options for mtn bike rides in that remote part of the state next summer for maybe a week. I will have to do some more planning on that.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    ummm....people don't really talk about that area. I will tell you this. Trying to do a loop is a big endeavor as one loop I wanted to do was 30 plus miles. A portion of that 30 would have been on FS road...which had 2-3 inches of gravel on it.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    sidehiller

There is some awesome potential for rides in the upper portions of the st joe. Unfortuantely most of the stuff i have found, is not that good to ride. There may be a trail here and a trail there that is good, but overall poor biking.

Now over in the clearwater there was some great rides out of hoodoo pass, and that is not that far from the joe. Also the lower portion of the st joe forest has some good riding. ie harvard, princeton, emida etc. (these are small towns.) There are some great trails there.