Don't worry, be happy!

Trail #2 Lochsa Downriver trail.... anyone been there?

Found this tonight. I think I've seen it on a topo map, but has anyone actually done it?
    ~f.

Trail 2: Lochsa Down River Trail; 16.9 miles; approx. 7 hours; begins at Hwy 12 and Split Creek Pack Bridge (MP 111.4) and ends at Hwy 12 at Sherman Creek (MP 122.5); trail was primary access to Lochsa Historical Ranger Station prior to completion of Hwy 12; traverses north face of Lochsa Canyon with good views of river and surrounding mountains; maintained annually by volunteers and is in good condition; located on steep rocky terrain; Trail is not recommended for inexperienced bike riders.

Don't worry, be happy!
    The rec ranger called me this morning. She's hiked it, knows folks who have biked it. The word is abut 30% hike-a-bike, and a lot of SE sun. Considering that is was 105 there yesterday, I'm not sure I'm up for this adventure. We are thinking we'll head up to the Lolo Motorway for hopefully some scenic views and a little bit cooler.

mtbr member
    This is a little late but someone might be interested. The downriver trail is pretty easy, some up and down but overall very little elevation gain. Pretty much smooth, well maintained st. There are tons of trails in that area and most are better than the down river trail. Fish Creek, Canyon Creek, Sherman Creek (part of the ICT), are all great trails. There are probably a dozen trails north of the highway between Lowell and Powell and all are open to mt. bikes. There would be some great riding south of the river too, but it is wilderness. I am heading up there for work tomorrow for five days and I have my bike with me, I will try to get some good pictures.

mtbr member
    I rode Canyon Creek, Tr. No. 107 yesterday. 20 miles out and back. It is a pretty cool and unique spot. It is quite the contrast to most of Idaho riding amongst huge cedar trees and 5 foot tall ferns. There was a WWII Japanese internment camp on the flat across the creek from the trailhead. There is an apple tree over there that produces some decent apples if'n yer hungry.

There are a few rocky spots but for the most part it is pretty easy.

The ferns and thimbleberries were a little out of control in some places, made for an exciting ride back down as I couldn't see the trail in some spots.

It was a pretty fun ride, I ate **** in a creek crossing on the way down and got skinned up a little and pretty soaked. It was after the sun had dipped behind the hill so I was pretty chilly by the time I got back to the truck.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Where is the trailhhead for that? I'm really intrigued as you are the first person who actually knows of riding in the area. Any more info would be great - it would be fantastic option to being the shuttle driver during hubby's boating season.

mtbr member
    That trailhead is just about 5 miles upriver from Lowell, just downstream from Apgar CG. There is a road that goes about 1/4 mile up Canyon Cr. and the trail starts there.

There is so much good riding in this area you could spend weeks up here riding everyday and ride a different trail every day. I am planning on riding Fish Cr. tomorrow, I will post some pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    subscribed. How about North Fork Clearwater, ever ridden up there?

Don't worry, be happy!

Trail #2 Lochsa Downriver trail.... anyone been there?

Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    subscribed. How about North Fork Clearwater, ever ridden up there?
    I used to ride Kelly Creek and the Stateline trail but both are closed to bikes now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    jhandy
    idaho is very diverse. Looks like a typical north idaho trail.
    thanks for the info.