Don't worry, be happy!

Trail #2 Lochsa Downriver trail.... anyone been there?

Found this tonight. I think I've seen it on a topo map, but has anyone actually done it?
    ~f.

Trail 2: Lochsa Down River Trail; 16.9 miles; approx. 7 hours; begins at Hwy 12 and Split Creek Pack Bridge (MP 111.4) and ends at Hwy 12 at Sherman Creek (MP 122.5); trail was primary access to Lochsa Historical Ranger Station prior to completion of Hwy 12; traverses north face of Lochsa Canyon with good views of river and surrounding mountains; maintained annually by volunteers and is in good condition; located on steep rocky terrain; Trail is not recommended for inexperienced bike riders.

Don't worry, be happy!
    The rec ranger called me this morning. She's hiked it, knows folks who have biked it. The word is abut 30% hike-a-bike, and a lot of SE sun. Considering that is was 105 there yesterday, I'm not sure I'm up for this adventure. We are thinking we'll head up to the Lolo Motorway for hopefully some scenic views and a little bit cooler.

mtbr member
    This is a little late but someone might be interested. The downriver trail is pretty easy, some up and down but overall very little elevation gain. Pretty much smooth, well maintained st. There are tons of trails in that area and most are better than the down river trail. Fish Creek, Canyon Creek, Sherman Creek (part of the ICT), are all great trails. There are probably a dozen trails north of the highway between Lowell and Powell and all are open to mt. bikes. There would be some great riding south of the river too, but it is wilderness. I am heading up there for work tomorrow for five days and I have my bike with me, I will try to get some good pictures.

mtbr member
    I rode Canyon Creek, Tr. No. 107 yesterday. 20 miles out and back. It is a pretty cool and unique spot. It is quite the contrast to most of Idaho riding amongst huge cedar trees and 5 foot tall ferns. There was a WWII Japanese internment camp on the flat across the creek from the trailhead. There is an apple tree over there that produces some decent apples if'n yer hungry.

There are a few rocky spots but for the most part it is pretty easy.

The ferns and thimbleberries were a little out of control in some places, made for an exciting ride back down as I couldn't see the trail in some spots.

It was a pretty fun ride, I ate **** in a creek crossing on the way down and got skinned up a little and pretty soaked. It was after the sun had dipped behind the hill so I was pretty chilly by the time I got back to the truck.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Where is the trailhhead for that? I'm really intrigued as you are the first person who actually knows of riding in the area. Any more info would be great - it would be fantastic option to being the shuttle driver during hubby's boating season.

mtbr member
    That trailhead is just about 5 miles upriver from Lowell, just downstream from Apgar CG. There is a road that goes about 1/4 mile up Canyon Cr. and the trail starts there.

There is so much good riding in this area you could spend weeks up here riding everyday and ride a different trail every day. I am planning on riding Fish Cr. tomorrow, I will post some pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    subscribed. How about North Fork Clearwater, ever ridden up there?

Don't worry, be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by afraid View Post
    subscribed. How about North Fork Clearwater, ever ridden up there?
    I used to ride Kelly Creek and the Stateline trail but both are closed to bikes now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    jhandy
    idaho is very diverse. Looks like a typical north idaho trail.
    thanks for the info.

Don't worry, be happy!
    **finally** going to check some of these out this weekend. All I have to do is be at the take out at the appointed time with the shuttle rig.

mtbr member
    Awesome, let us know your impressions. Carrie and I are doing some exploratory riding out by Clarkia, ID this weekend.

Don't worry, be happy!
    We'll be camping at Wilderness Gateway, hopefully Loop C if you guys plus the pee wee want to stop by. I'm hoping to get a ride in tomorrow afternoon and sunday AM. If I had some company it might fun to check out one of the other trails...

mtbr member
    I'd love to hear how both of your trips go. I live so close but have never ridden over there.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

Don't worry, be happy!

I spent some time with Topo software last night and yes indeedy all the above mentioned trails look great on a Topo map. Fish Creek and Sherman Creek are both accessible from Wilderness Gateway campground as in, across the road for Sherman Creek, and a mile or so down the road for Fish Creek.

Sent from my iPad - Stupid autocorrect!

mtbr member
    Clarkia is not really in this vicinity, but since you asked, it delivered. Really good ride, rad descent.

IMGP6586 by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

GPS for those interested.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Grams near | Times and Records | Strava

Don't worry, be happy!

My Lochsa adventures would definitely be deemed exploratory. I checked out Fish Creek and Canyon Creek trails.
    I have to get the photos off my phone so I will upload those later.

Both Fish Creek and Sherman Creek trails are easily accessible from the Wilderness Gateway campground, just as an FYI.

Being that I was with boaters, and had to shuttle them to mile 139, I got a very late start on Fish Creek. I didn't get going until after 2, which isn't ideal for a SW exposure in the afternoon on a hot day. The trail is suitable for biking, but it does climb pretty steadily high above the creek, where it is sandy and exposed for part of the time. A few little tech sections here and there, but mostly just sandy singletrack, with very high sides (old pack trail) in and occasional post holes.According the map, if you get farther than I did, it drops back to creek side after about three miles. It looks interesting enough that I would attempt it again, but with either an early start to get away from the heat or a much cooler day. The trail does look well used. I was disappointed to see Moto tracks in clear violation of the "closed to all motorized traffic" signage. (Pics coming later) The short version of this trip report is that I got too darn hot and retreated back to camp to go sit in the river.

Canyon Creek looked much more appealing as the map shows the trail hugging the creek in a narrow canyon. I was not disappointed. As the earlier poster described, this trail could really stand to be brushed out and shows hardly any use. In the places where it's not overgrown, it's classic Idaho singletrack. I had to stop to unwind vegetation off the rear cassette numerous times, and it was very slow going. This trail reminded a lot of the Secesh river portion of the Loon Lake trail,without the use. I had to meet my boaters with the rig at a predetermined time at the take out, so I had to turn around sooner than I would have liked. When I did get back to the car, I realized my (phone) watch had set itself to mountain time while our party had agreed to stay on Pacific time. So I was out an hour early. Oh well, hanging out on the beach at the takeout on the Lochsa in the middle of July has it's pleasures.

Sent from my iPad - Stupid autocorrect!

Don't worry, be happy!
    some photos of Fish Creek trail

well I guess not until I get linking to Flickr figured out.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Fish Creek trail:

PenSTEMon

Last edited by formica; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the trail info.

About sharing Flickr images; When your viewing the image, there is an arrow icon at the bottom right. When the small window pops up, click BBCode. Choose your dimension preference in the drop down and copy and paste the link.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Canyon Creek
    Funny I think I took photos in some of the same places as jhandy.

mtbr member
    Fish Creek is open to motorized use between 6/1 and 11/1 or something similar to that unless it changed since last year.
    It looks like you got most of the climbing out of the way, the trail goes back down to the creek and stays fairly close to it except for one spot where it switchbacks over a little saddle. Sherman Cr. looks like it would be ok, the trail is high above the creek for the most part and there aren't many technical spots.
    *Scarlet Gillia AKA Skyrocket, not penstemmon, unless you were trying to make a pun because of your bike stem, then I will let it slide because I love a good pun.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Maybe I read the sign wrong but I didn't see any dates on it. Honestly I don't mind motos in general - they do a lot of clearing and what not - but I do mind disrespecting closure rules.

As for the flower... I thought it was a kind of penstemon but I stand corrected.

I had a feeling I was almost over the crest on Fish Creek but I was too darn hot to care.

mtbr member
    Wow. Awesome beta. I'm going to have to get over there sometime to ride!

Anyone ridden any trails in the Selway River - Red River Hot Springs - Elk City area?
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

Don't worry, be happy!

Selway is closed to bikes between Paradise and the wilderness boundary above Selway Falls. Above Paradise, it's gavel grinding. It's the usual "closed/wilderness" bummer: the trail that goes upriver from Selways Falls looks amazing for bikes. You can ride the two miles from the falls to the wilderness boundary which is better than nothing I guess.
    Last edited by formica; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:08 AM.