Thread: Tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Tires

Got a new wheel set on the way and want to replace my tires. I ride almost exclusively in the Boise Front, military reserve, Hulls, 8th St, etc.

What is everyone riding on/what works best for this terrain? Is it worthwhile to run a wider tire up front for additional floatation and control in the loose sand?

Thanks for any insights.

mtbr member
    I think that it really comes down to your personal preference. I know many riders/racers that prefer a faster rolling tire such as a Kenda Small Block 8. I personally have been running Hutchinson Pythons and have had good luck with them. I am, however looking at other tires just to try out. In fact, I have been looking at the Bontragger XDX TLR lately, but I can't find them any place other than dealers/shops, nothing on line.

I know many people who also prefer to have a bit more meat on their wheels. For this, I have ridden and see a lot of Kenda Navagel's and Panaracer Fire XC Pro's in the footies.
    BoiseBoy

mtnjam
    look into some Maxxis Larsen TT's
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    I run a Geax Saguaro 2.2 TNT (front) and a Maxxis Monorail LUST 2.1 (rear) with stans. Seems to work great for around here. I'd also try a Maxxis Ignitor 2.3 (front) and a Maxxis Larsen TT (rear) (get the LUST versions). A lot of guys are also running Maxxis Crossmarks front and rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I really hate to say it but Ive been running specialized tires and they are actually pretty good. Captain in the rear and an eskar up front

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nevegals seem to be popular. I'm running Rampage and Prowler SL, but not so happy with the Prowler in the rear. I'd like to try a Saguaro.
    Idaho

mtnjam
    Schwalbe makes a bunch of good tires too. Try out the Knobby Nic.
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    Schwalbe makes a bunch of good tires too. Try out the Knobby Nic.
    I've got a pair of Knobby nics that I just took off. They were a bit to wide (2.4) for my Mavic rims. Really good tire otherwise. If anyone's interested in 'em (they're the UST version), send me a PM.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I got some new rubbers. Geax Lobo Loco TnTs. UST. Swole.

Ribbed for my pleasure. And her's.

Contoured for mutual satisfaction.

Receptacle tip for that white sticky stuff. Hate the green stuff. Hate it.

I don't mind bouncing on those rubbers. No leakage yet. Ho man.

I'm just sayin'
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    A thread dear to my heart. I love tires.

Rubbers, not so much.

I've had really, really good luck with the 2.4 WTB Mutanoraptors over the years riding the foothills. Light (575g), rolls fast, but grips amazingly well in the foothills. Don't let the "2.4" mislead you - these measure out like a high-volume 2.2. I've run them front, rear, up, down and sideways. Wish WTB would start making them in a "tubeless ready" version since I'm now exclusively tubeless. I have two basically new ones gathering dust.

The Hutchinson Python is a light, fast rolling tire too, but it's really a "rear only" tire - doesn't give any grip up front. It's also pretty high volume for a 2.0 tire.

Speaking of no grip, I hated the Small Block 8. No grip whatsoever. Per BoiseBoi, other things racers like include spandex and being total d!cks in the foothills. If a racer rides it or likes it, that's my big signal that it must suck. Like 29'ers. Speaking of suck.

Other tires with no grip whatsoever include the Bontrager Jones XR, the Kenda Karma, the Kenda Cortez and the Specialized Fast Trak LK. Not only does the Fast Trak grip worse than a road tire on ball bearings, but it's expensive and wears fast. Stay away - far away - from these tires.

The Nevegals are a bit overkill for the foothills. Heavier than most 2.1 tires and roll very slowly. Fire XC Pros used to be the king of foothills tires, but have been surpassed in recent years. Very low volume and slow rolling. There are better tires out there.

Speaking of low volume tires that are inexpensive but grip well and roll reasonably well, the IRC Mibros are a good choice. But, size up when you buy them. The 2.1 looked skinnier than a cyclocross tire.

Best high volume, large and meaty front tire is the Schwalbe Big Betty. Fantastic in every condition I've ever used it - slickrock, soft loam, loose over hardpack, hardpack, decomposed granite, sand, Twisted's mom's bed - everywhere. But, it's way overkill for the foothills, unless you plan on spending most of your time riding Devil's Slide.

If your new wheelset is tubeless - and I hope for you that it is - stay away from "tubeless" tires. Heavy and you have to run sealant anyway in Boise for the goatheads. I have discovered the "Tubeless ready" tires lately. Bontrager (TLR), Specialized (2Bliss), Geax and Hutchinson all offer these wonders of man-made technology. Basically, it's a regular tire casing with a beefier bead. You have to use sealant with them, but since you're going to do that anyway in Boise, it's a no-brainer. I recently bought a Specialized The Captain Control in a 2.2 version for my 5" travel bike and have been very impressed. Rolls fast, grips well, and has HUGE volume. Biggest 2.2 tire I've ever seen.

Back when I used to drink the 29'er koolaid and wear purple Nikes and live with a cult, I enjoyed the Maxxis Ignitor and the Panaracer Rampage. But, 29'ers are heavy, slow and stupid, and merely a marketing gimmick to make you think you need another bike, so you can ignore this paragraph.

So - here's my advice for great foothills tires - WTB Mutanoraptors (2.4) if you're using tubes, and the Specialized The Captain if you're going tubeless. Both can be run front or rear.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-05-2009 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm so very much obliged to all. Thanks for the advice, see you on the trail. I'll be the guy whose fallen over at a dead stop because I couldn't get my foot out of the clipless pedal.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig

Rubbers, not so much.

I've had really, really good luck with the 2.4 WTB Mutanoraptors over the years riding the foothills. Light (575g), rolls fast, but grips amazingly well in the foothills. Don't let the "2.4" mislead you - these measure out like a high-volume 2.2. I've run them front, rear, up, down and sideways. Wish WTB would start making them in a "tubeless ready" version since I'm now exclusively tubeless. I have two basically new ones gathering dust.

The Hutchinson Python is a light, fast rolling tire too, but it's really a "rear only" tire - doesn't give any grip up front. It's also pretty high volume for a 2.0 tire.

Speaking of no grip, I hated the Small Block 8. No grip whatsoever. Per BoiseBoi, other things racers like include spandex and being total d!cks in the foothills. If a racer rides it or likes it, that's my big signal that it must suck. Like 29'ers. Speaking of suck.

Other tires with no grip whatsoever include the Bontrager Jones XR, the Kenda Karma, the Kenda Cortez and the Specialized Fast Trak LK. Not only does the Fast Trak grip worse than a road tire on ball bearings, but it's expensive and wears fast. Stay away - far away - from these tires.

The Nevegals are a bit overkill for the foothills. Heavier than most 2.1 tires and roll very slowly. Fire XC Pros used to be the king of foothills tires, but have been surpassed in recent years. Very low volume and slow rolling. There are better tires out there.

Speaking of low volume tires that are inexpensive but grip well and roll reasonably well, the IRC Mibros are a good choice. But, size up when you buy them. The 2.1 looked skinnier than a cyclocross tire.

Best high volume, large and meaty front tire is the Schwalbe Big Betty. Fantastic in every condition I've ever used it - slickrock, soft loam, loose over hardpack, hardpack, decomposed granite, sand, Twisted's mom's bed - everywhere. But, it's way overkill for the foothills, unless you plan on spending most of your time riding Devil's Slide.

If your new wheelset is tubeless - and I hope for you that it is - stay away from "tubeless" tires. Heavy and you have to run sealant anyway in Boise for the goatheads. I have discovered the "Tubeless ready" tires lately. Bontrager (TLR), Specialized (2Bliss), Geax and Hutchinson all offer these wonders of man-made technology. Basically, it's a regular tire casing with a beefier bead. You have to use sealant with them, but since you're going to do that anyway in Boise, it's a no-brainer. I recently bought a Specialized The Captain Control in a 2.2 version for my 5" travel bike and have been very impressed. Rolls fast, grips well, and has HUGE volume. Biggest 2.2 tire I've ever seen.

Back when I used to drink the 29'er koolaid and wear purple Nikes and live with a cult, I enjoyed the Maxxis Ignitor and the Panaracer Rampage. But, 29'ers are heavy, slow and stupid, and merely a marketing gimmick to make you think you need another bike, so you can ignore this paragraph.

So - here's my advice for great foothills tires - WTB Mutanoraptors (2.4) if you're using tubes, and the Specialized The Captain if you're going tubeless. Both can be run front or rear.
    EP You got a lot to say about not very much, don't you? You're not one of those MTB Prancers, are you.

Richey Speedmax kevlars humped at 65 psi works just fine in our beloved footsies. Serious. Way serious.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    EP You got a lot to say about not very much, don't you? You're not one of those MTB Prancers, are you.
    If'n there's one thing to be serious about when it comes to mountain biking - and I mean dead, fricking serious - it's the meat. The shoes. The rubber.

You may have the nicest, shiniest, blingy-est, coolest, uber-est, look-at-me TurnerCanfieldYeti29'er 12" travel boingboing, but if you put sh!t tires on it, it's going to ride like a 20 year old Huffy.

Swole.

I'm just sayin.

You got something against Prancer? That's one bad@ss reindeer. "Something magical is about to happen."

Like Prancer stomping on your junk. That's an adventure the whole family can love.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMX:Our Shining Future

30r it's the new 29r

Really I think you owe TC an apology concerning his mother's bed. Traction is for weenies and those suffering from Singletrack Anxiety Disorder. Train on the ice dude. Skilz and one's ability are neato'er.
    Ronnie runs the Schwalbe Big Apple 29'r tires (or is it 700?) which in all seriousness is not the ideal single track tire but tons of shock absorption, fast, great handling and unexpectedly FUN FUN FUN. Hell of a dirt road tire just air em down for more traction. Summit Bike And Ski claims these suckers measure out at 30 inches. Gotta recommend em.

Rubbers, not so much.

Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    If'n there's one thing to be serious about when it comes to mountain biking - and I mean dead, fricking serious - it's the meat. The shoes. The rubber.

You may have the nicest, shiniest, blingy-est, coolest, uber-est, look-at-me TurnerCanfieldYeti29'er 12" travel boingboing, but if you put sh!t tires on it, it's going to ride like a 20 year old Huffy.

Swole.

I'm just sayin.

You got something against Prancer? That's one bad@ss reindeer. "Something magical is about to happen."

Like Prancer stomping on your junk. That's an adventure the whole family can love.
    Something magical is about to happen and it rhymes with Buster Hyman.

I've been running these bad boys on my Knolly for 5 years now. Perfect for the Military Preserve. Hittin the rocks n shiz. I'm so serious I got BO just thinking about it. Never had a flat, hooks up like a horny baboon and sells popcorn in the balcony. Video's on Yo Mama's Tube.

Ubba ubba.