mtbr member
    May 2012

Tire recomendations and Q's about our local trails

I'm just getting started riding the local trails like Military Reserve and Hull's Gulch etc. I'm getting the hang of how to climb these hills and although I can't get up them without a few breaks I'm getting better. I'm riding a HT Giant XTC 2 29er.

I'm still riding Tubes with Stan's in them. Next year I plan on going tubeless. I'm still on flat pedals but also plan on going to clipless pedals next year also.

I have noticed on some of the steeper dowhill descent's in the S's the tires slide a bit or washout at what I consider high speeds. I have Racing Ralphs 2.1 F&R but I'm not sure if the issue is too much tire pressure(35 psi)

Is there a better tire suited to our local conditions better than the RR's I'm surrently using or will these be fine once I lower the pressure and run tubeless?

I think what I really need is more HP or a better motor

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Right now all the trails are loose so even if you were riding a 3.5 it might still break loose a bit. After riding for longer and getting better bike control the washing out shouldn't be as much as an issue, it's most likely inexperience and bad lines. Asking for info on tires will give you a hundred different responses, best is to borrow as many as you can and ride the ones that you think feel the best.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'll agree for sure with the lack of experience being an issue. That and not really knowing the trails, obstacles come up pretty quick so at times my lines aren't the best.

Today at Hull's Gulch on the climb from the parking area it was really loose. What tires do you use?

mtbr member
    I slipped the other day on a gravel road by military reserve. Like smoking said, it's just loose and even truck tires will slide. That said, I have Schwalbe Rocket Ron on the front and Kenda Nevegal on the back of my 29er. The Kenda is super grippy so far, but it sounds like a tank on harder packed stuff and the roads. I like the setup though: a lot of traction and weight in the back vs. lighter and more agile to the front. I think it really boils down to what you prefer, where you ride, how often, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Tires

I am riding a 29er squishy and I really like the Schwalbe Hans Dampf running tubeless up front. I weigh about 180 with gear and can ride the HD at 22 LBS no problem, Running the Specialized Purgatory in back, probably go to Schwalbe Nobby Nic for my next rear tire, The Han Dampf is a little more work on the ups, but is very nice in the downs - at 22 lbs its like having another inch of travel up front.

mtbr member
    Just switched from nobby nic 2.25 front/racing ralph 2.25 to nobby nic 2.4 front/nobby nic 2.25 rear. Much better Boise summer traction. Also I weigh 170 and run tubless 25psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    I'm just getting started riding the local trails like Military Reserve and Hull's Gulch etc. I'm getting the hang of how to climb these hills and although I can't get up them without a few breaks I'm getting better. I'm riding a HT Giant XTC 2 29er.

I'm still riding Tubes with Stan's in them. Next year I plan on going tubeless. I'm still on flat pedals but also plan on going to clipless pedals next year also.

I have noticed on some of the steeper dowhill descent's in the S's the tires slide a bit or washout at what I consider high speeds. I have Racing Ralphs 2.1 F&R but I'm not sure if the issue is too much tire pressure(35 psi)

Is there a better tire suited to our local conditions better than the RR's I'm surrently using or will these be fine once I lower the pressure and run tubeless?

I think what I really need is more HP or a better motor
    I run a Specialized Captain up front and a Racing Ralph on my rear 29er Epic and I love them. I am a large rider and I only have 28-30lbs in my Racing Ralphs. You may want to experient with your tire pressure a bit as well.

During your next ride, when you feel like the tire is deflecting off of obstacles and/or you feel like you are washing out on corners, try giving your valve step a tap to release a pound or two an see what that does. You may find that changing tire pressue in any tire can make it feel like a completely different tire.

I agree with the other comments about bike handling and experience as well.

Just my little .02!
    BoiseBoy