mtbr member

Timber Wolf (not WTB)

About 2 weeks ago, the R2R Trail crew reported seeing 2 wolves while working on the trail at the intersection of Crestline and Sidewinder. I asked the R2R Ranger coordinator on whether this was a credible sighting and he confirmed that it was. I only PM'd those folks that I know that run/ride with their dogs since I didn't see the animals myself.
    At 730am this morning, while riding with Lua on Bucks, a lone wolf crossed in front of us about 30 yards away (heading towards the horse farm). How can I be positive it was a wolf?
    1. I see coyotes on the trail almost weekly so I know what they look like.
    2. This animal was easily over 100 lbs (it made Lua look small) and was grey and white in color.
    3. The ears were smaller (almost like a Malamute's ears) than a coyote's.
    4. At first, I thought it was a big German Shepherd then realized what it was.
    I'm not really concerned for myself as I don't think there has been a documented wolf killing a human in North America, ever... but I would be concerned if you use the foothills with your dog (specially small dogs or dogs that like to range far from their owners). Here are some tips:

• Keep your dog on a leash when you know you're in wolf country. Dogs that run loose and away from people may attract wolves. (To wolves, a pet dog is another canine invading their territory.)

• If you let your dog run loose, make sure you have it under control and have a leash to keep it close, in case you run into wolves.

• Make noise or place a bell on your dog's collar to alert wolves that humans are associated with the dog. Wolves are more likely to avoid contact with a dog when they are aware of humans nearby.

• Be aware of wolf sign. Wolves are territorial around dens and rendezvous sites and kills, so know how to recognize the signs associated with these areas. Read up on wolves.

• If you live near wolves, kennel your dogs or take them in at night. Wolves are most active during the evening and early morning. Don't leave food out that may attract wolves, bears or other unwanted critters.

Fish and Game says most of the wolf attacks on dogs have involved bear and lion hounds, which range far out from their owners, or livestock-guarding dogs.

Be smart and safe out there... Hopefully this was a once in a lifetime experience...
    Last edited by flipnidaho; 10-06-2006 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I received a similar email this morning, so I decided to go someone that should actually know, and here was his response:

We have not had any reports or confirmations in the foothills. We did have a confirmation near Bogus Basin this spring, but that would be the closest.

Steve

Steve Nadeau
    Statewide Large Carnivore Manager
    Idaho Department Fish and Game
    600 S. Walnut, Boise, ID 83707

dirt enthusiast
    well, i guess you can report back to steve that theres been more than one sighting of a wolf closer to home.

thanks gary for passing this info on. i wish that you'd gotten a pic of this awesome creature!
    Last edited by georgezilla; 10-06-2006 at 02:52 PM.
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

the new Gilbert Grape
    Cougars, timber wolves, and bear... oh my.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Don't forget bigass lizards, cute lil old gastropods, scary clowns, horny cats, even hornier hunters and really bad food.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

Canis Lupus

I have a few photos of Wolves seen around Salmon. For now a couple photos of their tracks...and an excuse to learn the new forum bells and whistles. Anyone else have Wolf photos?

Wagonhammer Trail System near North Fork, ID. We saw two chubby wolf pups about a mile before this shot was taken.
    Timber Wolf (not WTB)-28118_1362135065031_8236085_n.jpg

May Creek near Chief Joseph Pass, April 2012. Snow was drifting, we just missed seeing this guy. I am sure he saw us. My dog usually gets antsy when she smells wolves, she did not this time.
    Timber Wolf (not WTB)-534913_203663363081736_1934647113_n.jpg

A different kind of trail hazard, Wagonhammer Trails. This snake was stretched out and sunning, by the time I saw what it was, I had rolled right across the middle of it. Skidded in time to snap the photo.
    Timber Wolf (not WTB)-190364_1412664408233_6288186_n.jpg
    Last edited by chukt; 01-30-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: post not ready

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    I don't think there has been a documented wolf killing a human in North America, ever...
    If you want to restrict it to the continental US and non-captive wolves, then you can get away with "not in the last 100 years", but if you're going to say north america, then let's go with "last 2 years":

Fatal wolf attack unnerves Alaska village - US news - Life | NBC News

... and a more complete list:

Wolf attacks on humans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... alright, I'll stop being pedantic now.

mtbr member
    Wolves are now pretty common in Valley County- there's a pack that comes in from the east near Jughandle mountain, some near Eagle's Nest, and all the trails to the north. I saw a wolf prior to the 're-introduction' in this area and the FS guy just said "shhh, they've always been here"

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: Timber Wolf (not WTB)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar View Post
    Wolves are now pretty common in Valley County- there's a pack that comes in from the east near Jughandle mountain, some near Eagle's Nest, and all the trails to the north. I saw a wolf prior to the 're-introduction' in this area and the FS guy just said "shhh, they've always been here"
    Do the hunters here freak out about them "decimating" the elk population like the people up north?

A buddy and I rolled up to go snow camping a year ago up north and came across a wolf that had been ripped up laying dead where we wanted to start our hike. Definitely made the hair on our necks stand up and changed our plans.

I have seen lots of signs and heard them quite a bit up north and they are definitely around.

They don't bug me too much. The thing that scares me is that there are grizzlies around. I had have a morbid fear of bombing around a turn and going face to face with a big grizzly..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I'd be more wound up about dewshbags and their stupid boutique dogs than about wolves or other carnivores on the trail. Worrying about wildlife while mountain biking is wayhomo.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Member of The Yeti Tribe

Re: Timber Wolf (not WTB)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    I'd be more wound up about dewshbags and their stupid boutique dogs than about wolves or other carnivores on the trail. Worrying about wildlife while mountain biking is wayhomo.
    I am pretty happy with my trails back home. Not too much going on except for the animals. When I was riding down in norcal earlier this year, you better believe that one of us was packing when we rode. And it wasn't for the wildlife. Too many tweakers down in those California hills for me.

And I didn't worry about animals until I ran across a moose head on, then I almost ran over a black bear later that year..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Stop this Derailleur Madness!!.... De-Rail-er

See what the God of bikes has to say about it..

mtbr member

Mooo

Seems you should worry more about the Cows than Wolves...

"Another bogus issue is the danger that wolves pose to humans. During a 4 year period last decade, livestock killed 108 people in 4 states and this does not include people killed by vehicle and cattle interactions (CDC, 2009). During this same time period, wild wolves in the lower 48 states killed no one. In the last 80 years, two fatalities, one in Saskatchewan, and one in Alaska, may have been wolf-caused."

From...The wolf issue: What science suggests; the players, and our role.
    By Norman A. Bishop