mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Thorn resistent tires?

Hi, I have been biking in the foothills for the past year and have slime and liners in my tubes but get flats almost every third ride. Someone mentioned to me to use thorn resistent tires, any suggestions on what type of tire to use? And if I use the thorn resistant tires, do I also need to have the slime and liners in my tires? Thanks.

26er
    Go tubeless and run stans and you won't be getting flats for a long time.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stans

Aren't Stans the same thing as the liners you put in the tire?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ditto on the stans, 7 years running the stuff with only 6 flats since

mtbr member
    Two months after the 24Hours at the Old Pueblo I popped my tires off to find my front with 8 large cactus spines sticking in them (toothpick sized). Never knew, Stan's has saved me a lot of hassle!

No Stan's does not use liners.

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tubeless-Kits-C12.aspx

gringo-fied facsimiles
    Quote Originally Posted by chriswilson
    Hi, I have been biking in the foothills for the past year and have slime and liners in my tubes but get flats almost every third ride. Someone mentioned to me to use thorn resistent tires, any suggestions on what type of tire to use? And if I use the thorn resistant tires, do I also need to have the slime and liners in my tires? Thanks.
    Hey chriswilson, what trails do you ride that you get all these thorns?
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member

Absolutely, go tubeless with Stan's and you will never have to worry about flats.

FYI:
    Most of the foothills trails have few goat heads on them. Typically, it is the Greenbelt, sidewalks, and canals that have the majority of the goat heads!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stans

I mostly ride the greenbelt and the trails by tablerock.

Do you have to buy tubeless tires for the Stans? When you get a flat with the stans, do you just pop a regular tube in? And if so then do you always run a regular tube after that or do you buy another kit and redo it?

One other question, what is the best tire to use in the Boise foothills?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I mostly ride the greenbelt and the trails by tablerock.

Do you have to buy tubeless tires for the Stans? When you get a flat with the stans, do you just pop a regular tube in? And if so then do you always run a regular tube after that or do you buy another kit and redo it?

One other question, what is the best tire to use in the Boise foothills?

Thanks
    I have never converted a non-tubeless wheel into a tubeless set up, but Stan's does have kits for this.

You can typically use any non-tubeless tire with Stan's or choose a UST tire with / without Stan's.
    If you have a goat head just pull it out, spin the tire and add air if needed. If it does not take, you may add any tube into the tire until you can fix it later.

As far as the best tire for the foothils, the answer is as easy as answering blonde, brunette, or red head? We all have our preferences, but all will do the job.

P.S.
    If you have any interest, I have a few sets of wheels (including tubeless) that I may be parting ways with. If you like you can PM me for details.
    BoiseBoy