Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Thinking About Moving To Boise

I am coming to Boise this weekend to see the city. Figured I'd spend some time driving around checking things out and just wanted to see if I could get a little advice on what part of town is the best to live in for a mountain biker. Ideally I'd like to be able to ride out my door to the trails and also ride to the local micro brewery. Also, is there a good bike shop in town I should stop by? I've never been to Boise so any advice/comments on what I should see and do this weekend are greatly appreciated!

Hi!!!
    Word of caution....you may get a couple of responses in this thread that are akin to "don't move here!!!!" kind of stuff. Just a warning......

I don't live in Boise, but commute to downtown during the week from my lil' shithole out in Canyon County to the west so take everything I saw with a grain of salt.

The North End seems to be a hip and happening place. The two epicenters in the North End are Camel's Back park and Hyde Park on 13th street. There is a small bike shop there called "Hyde Park Cycle Sports". I've never been in there though. Couple of eateries in Hyde Park...Harry's, Parilla, Richard's, Taste, Lucky 13, Java, that Mex place. Camel's Back and some of the surrounding parking lots are starting points for rides in the Foothills especially for us out-of-towners.

I'm a big fan of Reed's out in Eagle. They carry Yeti, Transition, Raleigh, Diamond Back. Great staff.

Man I wish I never moved from Parkcenter....

mtbr member
    Thanks BelaySlave, I take it you are a climber too? So do you think these responses are the "don't move here because we don't want you here" type or the "don't move here because Boise isn't that great" type? I just want to perpare myself...

26er

move to tuscon instead

Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81
    Thanks BelaySlave, I take it you are a climber too? So do you think these responses are the "don't move here because we don't want you here" type or the "don't move here because Boise isn't that great" type? I just want to perpare myself...
    it is too cold here and we are getting full..traffic and the inversion are a lot worse than when I first moved here 6 years ago.

We would expect you to do some trailwork if you did move here..
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Hi!!!
    FORMER climber. Tried coming out of retirment last spring, but said "screw it". Just wasn't my thing anymore. The Black Cliffs are not that far outside of town....columnar basalt. Sport, trad, top rope. Nothing real long though. Can get brutally hot in the frickin' summer though.

I think you'll get responses from "Don't move here cuz it drives up the prices of homes and leads to more congestion on the roads" to "Don't move here cuz Boise ain't all that no matter what 'BIKE' magazine says about our trails cuz all the trails are 'paved' and 'sanitized' and there are no rocks."

Good luck!

mtbr member

The ironic thing is...

I think you'll get responses from "Don't move here cuz it drives up the prices of homes and leads to more congestion on the roads" to "Don't move here cuz Boise ain't all that no matter what 'BIKE' magazine says about our trails cuz all the trails are 'paved' and 'sanitized' and there are no rocks."
    The people that will advise you NOT to move here are those that did move here from somewhere else... Personally, I love the place and I moved here because of the amount of trail outside my front door but I am looking for some place else to spend the winter (maybe Tucson for a few months). In Boise, people are friendly, crime late is low and I can walk to work (however, this is all relative to the last place I lived in-Washington DC)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It's just another California Town!

sharing the love
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    it is too cold here and we are getting full..traffic and the inversion are a lot worse than when I first moved here 6 years ago.

We would expect you to do some trailwork if you did move here..
    It's not that cold here. Only wimps think it is cold. I'm from Michigan and this is nothing. The lack of snow in town is kind of a bummer, though. The heat is another story. 100+ degrees! Ouch! No trees to hide under (in the city of trees.....ha!)

The traffic is not bad. I think it's funny that people think it's bad here. It's only bad if you live off of Eagle Road or in Canyon County and have to drive to Boise to work. Too bad! If you don't want traffic, don't move where everyone else moves. My commute to work is fine.

Inversions suck! I'll give you that.

If you are into smooth trails, this is the place.
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]

Barneys Unite!

I moved here from Kansas in 97

and I absolutely love it. Much milder winters, much less humid summers.

I live in Southeast Boise and recommend that area - within riding distance of several trail systems, close to the Ram if you're into microbrews (I'll stick with Bud Lite myself), and the traffic ain't bad.

HTH

Look out!
    I am coming to Boise this weekend to see the city. Figured I'd spend some time driving around checking things out and just wanted to see if I could get a little advice on what part of town is the best to live in for a mountain biker. Ideally I'd like to be able to ride out my door to the trails and also ride to the local micro brewery. Also, is there a good bike shop in town I should stop by? I've never been to Boise so any advice/comments on what I should see and do this weekend are greatly appreciated!

Where to start. Where are you coming from? That perspective might affect all others. If you are coming from S.Cal then you may find the traffic and population not bad. If you are coming out of a small place in the midwest then you may feel the town is crowded and traffic horrendous. As for which part of town, then that will depend on your financial situation. The North End abuts to the foothills and is the entry point for tons of trails, however, expect to pay top dollar to get a house there. East Boise, is somewhat similar close to the foothills and pricey to boot. Southeast is a little more affordable but not as close to the trail heads. The Bench is central Boise, affordable housing but you must ride several miles to any trails. South and Southwest are the most affordable housing wise but farthest away from the foothills trails. There may be trails that go South into the desert but I am not really familiar with that part of town. As for Bike shops, in addition to the one mentioned above, there is George's Cycles, Idaho Mountain Touring, World Cycle, Kens Bicycle Warehouse, Bob's Bikes and maybe a few more. Google them to get more info. Good luck.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

If and When...

... you move to Boise, it will be very important that you assimilate as quickly as possible. I recommend going to your local sports retailler and plunking down some cash for a nice roof rack, even if you don't need one. This is very important. Don't forget the fairing. The faring should be covered with stickers. The accesories you choose depends on the size of your SUV. Try to get a ski/snowboard mount on top along with your bike trays. Get as many Bike trays as possible.

If your really serious about fitting in, go for the Roof Rack Trifecta. Nothing says "I will look *****in' at Lucky 13" more that a rack sporting a Kayak, Two bikes, and some skis. This will require a Big SUV. The bigger the better. And go for diesel while your at it.

Now Move to Meridian, water your Kentucky Blugrass, and vote republican. YEE HAW!!!
    You're just a genetic material transport vessel. Nothing more...nothing less."

sharing the love
    Quote Originally Posted by toiletsnake
    ... you move to Boise, it will be very important that you assimilate as quickly as possible. I recommend going to your local sports retailler and plunking down some cash for a nice roof rack, even if you don't need one. This is very important. Don't forget the fairing. The faring should be covered with stickers. The accesories you choose depends on the size of your SUV. Try to get a ski/snowboard mount on top along with your bike trays. Get as many Bike trays as possible.
    You couldn't have soundeed much more redneck...
    Last edited by zebdi; 03-14-2006 at 09:43 AM.
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]

aaarrrggghh!

Or.....

as close to home. Toiletsnake for mayor!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses...Boise sounds like an interesting place.

I would actually be moving from Phoenix, AZ. I moved down here 2 years ago from Flagstaff after getting out of school due to the fact that the jobs are all in Phoenix. I now have an opportunity to move to Boise and since I miss the mountains and Phoneix is basically becoming LA I'm thinking it wouldn't be that bad of a deal.

The pollution, traffic, and home prices are getting ridiculous here so I'm thinking about selling my 1.6 million dollar house, packing up my giant sticker covered SUV and moving to Boise so I can buy up some real estate asap! Just kidding about that part I'm too young and poor to buy a house so I'd be looking to rent an apartment or maybe a room in someone else's place. I don't own an SUV, I have a truck that I only drive when I have to and ideally I'd like to be able to ride almost everywhere I need to go. I am one of 6 people in the entire city of Phoenix who actually ride their bikes to work and people here including my coworkers think I am insane and maybe I am, I've almost been mowed down a number of times. I almost forgot to mention that I don't mind getting my hands dirty doing a little trail work!

Do most peole in the area ride hardtails since the trails are pretty smooth? Are all the trails smooth or just the popular ones used by hikers?

King of the Barneys

Well, I'll chime in. Lived here since 1989, and find it's a great hub for outdoor activities. An hour in almost any direction and you can be in forest, desert, on a river, and most the time you can get to fun places within half that time.

Regarding the riding, most of the foothills trails tend to be steep and smooth, with few technical challenges. If you're used to South Mtn, Mormon, National, et al, then except for the new Spudhucksters trail on Rock Island (very close in, btw), you'll be disappointed at how featureless the close-in trails tend to be.

However, we have some fun trails up the hill toward our ski hill, that I'm just beginning to discover, and I've ridden here for 12yrs.

As for places to live close to trails and micro-brews, they tend to be fairly spendy, or migrant shacks to be affordable. Mostly north-end or north east to put you into the foothills riding. There's at least half a dozen microbreweries, and some are even pretty good.

I live out SW, which means its a 20 min drive to the foothills trails, but I also have the desert out south so I can roadbike from my house and get away from civilization pretty quickly. SW is "under construction," and it's hard to find a decent shack for under $245k out here anymore.

For bike shops, I like Bob's, since they're a no-attitude Titus dealer & online seller, and have a good shop, Dirt Dart mobile bike shop (he comes to you and is a great guy), Ken's is near my house, Reeds is tiny but good people and high quality stuff, Georges reminds me of a Walgreens, almost on every corner. IMT is a big shop downtown with climbing and other sports stuff. Great folks at World Cycles downtown, Brian's Pro Bike shop, probably the best wrench in the state, but a bit of a drive to his place in Eagle, for me, anyway.

If I were you, I'd drive up to the Tablerock overlook to get a feel for the valley, and also visit a few bike shops to pick up on the vibe, ski at Bogus, talk to a few realtors (Bombin4x's wife, for one), and see if the groove here fits you.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Hi!!!
    http://www.ridgetorivers.org/

Go to "Panoramic Journey" and you can get an idea of what the trails look like.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Boise sounds like an interesting place. ...

I would actually be moving from Phoenix, AZ. ... Just kidding about that part I'm too young and poor to buy a house so I'd be looking to rent an apartment or maybe a room in someone else's place. I don't own an SUV, I have a truck that I only drive when I have to and ideally I'd like to be able to ride almost everywhere I need to go. I am one of 6 people in the entire city of Phoenix who actually ride their bikes to work and people here including my coworkers think I am insane and maybe I am, I've almost been mowed down a number of times. I almost forgot to mention that I don't mind getting my hands dirty doing a little trail work!

Do most peole in the area ride hardtails since the trails are pretty smooth? Are all the trails smooth or just the popular ones used by hikers?
    Boise will be nirvana compared to the insane real estate prices, traffic, congestion, and heat of Phoenix. I think rentals are fairly easy to come by and I believe I heard that there's a glut of rentals on the market. If you're looking to rent, don't want to spend a bunch of money, and want to be within riding distance of the trails, I'd recommend checking out the complex that used to be called "Central Park" but I think it has since changed its name. If you want to ride to work, I think you'll find it a tad easier here than Phoenix - CBro bike commutes a lot, and I do occasionally. Not sure what sort of work you'd be looking for, but as with every metro area, knowledgeable IT people are always in high demand. As for hardtails vs. full sus rigs, I'm not sure I could generalize as to who rides what. I see more full sus XC rigs than I used to, and fewer hardtails, but I think that's a national trend, not just a Boise thing. Good luck with the move.

mtbr member

what?

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Boise will be nirvana compared to the insane real estate prices, traffic, congestion, and heat of Phoenix. I think rentals are fairly easy to come by and I believe I heard that there's a glut of rentals on the market. If you're looking to rent, don't want to spend a bunch of money, and want to be within riding distance of the trails, I'd recommend checking out the complex that used to be called "Central Park" but I think it has since changed its name. If you want to ride to work, I think you'll find it a tad easier here than Phoenix - CBro bike commutes a lot, and I do occasionally. Not sure what sort of work you'd be looking for, but as with every metro area, knowledgeable IT people are always in high demand. As for hardtails vs. full sus rigs, I'm not sure I could generalize as to who rides what. I see more full sus XC rigs than I used to, and fewer hardtails, but I think that's a national trend, not just a Boise thing. Good luck with the move.
    Is this the real Earthpig?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    shock and awe......
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Is this the real Earthpig?
    No, this is the "kindler, gentler" Earthpig. Yeah, and I've got a Glenwood Bridge to sell to you.

Your comments above about the newcomers being the ones who yell the loudest about not wanting more people to move here struck home, as did toiletsnake's comments (oddly enough). Hey, it's not like what we say here is going to stem the flood of newcomers - if you can't beat the sh!t out of 'em, join 'em. The more riders and recreationalists we can get here, the more people there are to vote in favor of the next foothills levy and to build more trails!

Contagious Xian

Funny enough..

No, this is the "kindler, gentler" Earthpig. Yeah, and I've got a Glenwood Bridge to sell to you.

Your comments above about the newcomers being the ones who yell the loudest about not wanting more people to move here struck home, as did toiletsnake's comments (oddly enough). Hey, it's not like what we say here is going to stem the flood of newcomers - if you can't beat the sh!t out of 'em, join 'em. The more riders and recreationalists we can get here, the more people there are to vote in favor of the next foothills levy and to build more trails!
    And I think I told you this after we first met Geoff, I had been lurking the board since July 2004 and I remember reading someone named "Earthpig"'s posts thinking "I'll never tell this guy I am from California if we ever meet...." I chuckle now. Power to the people.

mtbr member

amen brutha...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toiletsnake

If your really serious about fitting in, go for the Roof Rack Trifecta. Nothing says "I will look *****in' at Lucky 13" more that a rack sporting a Kayak, Two bikes, and some skis. This will require a Big SUV. The bigger the better. And go for diesel while your at it.

Now Move to Meridian, water your Kentucky Blugrass, and vote republican. YEE HAW!!!
    Once again, a great post from the toiletsnake. I commend and encourage your sarcasm (instead of being offended by it, unlike some....) However, I might add that you forgot to mention that he HAS to join a local cycling club, shave his legs, get a heart rate monitor, wear a team jersey, and start riding in roving, pillaging packs in the foothills, while training for his next sport XC race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Earthpig...

Touche
    You're just a genetic material transport vessel. Nothing more...nothing less."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Good thread. The wife and I are hoping for her to get her transfer accepted within her architectural firm so that we can make the move from St. Louis. I'll be jumping into the job market as a Registered Dietitian. This July we are making a trip to Boise to visit and make sure it's what we really want. We're btinging the road bikes.
    Any thoughts on things we should see, both natural and cultural? Good food? We aren't big on churches or amusement parks.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast