mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There is an upside to all this precipitation....

Don't know how many folks that frequent this board are boaters (kayak/raft/cataraft). I've been looking at the Idaho snowpack and stream flows this week and it looks like we will have the best boating season since 1997.

From all the skier/boarder posts this winter it would appear that most of you are active with at least two of Idaho's best (nonmotorized) outdoor activities.......but may not be aware that Idaho has the best whitewater in the lower 48 states. It's kinda like living in So Cal two blocks from the ocean and not surfing.......at least that's how a good friend phrased it to me when I started boating in the late 80's.

Just a thought.......

This is first photo I've tried to download.....hope it works. The photo is Cramer Creek rapid on the Salmon......Summer solstice 05.....that's my Maravia WW1.

FYI.....Irishbuddha was a 13 year MFS guide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Markv; 03-31-2006 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mark,

awesome analogy. Let's see, I'm now missing out on snowboarding and Kayaking.
    It's the extra money thing, really....... but anyway, thanks for posting the photo!

Don't worry, be happy!
    yep, boating season is just about upon us. Me, I'm strictly a fairweather class three tube lounger, but my husband boats class 5 and has two cats and a raft. My big challenge is to find trails to ride while the guys boat, and I help with the shuttle. It never works out very well though. For example, the best lochsa weekends seems to be 48 hours of rain. I look at the bright side mostly - while he's off boating with the guys, I have lots of fun riding with my friends, and get to watch lots of chick flicks.

Our boating territory pretty much is Salmon tributairies and everything N. of there. He's already got his pre-season MF permit.

I'd be a better shuttle driver if I didn't suck so bad at backing the trailer.

Formica

pics are hubby on the small cat, and son onthe 14" cat, in Lochsa Falls
    Last edited by formica; 04-01-2006 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Formica.....most of the boating I do is south of you.

I've run several sections of the N. Fork of the Clearwater, but the majority of my boating is on the Salmon, Payette, Boise, Bruneau, and the Owyhee rivers.

Bruneau and Owyhee snow packs are 140% of normal...........

Nice shots of your husband and son running Lochsa Falls!

Here's a couple more photos from last years mid June MFS trip.....the photographer is Peg Hovlovick......a very good kayaker.

Don't worry, be happy!
    my hubby gets down to the owyhee every few years.

It's been fun being a boating family, at least once I decided to trust my hubby to teach them right.

Best moment as a mom a few years ago, my hubby and son were up on the Yaak and they flipped in some class five thing, they both came up under the raft. As the tale was told to me, the conversation went something like this... "how's this for father son bonding, dad?".

here' s some of my favorite OLD pics -
    lower salmon canyon

Clark Fork, Montana

here's me, confluence of Salmon and snake

Hi!!!
    Dumb question of the morning ---

Do you guys know any boaters/kayakers that DON'T KNOW how to swim?

Kayaking is something I've always wanted to do since I was at BSU, but I just don't know how to swim. As much as I'd love to do Class V stuff, I think I would be happy with just launching a touring kayak at Discover Park and paddling around for a couple of hours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My daughter started boating with me at 5 1/2 yo....

On the Cabarton stretch of the North Fork Payette......she is now learning to kayak.

Love the Lower Salmon for kids trips.......best river camping in Idaho and the kids can swim most of the river/w frequent stops to rock jump.

Belayslave........get the biggest life jacket you can comfortably wear.....and stick to Class III or less. When I was a commercial guide I would occasionally take guests down the river that couldn't swim......but not on Class IV rapids.

Don't worry, be happy!
    adult swim lessons. Don't be embarassed about it, I did that at age 23

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What ever floats your boat

I totally agree with Mark that if you live in Idaho you should take advantage of white water or other floating options. When it is too cold to bike, backcountry skiing is usually the option. In the shoulder seasons and summer when it is too wet or too hot to bike, it's time to boat.

Last year, because of the abundance of spring water in Utah we had a great time running the Yampa at high water. Warm Springs rapid was hoot. While everyone was stressing over the run and scouting the rapid, I tied Selway Sal on the front of a friends boat. It was her last float before she was past on to the boys at Barbie Camp.

The wife and I froze our buns off in Warm Springs. This is a picture after the rapid and is how I like to boat - wife at the oars and me enjoying a PBR -personal bottle of red.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Few more photos....

Wanted to post a sequence of photos taken of one of the boats in our MFS group run at Cramer Creek in an oar boat (not as much power generated as a paddle boat).....also included is a shot of my nephew in his kayak.

You would think I just learned how to post photos.......