Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Teton area mags...Granite Hot Springs loops?

I explored some incredible little bits of trail there yesterday (shoal creek/falls?) curious if any of you have done any 'significant' rides loops there (2-4 hrs?) . There is WAY more down there that isn't in wilderness than I thought!

Cool area.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

dblblack
    Apr 2012

Shoal Creek Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I explored some incredible little bits of trail there yesterday (shoal creek/falls?) curious if any of you have done any 'significant' rides loops there (2-4 hrs?) . There is WAY more down there that isn't in wilderness than I thought!

Cool area.
    So, I'm not a "Teton area mag", I'm from the Boise. BUT I grew up in the Hoback and know this area well. I did a ride with my son-in-law from the Shoal Creek Trail head just below the Kozy Campground on the Hoback River last fall. I compiled a detailed report with video and GPS of my Shoal Creek Mountain Bike Ride. Bottom-line. It's a great primitive type trail ride! This was an out-and-back ride of 24 miles total. Took us 6 hours, but we were taking our time and exploring. I think good/fit riders could do it in the 4 hour range.
    One additional observation: The ride from the trail head in Granite Creek MAY take you through Wilderness real estate, so that would be off limits. But this ride that I took goes right to the wilderness boundary, which is a mile or two below the falls and then we turned around.
    If anyone wants to ride it in late Aug / early Sep, just PM me. I'd definitely do it again!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Hey, that video was perfect! I rode up and down the lower section today, and want to link it with the little hike-bike-singletrack that goes from Granite hot springs (well, close to it) and meets up with FST 3122. Hopefully then down Jack Pine Creek, then to West shoal, and then to Shoal.
    That entry from the trailhead and up lower shoal was kinda tricky to find, but then it was pretty excellent trail!

This trail, as opposed to a lot on Teton Pass, is EXACTLY what I refer to in my sig....

And then we eat them."

dblblack
    Apr 2012
    Glad that the video was useful. Your Jack Pine to West Shoal ride sounds like it would be cool, but i think the trail up/down West Shoal gets pretty faint. As I study the topos and read about the trail, I think the option (not sure on the number) that goes over Deer Ridge to Shoal Falls may actually drop you onto the Shoal Creek trail below the Wilderness border. (It looks to me like the boundary stays north of the trail). Anyway, I think that trail would be more defined and then of course once you hit Shoal Creek you are "home free".

either way, i look forward to hearing about your efforts in linking Granite with Shoal.

And your cow/trail reference brought a smile to my face.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Certainly will keep you updated, I plan on doing this ride ASAP, certainly this fall. When are you back in these parts?
    I also invite you to come check out some stellar singletrack in Teton Valley, I think you would approve, to say the least.

Oh, and I want to do that Wyoming Peak ride in Sept....

And then we eat them."