Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wandervans

SWIMBA Trailwork: Willow Lane Trailwork on Sunday the 9th at 10am

Hello All, I wanted to let everyone know that we will be digging dirt out at the jumps at Willow Lane this coming Sunday the 9th. We will be meeting at 10am out there and hope to get a lot of good work done. The Willow Lane Dirt Jump park is located in the Willow Lane sports complex off of State St.

Bring: Some gloves, a shovel, lunch, water, and your bike too.

Thanks,
    Chris
    SWIMBA Pres.
    Live to ride!
    15 Cannondale Jekyll Team
    15 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Contagious Xian
    Earthpig's Pentagram Drawing Class is scheduled that time and day. Woulda loved to contribute my dirt moving skillz but count me (and probably CBro The Unholy) out.

aaarrrggghh!
    Give the Lord a rest and move some dirt. Anyhow, we'll be out there most of the day, I'm sure God will understand. Your supposed to be Believers on Mountain Bikes. Not Believers who ride Mountain bikes on the sh!t everyone else has built.

Contagious Xian
    Ian, I had to chuckle a little at that one. Any other day and I will do my best to be there. I've got many commitments in my life where other people are counting on me, and Sunday morning (although very convenient for many) just won't work for me. I would love to contribute and get to know you guys out there over some blood sweat, digging, and possibly tears. I've emailed you a few times about my interest in involvement with the mtb community so you must know I am not bs'ing.

I'm sure you can understand

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    Give the Lord a rest and move some dirt. Anyhow, we'll be out there most of the day, I'm sure God will understand. Your supposed to be Believers on Mountain Bikes. Not Believers who ride Mountain bikes on the sh!t everyone else has built.
    Thanks for telling me what I'm supposed to be. Finally, some instruction after all these years. You should have a radio call-in program or write a book.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    We will be meeting at 10am out there...
    C'mon smelly, 10 AM? Sh!t, half the day is nearly over by 10 AM. Why the long wait? What happen to mandatory 8 AM meeting times? You're not thinking people might want to sleep in a little on a Sunday, perhaps have some family time, are ya? God forbid.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Hey, I'll get my ass down there and contribute my fair share if some people will do it Saturday.
    I have community service for building a jump off of Amity Elementary School
    It was so damn cool that it was worth the trouble I got.
    Saturday will work for me though, so if anyone would be willing to do it then, I'll show.

And God Damnit, don't use the Lord's name in vain. Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you people???

I'm able to help out any saturday for 3 weeks, and then both saturday and sunday from there on out.

Contagious Xian

Is study hall over yet?

So it is true - dirt jumping does lead to a life of crime.

aaarrrggghh!
    Down boy, down!

King of the Barneys
    Down boy, down!
    Sorry, that never works when my wife says it either...
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

King of the Barneys
    We're all so accomodating. Guess that's why we're so loved.

Has it struck anyone as strange that we're talking about dirt jumping on a mountain-bike board? Isn't that, like, dood, so off-topic? Why not skateboarding, body piercing, & aerosol huffing, too?

I'm hosting a slouching & mumbling seminar at Hot Topic tonight around 7 for those doods who can't seem to get their pants low enough to be cool. Bring safety pins, ok?

CDB

aaarrrggghh!
    Dirt jumping is another form of mountain biking. In fact, most of the folks who are into working on Willow are the same ones that brought you the Rock Island Trail. Change is in the wind my friend, we will make this town a fun place for all cyclists, not just the XC crowd. The Boise timewarp can distort such truths, but we have to work around them and we shall overcome.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    The Boise timewarp can distort such truths, but we have to work around them and we shall overcome.
    Stickin it to the man are yah?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Barneys Unite!
    Now THAT'S funny.

King of the Barneys
    Dirt jumping is another form of mountain biking. In fact, most of the folks who are into working on Willow are the same ones that brought you the Rock Island Trail. Change is in the wind my friend, we will make this town a fun place for all cyclists, not just the XC crowd. The Boise timewarp can distort such truths, but we have to work around them and we shall overcome.
    OK, I have to admit, I usually like change.... like when I reach into my pocket, get a little thrill and find some change.

I like the "my friend" part too, since we met at Reeds one day. You even gave me some advice. And it wasn't just to go screw myself, either.

The timewarp happens to serve me well raising teenagers here. Your turn's probably coming someday. Makes a backwater type place kind of attractive when you want to protect kids.

I hope you "overcome" and can turn Boise into Whistler Park. I haven't been to Whistler in a long, long time, and miss it. Hey, go for it. I probably won't be able to ride most of what you build, but I'll enjoy watching Bx, Daryl and others rock it on over...

CDB

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    OK, I have to admit, I usually like change.... like when I reach into my pocket, get a little thrill and find some change.

I like the "my friend" part too, since we met at Reeds one day. You even gave me some advice. And it wasn't just to go screw myself, either.

The timewarp happens to serve me well raising teenagers here. Your turn's probably coming someday. Makes a backwater type place kind of attractive when you want to protect kids.

I hope you "overcome" and can turn Boise into Whistler Park. I haven't been to Whistler in a long, long time, and miss it. Hey, go for it. I probably won't be able to ride most of what you build, but I'll enjoy watching Bx, Daryl and others rock it on over...

CDB
    I don't get it. Are you protecting you kids against heathen freeriders? Or from thugs from Caldwell and Nampa?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'll be there. Even if it's pouring rain I'll still be there to agree with everybody else that it's pouring rain and to go home; or, to work in the rain.

Now do we have a commitment on a piece of motorized equipment to help with this work?

aaarrrggghh!
    We have a piece of equipment coming in on Sunday. It doesn't matter if it rains. We are mostly working the dirt into the places its going to be before the final shaping. We need your help. Willow is a great time for riders of all ages and we support jumps both big and small.

And for the record, I'm not interested in turning anything into Whistler, its fine right where it is. I just want to have some good, challenging, and technical bike riding right here in the valley. That way I don't have to drive so far to enjoy that style of riding, which I believe is good for everyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have to work sunday. No rest for the wicked. Ill come before i start, atleast ill try

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I don't get it. Are you protecting you kids against heathen freeriders? Or from thugs from Caldwell and Nampa?
    BOTH!

And Canyon County's nothing compared to the armpits I lived in as a kid, such as Oakland or east L.A. Makes Boise feel like Disneyland... although Canyon County's quickly catching up to those wonderful spots. Might even be enough to get me to start carrying again... (a frame pump, that is...)

CDB

aaarrrggghh!
    Yeah, wanna pick up a shovel and help or are you too busy talkin sh!t over the internet with your big internuts.

Contagious Xian
    I am still laughing about the "stickin it to the man, are ya?" post. Even my wife laughed.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Yeah, wanna pick up a shovel and help or are you too busy talkin sh!t over the internet with your big internuts.
    The serious reply:
    Actually I'd rather pick up a shovel and help. Often times have regrets about overcommiting my life to other things but still feel lucky to be able to squeeze in what saddle time I can. Like several of us on the board the timing of the work sessions has not worked out. Regardless I still do adhoc trail maintenance whenever I can (I spend enough time on the local trails after all) and I don't go around thumping my chest about it or belonging to some self righteous organization like SWIMBA to groupthink it.

The Twisted reply:
    As for the big internuts it's a regretable medical condition that comes with grey hair.

As for the talking sh!t, sonny, the first trail I built used the hood of a Chevy to huck from. We were riding sticksh!t Stingrays with sissybars and it was 1971. As for building more adult trails I was digging waterbreaks and pounding riprap on the east side of the Sierras before you were swimming around in your fathers balls.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    BOTH!

And Canyon County's nothing compared to the armpits I lived in as a kid, such as Oakland or east L.A. Makes Boise feel like Disneyland... although Canyon County's quickly catching up to those wonderful spots. Might even be enough to get me to start carrying again... (a frame pump, that is...)

CDB
    What about goddless communism?

What about liberal humansim?

What about Yemani terrorists with forged passports and rudimentary flight training?

What about white-suburban middle-american gated-community-living gun-toting Marilyn Manson-quoting bowling class-cutting high school punks?

aaarrrggghh!
    I'm sure, since I'm like twelve? Uphill in the snow both ways huh? SWIMBA represents local and nonlocal riding. Whether you like it or not they are going to be heard alot more than you on this message board or the odd waterbar you help fix on your own. No one is thumping chests, we are only encouraging people to come out and help with a little friendly harassment. Hopefully that's how you see.

As for time. Its amazing how much time we put into this message board instead of other things. If you doing it at work, I'm glad you don't work for me. Talk about nonproductive employees.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Wow, what the hell was up with all the hate up there? Tides are a changin'. There is a major shift going on in the Mountain Biking world, whether or not our pedantic old XC riders see it or not. Notice that every shop in town caries at several DH bikes, and many more that are at least somewhat freeride inclined.
    The Specialized Enduro is a fine example of the way things are going. Several years ago, it was a 4inch travel bike with XC wheels, and weak ass components. Now it's practically a downhill bike, yet there are still several more downhill inclined bikes above it.
    Five years ago, 6 inches of rear wheel travel was a downhill bike. Now with Giant's Reign, it's barely more than XC.
    Freeriding is where new young kids will be wanting to start. How many kids see a picture of a cross country racer and go "Whoa, that's so cool, I want a bike now!" Not many.
    But when they see a 70foot gap, they're a bit more inclined...

But really, we're debating petty differences, when we should be uniting. We all wide bikes, and a lot for that matter.
    And by the way, I'm 16, but I'm sure I'm a more knowledgable than a lot of you. Before you go off and make a bunch of stupid close-minded comments, think who you are speaking to. For one thing, Ian may very well be older than you. And he's sure a whole hell of a lot cooler than you. This is directed to that 777 guy in the case that no one used logical reasoning to guess that one...

Barneys Unite!

Why the F . . .

do I need to embrace freeride/downhill, when I prefer to ride XC? I've never said a word against freeride/downhill riders, but I sure see you folks flinging a lot of anti XC rhetoric. Why is it that any time ther is mention of "freeride" type trial work, you guys get all self-righteous and huffy?

I'm 53, so yeah, I'm an old fart dinosaur. I'll probably never be able to ride as well as Ian or some of you other freeride guys, but Jeez, what a bunch of whiners!

If you want move to Whistler, adios!

Must be the weather - I'm cranky today.

Hoops - Big and Small

Hospital stays are not FREE

[QUOTE=DelTaco]Freeriding is where new young kids will be wanting to start. How many kids see a picture of a cross country racer and go "Whoa, that's so cool, I want a bike now!" Not many.
    But when they see a 70foot gap, they're a bit more inclined...QUOTE]

Every time you huck your bike your living on borrowed time. As your passion drives you to go bigger and bigger eventually you will suffer some sort of major crash.

Slopestylist are looking to standardize their sport to help minimize hospital visits.

Freeriding is expensive and dangerous, if you chose or have the freedom to live your life that way, by all means Go Big.

Rant Out

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    [QUOTE=Crash_Burn]
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Freeriding is where new young kids will be wanting to start. How many kids see a picture of a cross country racer and go "Whoa, that's so cool, I want a bike now!" Not many.
    But when they see a 70foot gap, they're a bit more inclined...QUOTE]

Every time you huck your bike your living on borrowed time. As your passion drives you to go bigger and bigger eventually you will suffer some sort of major crash.

Slopestylist are looking to standardize their sport to help minimize hospital visits.

Freeriding is expensive and dangerous, if you chose or have the freedom to live your life that way, by all means Go Big.

Rant Out
    go big, brutha
    http://media.putfile.com/matwtf

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    What about goddless communism?

What about liberal humansim?

What about Yemani terrorists with forged passports and rudimentary flight training?

What about white-suburban middle-american gated-community-living gun-toting Marilyn Manson-quoting bowling class-cutting high school punks?

Yes? What about them? Please do go on... let me add to your list of rhetorical questions: what about constipation? what about lite beer? Sitcoms on TV? Or any mass produced American beer for that matter? what about ugly waitresses? Snooty clerks? Redumbant bikes? Lefties trying to pervert our culture? what about the ACLU? What about Shimano? Tektro brakes? Pacific "bicycles?" No-bike wilderness designations? There's a lot wrong with the world, but thankfully, most of it's not my problem.

I just like living here. I'm here by choice. Freedom of choice, that's me, my man....

What about "freeride?" Is there anything free about riding a $4,000 bike off drops that can land you in a $40,000 hospital bill? Whose callin that free?

CDB

Hoops - Big and Small
    I love that vid - never gets old, It reminds me of the TDF Peloton gap, just no roadies involved.

At the next SWIMBA meeting maybe the huck kids can table putting a foam pit at the Red Cliffs so they can perfect their air time.

King of the Barneys
    Great video. Reminds me of my own great crash of 9/9/2000, where it wasn't as spectacular, but it busted all my ribs on the left side in 2 places apiece, tore my shoulder up and utterly shattered my collarbone.

Slowed me down considerably. Old blind grandmas on walkers pass me by on the descents these days (not that there's anything wrong with that).

CDB

Hoops - Big and Small
    Sorry to hear about your crash, kinda of makes you appreciate just making it back from a ride.

Care to share the insurance side of the story?

King of the Barneys
    Well, there is no insurance side of things. It was simple operator error, somehow. Not OTB, but a slam to my left side. Dr said the impact was comparable to falling off a 3 story building onto my left side. Still hurts to think about.

I had an expensive assistant that I kept on the payroll at my office, while I was able to go to work one day a week for a month or two, got behind on bills, almost filed BK, found somebody to take over my expensive rent, moved my office to the ghetto, cut my assistant loose to pursue a real estate career, (she's doing great, btw), slowly rebuilt the finances, slept in a recliner for 5 months, and slowly pulled it all back together. AND eventually got back on the bike that next spring.

http://tinyurl.com/eldee

I used to love doing dips and push ups and gymnastic type things. Lost those muscles. Got some of the push ups back, but just now trying to stress my collar bone with dips.

But, I have a garage full of mostly beater bikes, rigid SS, hardtail, the Rev Titus, the Happy Roadie, the date night tandem, and so long as I remember what I went through, I rarely crash at all anymore. Too danged careful. Last time I tried something funny, I used a spotter. That's where B4x spotted me down the rock at Bob's. Not hard at all with a big galoot standing by to catch you if you blow it.

CDB

mtbr member
    Wow, i guess thats why it's called the passion board! though it makes for good reading , i really hate to see different riding styles going at one an other. I know that Ivan and willy have to taken some heat from some riders in the valley who can't or don't subscribe to the same school of riding, so i don't blame them for feeling a bit frustrated. but come on man, we are a minority out there on the trails. i have been riding long enough to see many changes in the "front" and all of them have ( with the exception of closing the nature trail) have improved the scene in my humble opinion. We as mt. bike riders are a distant 3rd to runners and equestrians in the minds of the general public and public policy makers. We sould be supportive of all types of riding and riders. I say live and let live and love the one your with.
    One Love!
    Nip it in the Bud!

aaarrrggghh!
    Crash_Burn - Ironically, this summer I witnessed you riding on some borrowed time on a road bike. Yeah, that's right, on a road bike. I have to admit, it was the single coolest road bike riding I've ever witnessed. I've never seen anyone rip it down Bogus Basin Road so fast since I've lived here. All I could think was, holy crap that dude is flying. You lost me in my truck after about 4 turns and then you were gone. My point is that it doesn't matter what your riding or how your riding, if your pushing it a little that day could be your unlucky day. Most people don't just senselessly huck themselves off cliff or jump gaps without considering the consequences of their actions. Everytime you ride the rock on Hulls its a calculated risk that most of us feel pretty confident in completing successfully or we wouldn't try it in the first place. Many of "us" are just at a different level technically. Its really not an us vs. them, simply different levels of comfort. Personally, about 90% of my riding is XC. I just choose to do it on a heavier bike and look forward to the descent a little more than the uphill. I ride the uphill for fitness and I like to earn my way back down. Many so-called freeriders are doing it just the same. Ride up, come back down.

So please don't get your panties in a wad when some harassment comes in the direction of those who aren't helping out with trailwork. Its not an us versus them, freeride vs. xc, or anything else for that matter. We just want some assistance to help make Boise more well rounded from a cycling standpoint. The "freeriders" aren't blowing their horns or pounding their chests, their simply picking up the shovel and trying to help out our local seen.

Contagious Xian

Deep thoughts by Big Galoot

Whoever said Barney Fife was a dumb bunny was wrong - way to go Deputy. I am a mediocre rider (at best) of many styles, a master of none, enjoying XC, techgnar, DH, and the greenbelt on occasion. I do not huck more than 5 footers but respect the efforts of the folks who can like the S'Hucksters and younger crowds like D'Taco. I envy the climbing fortitude of the likes of EP, Flip, and CBro on that vintage garage-sale-of-a-bike Bridgestone SS. I can't DJ worth a crap but would love to learn. I like to session things with Daryl and CBro on the Reverend Father Titus 'Blade.

So yes, One Love, I agree wholeheartedly. Now that you've got the warm fuzzies, get off yer azz and go ride this great state.

Over & Out
    (this may be my last post for some time if y'all are lucky enuff)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    snipsnipsnip
    I'll go on record as saying I think you guys (Ian and Brad) have done more for the Boise mountain biking scene (intentional or not) than any organization or technology or service in town. My rants here probably don't get that across and that's just tough sh!t. You guys are voices in the wilderness.

Hoops - Big and Small
    I had a wake up call last summer that still haunts me to this day - coming down Bogus Basin road about three miles from the top I decided it was time to pass a SUV, I put the hammer down and head into the left hand turn peddling my a$$ off. I get a peddle strike my rear tire lifts off the ground, if I crash the car behind me could roll over me like I'am a speed bump, a cold adrenalin rush comes over my body, no time to think here comes the next turn.

I felt bad afterward because it's O.K. to endanger myself but dragging other people into my misery would not have been cool.

The ironic thing is my road bike is in pieces in a box (disassembled for rebuilding), I'am needing to find some inner peace and passion to build it up again, so I can once again fly down Bogus.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    No Frotteurism during the Group Hug.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    No Frotteurism during the Group Hug.
    That's not me, that's my pit bull.

King of the Barneys

So please don't get your panties in a wad when some harassment comes in the direction of those who aren't helping out with trailwork. Its not an us versus them, freeride vs. xc, or anything else for that matter. We just want some assistance to help make Boise more well rounded from a cycling standpoint. The "freeriders" aren't blowing their horns or pounding their chests, their simply picking up the shovel and trying to help out our local seen.

Nothing to argue about there.... where's the fun in that? I happen to enjoy the challenge and dangers of freewriting now and then. Live dangerous!

CDB

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    We just want some assistance to help make Boise more well rounded from a cycling standpoint. The "freeriders" aren't blowing their horns or pounding their chests, their simply picking up the shovel and trying to help out our local seen.
    OK, I'll preface this again with the statement that this is NOT intended to flame, but I do have a valid question. I have no intention of ever riding the "dirt jumps" (or whatever you call them) at Willow Lane, nor will I ever be riding any of the designated "freeride" trails/obstacles that have been or will be built in the foothills or up near Bogus. That said, why should I be responsible to give up my limited free time to work on something I'm never going to ride? I do my fair share of trail work each year, but I'd rather put my energy (and limited time - sound the "tight scheduling requirements" horn here) towards working on something I actually will ride. Ivan, I get the sense from this statement that you feel that all mountain bikers of any riding persuasion should be helping with the DJ/FR trail projects. From what I see on this board (and around town), there are MORE than enough DJ/FR types around the valley to enable you guys to make Boise "more well rounded from a cycling standpoint." Further, I think the cycling scene here is plenty round enough for my tastes, so why should I have to be subjected to berating or some DJ/FR guilt trip if I have no intention of making Boise's scene more of what you want it to be? As I discussed with Bombin yesterday, Boise's cycling "scene" is pretty much roadie/XC, and hey, I kind of like it that way since those are the types of riding I do. If you guys (DJ/FR crowd) want to make it "rounded," more power to you, but don't berate or guilt-trip those of us who are more than satisfied with the "roundness" of the scene if we don't care to assist with DJ/FR work.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    But when they see a 70foot gap, they're a bit more inclined...
    La Chalupa, I guess the leg-shaving teenaged roadie I saw last night (on the sweet, tricked out Scott carbon road bike) hadn't gotten the memo on this apparent shift of cycling interest within "Generation X-Box." On a related note, has anyone informed the BYRDS group that they are officially endangered, since all "young kids" will be only getting into FR/DJ now?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    rip
    Group hug cancelled due to sarcasm.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Since gettng old happens to us all.........

I have one friend who's name is Ray, is about 60 and has had 3X bypass surgery I believe, and that was years ago and is doing great. He rides road and mtn and is enjoying his life in sunny Newport Beach, CA. He enjoys his riding as much as anybody.

Another buddy, named Gregg who is approaching that age, he rode a Blur and just purchased an Intense 5.5 I believe around the holidays. He still rides hard, and does big epics.

Another buddy named Keith who has been riding SS for years and is approachign 50 I believe and is an animal (although he says he's slowing down). He is diabetic, as is
    Wade Simmons, I believe. and he is doing great.

So just as we make things like expandable/scalable, whatever.......I want to make my life that, and my riding life - give thanks for the health I have now, hope it continues, and be able to do the things I enjoy doing (like riding) hopefully into old/older age.

So kudos to All who get out there and enjoy it, regardless of their age or what they ride or how they ride.......it is all relative. One of the common denominators is the endorphin rush and health benefits, and I'm sure that you can all name a zillion more common denominators!

SAme goes for say, surfing or skiing or boarding or climbnig or whatever!!!

Surfign for example, some old surfers maybe ride long boards now, although my brother who is almost 45 went through that phase and is back on a shortboard now. He is in Indonesia right now by the way (by himself) surfing Uluwatu! on his way back from a business trip to Singapore for his employer, Boeing.......he said he would probably run into some "crazy aussies" to surf with

mtbr member
    Sorry about all the love love love. I think was just feeling a little sad and lonely. I have been reading this post for about a year and am just wading in for the first time. is earth pig always so cranky? don't make me use my only bullit!
    Nip it in the Bud!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sorry for the confusion, but don't most people get upset not about the fact that some folks like to freeride but that these folks have practiced their skills on erodable, offtrail hillsides?

aaarrrggghh!
    Thanks man, that actually means alot coming from you.

aaarrrggghh!
    I totally respect your position. The "come on out and help" is a blanket statement to all. I wasn't calling out anyone in particular, although I gave Twisted a hard time. I completely understand and would never expect someone who is perfectly content with the local scene to come on out and work on dirtjumps. That would be just plain ridiculous. The Rock Island Trail is NOT a freeride trail, but merely a technical XC trail for all who are intested to enjoy. Check it out. It has ride arounds for every technical feature and you may find yourself wanting to give some sections a go.

From now on I'll preface the post, If your intersted in pitching in on projects that may apply to your riding style, come one out and pitch in. Otherwise give SWIMBA a hand on trails you already like when the time is appropriate.

And let me say this, No chest pounding, but I'm really glad to have pitched in on the Rock Island Trail. It gave me satisfaction to build something for everyone to enjoy regardless of whether you had the time to help or not. I call it charity work, completely selfless for my fellow riders. I hope EVERYONE who wants to can enjoy it, it is afterall, new trail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast