26er

SWIMBA: Rock Island Trail is done !!!

Hello All, After a lot of hard work by a lot of great folks we have completed the Rock Island trail on table rock. Many thanks to all who came out and helped make the trail a success. I would encourage people to go check out the trail and be prepared for an experiance.

I had the chance to ride it this afternoon and had fun pushing myself on the different problems. I was a little sloppy on some of the obstacles, but look forward to improving in the future.

Thanks,
    Chris
    SWIMBA Pres.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

Contagious Xian

Thankful

Big props to all you who helped, totally look forward to riding this. If there's a way to keep future major builds on any day but Sunday morning I'd be up for getting my shovel and labor on out there.

cp

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Big props to all you who helped, totally look forward to riding this. If there's a way to keep future major builds on any day but Sunday morning I'd be up for getting my shovel and labor on out there.

cp
    Agreed on the point of not sunday morning.
    I greatly wanted to show up, but could not go on Sundays.
    And no, I'm not mormon, I hqave just been really busy on all three of the trail days.

Rocks Rock
    Checked it out today after riding in the Owyhees with Steve. It's awesome!!!!!!!!! Thanx Dudes.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member

directions to rock island

I saw pics of the work done. Looks like a lot of fun. So for us 2C"ers, how do you get there?
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

mtbr member

Try

Quote Originally Posted by lv2ride
    I saw pics of the work done. Looks like a lot of fun. So for us 2C"ers, how do you get there?
    Take I84 West until it ends...
    Obviously-just kidding. Where you able to find your RD hanger? I also bent mine during the same ride after I had to dump the bike onto the rocks... I stopped by Reeds and purchased a replacement right away (and I'll keep the slightly bent hanger as a spare)..
    (edited-impy provided better directions)
    G

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Too funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Take I84 West until it ends...
    (edited-impy provided better directions)
    G

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by lv2ride
    There are several who have actually been there, but since they're not talking, here's some 2nd hand info. I talked with Dave Thomas at the last SWIMBA mtg, and he drew me a little map & told me that as you go up the TR trail from the old pen, and as the trail takes a big right, before the trail climbs again to where you take the turnoff for Quarry and Trail, there's a jag right that takes you down to Rock Island. I think it will be easy to find. Hope so, anyway.

He said the trail down to R/I parallels another trail at places, and he wants everyone to be careful not to cut back and forth between the 2.

Hope that vague bit of direction helps more than hurts.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    May 2004

Yes in fact

I haven't ridden it yet but soon.
    Anyway, Dave Gordon said if folks DO start zigging back and forth and cutting other
    lines from this trail to the one that parallels it, then they will CLOSE R.I.

so let's make sure that this gem stays open!

thanks!!!

Hi!!!
    Dave Gordon is doing a presentation at our store tomorrow night. I wonder if he will bring up Rock Island?

26er

right off the...

rock garden trail you will see the signs. The Rock Islands trail is 16B.

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member

thanks for asking flip

Props go out to Aaron at Hyde Park. I took it in and he fixed it up. All it took was a new chain that he gave me a great deal on. If you need a good wrench I have had nothing but good luck with him. P.S. I also ordered another spare which goes into the pack the second I get it!!

I have not ridden in the TR area before. I hope to get out there this weekend sometime.
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Hi!!!
    Dave Gordon gave a presentation at REI tonight on the R-2-R system and he spoke a lil' bit about Rock Island. He had a handful of pix that he took that were similar to what are on the Spudhucksters.com site. He said that if people are gonna be riding it, to please stay on the trail and not zig zag around the area. He said that if people do do that, there is a possibility that the trail could close.

Some other things....

* Polecat Gulch: Funding has been secured for the development of this area...about 7 miles of trails with two different trailheads. Right now they are waiting for the land swap to happen.

* He said that within a year, there could be an additional 25-30% more trails including up around Bogus.

* In 2007, 5 Mile will get an additional 3 miles of trail.

* He'd like to link Bob's and Corral's.

* There are plans for two trail running races in the Military Reserve area. One will be in July I think and that will be put on by Idaho Nordic. Not sure when the other one will be.

Hi!!!
    Here's a short article from today's Statesman:
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/p...603300318/1059

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave

* He'd like to link Bob's and Corral's.

Bob's ends at Corrals (I wonder if he meant the start of Bob's?)....

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Hmmmm....so it wasn't just me.

G- Doesn't Forbidden Love (I think that is what DLight calls it) go from the bench on Bob's to Corrals?
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Hmmmm....so it wasn't just me.

G- Doesn't Forbidden Love (I think that is what DLight calls it) go from the bench on Bob's to Corrals?
    I call it BJ.... it goes from the Corrals (hidden entrance to the golf course). However, I typically connect it to the powerline from the golf course which is a nice steep trail that ends at the bench on the dam. Hardly anyone rides these trails.
    BTW- BJ is closed to bikes.