SWIMBA meeting this wednesday night

at the flicks at 7pm...
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

roar
    Hey. Someone told me the other night that the Flicks were going out of business. Is this true?
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    Hey. Someone told me the other night that the Flicks were going out of business. Is this true?
    i hope not. but with the new edwards at bodo, who knows.

they don't really compete as far as movies types go. edwards gets all the ben affleck and tom cruise movies, and the flicks gets the good movies.

and the flicks serves beer which is totally titz.

i'll be pissed if the new edwards has shut down the flicks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    i hope not. but with the new edwards at bodo, who knows.

they don't really compete as far as movies types go. edwards gets all the ben affleck and tom cruise movies, and the flicks gets the good movies.

and the flicks serves beer which is totally titz.

i'll be pissed if the new edwards has shut down the flicks.
    The Flicks is small, smelly, has overpriced liquor (wow, you can drink booze in a theater,... yawn) and is crammed with pretentious artsy fartsy types who smell worse than the Flicks. And the darn line which forms 20 minutes before the movie is ridiculous even for movie-goers leaving their film (probably a subtitled French drama about a clown who skydives in order to raise money for a deaf mute Hitler lookalike named Sally O'Malley Schmidt).

What is the attraction to The Flicks? Is it one of those things where supporting The Flicks makes someone feel superior to an Edwards patron??

mtbr member

hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by westin
    The Flicks is small, smelly, has overpriced liquor (wow, you can drink booze in a theater,... yawn) and is crammed with pretentious artsy fartsy types who smell worse than the Flicks. And the darn line which forms 20 minutes before the movie is ridiculous even for movie-goers leaving their film (probably a subtitled French drama about a clown who skydives in order to raise money for a deaf mute Hitler lookalike named Sally O'Malley Schmidt).

What is the attraction to The Flicks? Is it one of those things where supporting The Flicks makes someone feel superior to an Edwards patron??
    must be troll day...

sharing the love

The Flicks is cool because:

They show movies that Edwards doesn't
    It doesn't feel like Las Vegas (i.e. Edwards)
    You can bring a pitcher of beer in with you (yes, that's cool)
    It's not Edwards

Edwards is cool because:

A lady painted like a clown will take your ticket and say "This a very good movie...Keanu Reeves at his best" (BTW, Keanu Reeves has steadily declined in talent since Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure)
    [SIZE=1]"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells[/SIZE]

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Also

Flicks is cool because
    -people who go there wear wool.
    -the people there smell funny
    -you have to wait outside sometimes.
    -the bathroom is small enough that when you spackle it doesn't echo
    -you can ride a bike to it
    -people go there because it has different movies than Edwards

Edward's is cool because
    -you get to pay 8 bucks for a Coke and a bag of popcorn.
    -you can see the influence of MTV on today's kids.
    -you can see the lastest mall hair trends.
    -if you bring a stripper there, everyone will think it is just part of the decor
    -you can wait in line inside the Vegas-style lobby with 100 other people and listen to their conversations about American Idol and the weird people that go to the Flicks
    -when you spackle in their bathroom it echoes and you gross out 40 more people then you do at the Flicks
    -less people wear wool there.
    -it is 5 miles closer to the feedlots in Kuna
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

I'll take the troll bait - because you knew I would

If we're overgeneralizing like this, I have two questions.

First, what is it with buying a home in Stepford (Hidden) Springs? Stepford Springs is a bunch of cookie-cutter, wanna-be starter mansions, populated by a bunch of right-wing desperate housewives and their shallow, materialistic closeted gay husbands from California, who all drive Tichonderoga-class SUVs and/or $50K German sports cars because they have self-image issues. Add on that, the Redtail trail system is boring, the charter school is snobby and exclusive, and the "Merc" is lame. What is the attraction of living in Stepford Springs? Is it one of those things where buying an overpriced, cheaply built starter mansion in a snobby neighborhood that requires the overuse of fossil fuels just to get anywhere that makes someone feel superior to people living in the rest of the valley?

That said, what is it with cyclists who wear wool? It's itchy and waaaaaay overpriced. Is it one of those things where wearing a wool jersey makes one feel superior to cyclists who don't wear wool?

Isn't it fun when we overgeneralize about a place or a class of people?

Since you and I were invited to go there....

I always imagined this conversation goin on...

A: Where do you live?
    B: Stepford Springs
    A: Where is that?
    B. Ummm....by the Dump.
    A. Wow...how much did you pay?
    B. Ummmm....are you wearing wool?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Isn't it fun when we overgeneralize about a place or a class of people?
    Leave the poor boy alone OK? He draws the shades while he wanks to his pictures of Polynesia stewardesses so he's not harming anybody.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

I was wondering when the asian woman reference would kick in....

Edwards patrons do set a hell of a high water mark. It must be the non-hippie diet...and back pressure in the chute.

I'll try not spackle in your general direction....

Hi!!!
    I'm a Netflix guy. Just load up my queue from work or home and I'm good to go. Just wait for Ms. Postperson to deliver them to my mail box (I'm on the 2 movie-at-a-time plan). However with the Olys in full swing, I've got two DVDs from them collecting dust right now.

Being the antisocial fool that I am, I'm just not a movie going type of guy. I haven't been to the Flicks in probably 10+ years. The last time I was at a multiplex was back in Arlington, VA in 2001 with some friends. The last time I was at Edwards was when the first Star Wars came out and I skipped work that day and was in the theater with about 12 other geeks.

When we were at BSU, we'd hit Edwards every couple of weeks and would sometimes hit those midnight movies that were at that theater on Overland across from Hillcrest or that one at the 5 Mile strip mall next to the Chinese restaurant.

Like alot of people, the only time I can watch movies is on the weekends and megaplexes are the wrong place to be if you are easily annoyed by cell phones, teeny boppers, and $10 tix. I much rather be at home on the couch where it's nice and quiet to watch a movie. While I may have to wait a couple of months for a new release to come out, I'll gladly take that tradeoff than dealing with the megaplex scene.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

nazi midget skydivers

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Edwards patrons do set a hell of a high water mark.
    Outside of the Western Idaho Fair, Edwards does present some of the best redneck people-watching opportunities in the valley.

As for the Edwards - Flicks debate, call me silly, but I'd rather patronize a small, locally-owned business than a mega-conglomerate chain, especially when the small, locally-owned business lets me get a buzz while watching movies about nazi midget skydivers.

I think Stepford Springs could use some more nazi midget skydivers.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I think Stepford Springs could use some more nazi midget skydivers.
    You're silly. Teeheehee. They could use them only if they wrestle in a vat of Mazola.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member

Can't add anything

but, it is funny that someone that buys in hidden springs would have a comment like westin's.

i'm anxiously awaiting a reply from him.

seems the hippy northenders have ganged up on his hiddens springs ass.

roar
    Oh man. Thanks guys for the laughs. Its been a while since we had a good thread with stupid and funny stuff so I could get a good giggle. Westin, you rock. Keep posting dumb stuff, cause you make a good target.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    They could use them only if they wrestle in a vat of Mazola.
    What about a vat of KY and chardonnay? Do you think KY and chardonnay will stain wool?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Outside of the Western Idaho Fair, Edwards does present some of the best redneck people-watching opportunities in the valley.
    There are certain places that if I go to them with my wife, she will insist that we leave this red red-neck state immediately. We call these locales, "high I.Q. (Idaho Quotient) places". The Western Idaho Fair definitely qualifies -- we have never been there. Anything around Chinden, especially on hot summer days. That "lodge" in Lowman (though it has since changed hands) where we once stopped to use the restroom and they replied they didn't have one though there were half a dozen guys sitting around the bar at 10:00 in the morning and then some guy followed me around as I walked our dog. Please for my sake if you know of others list them. I must, I must avoid them! I like it here!

mtbr member

Wink i'll play

in addition to being a small, locally owned business that brings us great films that we might not see otherwise, the owner carole is a great lady and very invested in our community. not only does she screen funky, independent films (and some not-so funky ones...remember whale rider? the cute little sproglet almost got an oscar for that one) but she opens her venue as a forum for community groups and events. such as last night's SWIMBA mtg. that was the topic of the thread we've hijacked. anyone go? i didn't.

how invested do you think edwards is in our community? not that they are supposed to be, hell that's what capitalism is all about. they have no accountability to us other than obeying city building codes. and robbing us blind on overpriced crap food to feed our hoardes of overweight children.

i'm a lifetime northender, try not to leave downtown unless it is on a plane. i have no comment on stepford springs, except that you wouldn't catch me living there. you can smell the elitism over the dump stench. (the dump is cool though-i like the seagulls)

live and let live i say, better out there than in a starter castle next to me and my humble NE cottage. and go to edward's if you want, but you're missing out if you think that is all there is.

the flicks is cool. we're lucky to have it. now if we could just get a good mom-and-pop video store in hyde park...with no backtalk. just a good film-nerd run joint.

(**bonus**= nutritional yeast on the popcorn at the flicks! i know, ewwwww, but i was raised on the stuff and i love it)

~rant over~
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    i'm anxiously awaiting a reply from him.
    Don't hold your breath. It appears that he's too busy violating copyright laws.

Hi!!!

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    at the flicks at 7pm...
    I realize being the Prez of SWIMBA is a thankless job, but....

The last meeting mins were from November 2005. Are more recent mins available?

The last newsletter was from this past summer I believe. Is there a fall or winter one floating out there?

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    There are certain places that if I go to them with my wife, she will insist that we leave this red red-neck state immediately. We call these locales, "high I.Q. (Idaho Quotient) places". The Western Idaho Fair definitely qualifies -- we have never been there. Anything around Chinden, especially on hot summer days. That "lodge" in Lowman (though it has since changed hands) where we once stopped to use the restroom and they replied they didn't have one though there were half a dozen guys sitting around the bar at 10:00 in the morning and then some guy followed me around as I walked our dog. Please for my sake if you know of others list them. I must, I must avoid them! I like it here!
    1) Anything west of Meridian...more specifically Canyon County, especially the WalFart in Caldwell (that's where you will find me though on the weekends grocery shopping ).

2) That one gas station in Idaho City. Whenever I go in there I'm standing shoulder-to-shoulder with sledheads and trying to avoid stepping on one of those little dogs.

3) Mores Creek Summit parking lot and the Whoop-Em-Up parking lot on the weekends after a big snowstorm.

4) Sportsman Warehouse and the soon-to-be-built Cabelas.

5) The Idaho Legislature.

6) Lake Lowell/Lucky Peak on a 100 degree Saturday afternoon in July.

7) Meridian Speedway/Firebird Raceway/that other oval in that neck of the woods where I think they had a bike race once??
    Last edited by BelaySlave; 02-16-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    i have no comment on stepford springs, except that you wouldn't catch me living there. you can smell the elitism over the dump stench. (the dump is cool though-i like the seagulls)
    Just my sarcastic way of using Stepford Springs to point out the absurdity of westin's overgeneralization about the Flicks and its patrons. (I have nothing personally against Stepford or its residents, but those damn commies in the People's Republic of the North End - don't get me started! )

Hi!!!
    It'll be interesting to see how BoDo does in the next couple of years. I think I'm in my 9th year of working downtown and the times I've made the trek to the 8th St. Marketplace I think I can only count 'em on one hand. I don't know, for some odd reason I just think that area is worlds apart from downtown. Now this was before BoDo ever broke ground. Maybe it will be different once more things start going in. I have no desire to go to P.F. Changs and I have no desire to hit up Edwards. I'm not a clothes shopper. I did go to the Office Depot there a couple of weeks ago and that is NICE. Big and clean and just mins from the office. Other than that nothing really draws me there. I think a couple of restaurants are suppose to go in (like at least one pizza joint and I think a smoothie shop), but if I want pizza I'll go to the Pie Hole and if I want a smoothie I'll go to Andy's or Thomas Hammer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    1) Anything west of Meridian...more specifically Canyon County, especially the WalFart in Caldwell (that's where you will find me though on the weekends grocery shopping ).
    Now, now it ain't all bad. That Blue Canoe Restaurant b/w Dan's & Murphy is pretty cool. And Dan's Ferry ain't bad ... on weekdays at least

7) Meridian Speedway/Firebird Raceway/that other oval in that neck of the woods where I think they had a bike race once??
    oooohhhhhh, you've been to the Speedway? on a race night???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast