mtbr member
    Jul 2011

(Sweet) Sweet Connie Thoughts

Today I took a half day of work and decided to Eastside one more time before the snow hits. I had a friend shuttle me up there so I could try out Sweet Connie and take Bogus Basin rd back to town at the SSC exit.

I should've asked someone if it was a good idea, but I rode it on my rigid SS which made for an "interesting" ride once leaving the sweet pine smell and heavenly shade of Eastside.

The first 25% was so sandy I had to ride pretty slow. The second 25% was a complete bushwhack followed up by a rocky then clumpy ride that would've been awesome on a full susp... but absolute murder on my rigid. The last 25% I was so sore and frustrated I couldn't enjoy it, though it looked like that last part would be a blast going the other direction. Tons of rock features and fun looking stuff. I thought I was going the wrong way until I saw a couple cars cruise by.

So I was pretty disappointed in that trail.. What do you guys make of Connie?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i have not heard good things but have never ridden it
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I used to ride SC 4-5 years ago in the spring before the cows would get to it. It was a good climb and before the top got grooved up the upper descent was worth poking through the moon rocks below. We had some great snow-riding sessions in there as well. Its supposed to be re-routed, but until then there's other rides to do. I'm sure other Members have more info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had heard from a number of people that it was a great ride... I absolutely hated it... Will partially blame the rigid, but next time I'm looping back up bb rd and taking hard stud down

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    It used to be a great ride. Then it got a name. Then more people started riding it. Then the rains came. Then the cows came.

Now it's toast - a victim of its own success.

Now only fun when you do something like ride up Hard Guy first. That way you won't feel so bad about how much it sucks now.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not a big fan of riding down a trough and through hoofed up mine fields.

mtbr member
    Yep, that sounds like SSC. I never understood why that trail had such a spoken glamor to it...about half of that trail has always sucked, it just evolves and the suck takes on different forms...The cows really do a number on that mid section...oh well, its the cows trail, we are lucky to ride it at all.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    Yesterday...Me and my dog, Harry rode from BB road UP Connie and cleared most of the brush, rose bushes etc to the point where the down section meets the dirt road. Had no more time to clear up anymore of the single track. Some like the section thru the lava rock...(tossed off the lose rocks) technical et all...Some don't - go ride the girl you love.

Good to see no such love for the old girl. Connie gets little use these days. Next venture is to cut out the upper brush or wait 4 U 2 DO IT

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for doing that Howie.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Bring Back Big Log!

mtbr member
    Also did some clearing BB road up to lava baby heads. This portion is in good shape without huge cattle prints. Bring pruners and snip away for 20 minutes.

mtbr member
    On Friday/Sat. Harry and I plan to drive up to the Sheep Dip short cut, high up on BB Road and drop onto SS Connie and cut out as much as we can along the trail.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    On Friday/Sat. Harry and I plan to drive up to the Sheep Dip short cut, high up on BB Road and drop onto SS Connie and cut out as much as we can along the trail.
    Sounds like a conspiracy to commit criminal mischief.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Trimming up Connie...errr. Nevermind.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher View Post
    Trimming up Connie...errr. Nevermind.
    To wax or tweeze - that's the question!

mtbr member
    She is still in need of a Trim...Only got Harry into sheep dip and a bit into Connie. Sheep Dip needed a bit of erosion work. We might try again on the weekend.

mtbr member
    So where is the sheep dip cut off?

mtbr member
    ...high up on BB Road...I do not remember the mile marker (about mile 11?) before the 5,000 foot mark. - There is a hard right turn going up with a concrete barrier on the left...On the right is a small parking area and a big tree. On the other side of the barrier is the single/double track going down to Connie...