Living Life Behind Bars..

Sun Valley, Jackson's Hole then Medora ?

Leaving Crested Butte on Aug 13 and have to be back in Ont CA on Aug 21 or 22.

Was hoping to do 2 days in each location to ride and relax. Hotel or Motel options ( no camping gear )

Any suggestions or must do's ?

On the list in pen is the Maah Daah Hey Trail the rest is wide open. Would love to get some local input and ideas. Thx

mtbr member

Mdh

Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    Leaving Crested Butte on Aug 13 and have to be back in Ont CA on Aug 21 or 22.

Was hoping to do 2 days in each location to ride and relax. Hotel or Motel options ( no camping gear )

Any suggestions or must do's ?

On the list in pen is the Maah Daah Hey Trail the rest is wide open. Would love to get some local input and ideas. Thx
    I am originally from that area so I will chime in for you.
    The MDH is around 100 miles of rolling terrain. It has been ridden in one day, but most will break it up into 2-3 days and camp along the way. Unfortunately, being in the Bad Lands, there aren't any way points (in regards to towns/hotels) along the way. It is a point-to-point ride.
    So, you could either do an out-and-back type ride or you can contact Dakota Cyclery and they will hook you up with a shuttle if you are unable to camp.

A couple of other points, the wind usually is quite stiff and most often blows from the North. It is not uncommon to have 30+mph wind days. There are primitve water spots along the way (it is essentially an upland desert and can be blistering hot at times), but you may want to check on the water spots and conditions before you leave. Finally, I think that the ride is a bit better near the North unit versus the Southern unit if you are looking at only doing one portion.

Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by BoiseBoy; 07-24-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    BoiseBoy

thanks for the input, keep em coming if you could.

mtbr member
    I just returned from Ketchum and you should score a condo anywhere around Riverrun lodge. You can jump on the paved bike path and start a truly epic climb up Cold Springs trail! This is a 5 mile climb in which you'll climb just about 4000' to an elevation of about 9000', if you take a quick spin over to Seattle lodge. It's an awesome work out and you'll be treated to some spectacular views. The payoff is 5 miles of descent on Warm Springs trail where you'll be treated to silky smooth, fast, and miles of smiles of downhill! The next day, climb up Bald Mountain trail which is even steeper and then come down Cold Springs.
    New Obama Creed: Change you can believe in TO Change what you believe in

thanks I will make sure we do that one...sounds hard as hell 4000' but will give it a go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Cold Springs to the Warms Springs junction is more like 2,600 feet of climbing. Bald Mountain trail to the top is 3,000 feet of climbing. I would do Bald Mountain trail to Warm Springs or Cold Springs to Warm Springs if you want an easier climb. Cold Springs as a descent is a bit of a snooze. It's just long, strait, side-hill trail with no trees. On day two do something in Adams Gulch or Fox Creek.
    Erik Rolf
    Ketchum, ID
    Visit the website @ http://www.alliancebicycles.com/

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    "Jackson's Hole.".
    Heh.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Ewww. I wouldn't ride near Jackson's Hole. You might catch something.

Now if you rode the Pass....that would be a different matter.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...