juan

Sun Valley advice?

Hey there,

We are 4 riders from Portland taking a trip to SV to ride. I got the adventure maps SV trail map and think i have a good idea on what to ride. can someone confirm if this sounds like a good plan? Camp in the deer creek area - numerous rides leave from the deer creek CG. North fork deer creek, mars ridge, mahoney/greenhorn, curran creek are all right there. Are those all good rides? Any others in the area we should be hitting? we got 5 days of riding.

thanks

mtbr member
    all good riding.

wolftone to curran.

mars ridge from north fork

head up north of ketchum and ride prairie creek to prarie lake to miner lake...

lots of primitive camping along deer creek road.

mtbr member

Mars ridge

Check the sticky for most of the rides you list-
    However north fork of deer creek to mars ridge might need a more detailed discription from garnet spur-

From N. Fork of Deer Creek road I've gone up Howard's trail to Greenhorn to Mars Ridge then down to Deer Creek. Epic 5 hour ride. From Deer Creek up toward Mars will get quite steep....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, all those you've listed are good. You might also consider a shot to Stanley for a day or 2 of riding. Some great/classic rides there (Fisher Creek, Big Basin/Little Basin & Redfish Lake trail are a few) Depending on your schedule you could camp in the Stanley area and then loop back to I84 via Hwy 21 or Hwy 21 & Hwy 55 (thru Garden Valley). Lots of info on this area in the sticky threads & recent posts too.

juan
    thanks for the lowdown

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You guys really need to consider the Martin Lake trail (and you do actually ride into a lake). I did it just 3 weeks ago. It can be . The first 3 miles have a few minor climbs and the last 1-1.5 miles has a few hike-a-bikes with a half dozen wood bridges and creek crossings. It easily rivals the “baby heads” on Elk Meadows for techi-stuff. The whole loop including Trap Creek/Swamp Creek surpasses Elk Meadows and Fisher-Williams for ride fun and challenge. The entire loop is about 13-15 miles with about 2-3 on the highway without a shuttle car. There are about 6 creek crossing on Swamp Creek and I guarantee wet feet. Both downhills from the Lake are top notch but do not ride in from Swamp Creek. The ride shows up on the Stanley White Cloud Ride Map. See below. It can be purchased in shops in Sun Valley and Stanley.

Try Martin Lake then Elk Meadows in the same day, you’ll be smiling and your butts will be draggin after about 30 miles of riding. Most Stanley rides includes some time on dirt and paved roads but just being in the Stanley area is worth drive. Scenary is amazing.

http://www.2pedal.com/store/productV...=9780971097179

mtbr member
    swamp/trap is awesome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender
    The entire loop is about 13-15 miles with about 2-3 on the highway without a shuttle car. There are about 6 creek crossing on Swamp Creek and I guarantee wet feet. Both downhills from the Lake are top notch but do not ride in from Swamp Creek.
    http://www.2pedal.com/store/productV...=9780971097179
    I am planning to give this ride a try this weekend (assuming that I don't get rained out). Just to clarify, you start at the Trap creek trailhead, ride up trail 627 to Marten lake then on to Swamp (trail 026) back to highway 21?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Park at the Vader Creek rest area on Hwy 21-There is a toilet there. Ride the asphalt to the trail-6 to one- 1/2 dozen to another if you do it clock wise or counter clock wise...

Turn off of main trail to the lake. distance to lake is a few hundred yards.

mtbr member
    Anyone know the current condition of Deer Creek Road? Can you still get up to camping and trailheads without 4x4? Read there may be closures on the Big Wood Backcountry Trails site, but it doesn't say how far up or if it is still a problem. Thanks for any info...

Deer Creek Road # 097: Following a wash out in June, the road is now temporarily passable by high clearance vehicles with 4 wheel drive. It is not passable by trailers or cars.

mtbr member
    deer creek road all the way to the end was fine on a couple weeks ago (8/1/09)

made it down there in my wifes volvo V50 - (normal clearance wagon..not the cross country).

it's fine.

they should update their site...date things...or put a disclaimer that their info could be outta date...

but, they're probably busy riding..which is a good excuse..i suppose.

with that said...if you're planning to ride curran...from wolftone...

riding up wolftone was pretty tough towards the top..when you get outta the trees (away from the creek). rutted pretty bad...really loose...

little hike a bike...

but, that climb is always tough, i suppose...once it leaves the creek, that is...